Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
I'm not the most active maemo-contributor in any way but I do keep my N810 around and a few times, in different situations it has 'saved me'. Even though...it's a dead OS.

My N810 use is currently, approximately;

25%: SMS and transcribed voicemails through Dialcentral
This is the app that has 'saved' me the most.

10% Quick notes on...Quicknote.
Love this app (but I liked it more before those slide bars appeared and stole a lot of screen-realestate).

10% The occasional podcast through Gpodder and Panucci
I use my Zune but sometimes I get a podcast onto it 'just because'.

10% Note-taking on YellowNotes
Still one of my most favorite apps

10% Tracking appointments in Seqretary
Still lacking a lot of features this is still the best schedule app I found.

10% Skype calls
Not bad when in a bind.

10% The occasional game through VGBA
Final Fantasy II and Mana Sword at the moment

5% The occasional movie through MPlayer

5% Email checking through Macuco
I'd use it more if it wasn't so slow and only allowed for one gmail account.

5% Alarmclock with Flipclock
The app has a pretty big footprint and have failed me a few times so I normally just use my phone.

Even though I'm "awaiting Mer" I can't help but to wonder how/if it would change my usage.

How are you other, legacy-device users using yours?
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to silvermountain For This Useful Post:
I dusted my N810 for the sole purpose of testing my Pandora Radio app/GUI because someone else requested I port it for them.

I now carry it with me to tether to my G1 phone to listen to Pandora.. because I like my app & pianobar better than Pandora's .

That's all I really use it for though.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Don't have a N900 - only an N810 and an N800. really want a N900, but don't like the smaller screen, and no navigation, and the fact theat the wife would kill me if I dropped 500 notes on one! Cannot help feeling that it's just a faster N810, and suffers from the same half-hearted, and half finished feel that earlier versions have.

The N810 is my main device, and is used for the following..

MP3 playing with Canola as the whole library random mode is so easy, and with mplayer as the back end it supports A2DP nicely, so I can use my stereo bluetooth headphones. Oh yea, podcasts and internet radio as well.

Web browsing, microb.

Email ( modest - default using gmail via IMAP)

Twitter - Mauku

Xterm - for SSHing to my Mythtv server

Mplayer - for playback of transcoded recordings from Mythtv, and DVD rips.

Built in chat for Gtalk, MSN and now facebook chat.

OMweather for weather (what else!)

Maemo Mapper for moving Gmaps displaying live traffic information

Wayfinder, for when I need Sat Nav

Flipclock - for when I need a large time display

OSM2GO for mapping my local area to add to Openstreetmap.

Posts: 637 | Thanked: 445 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Kaliningrad, Russia
I do love my n810!
And I really sad about the degradation of Internet tablets - I mean n900 (It my opinion.) I hope Nokia will create something between 770 and n810 for us.

40% is for Web access for me. (Tear with some improvements)
10% is for IM (jubber) and VOIP (Skype) (Thelepathy, Pidgin, Skype)
30% is for reading (Fbreader)
10% is for listening music and watching a movies (or youtube) between the lessons in the university (Youamp, @scene, Mplayer)
10% is for other fings, like games or music (Theremin), office (working with .doc, .xml etc) (Abiword, gnumeric) or GPS navigation (I love the GPS so much, it works very good and saved me so many times) (maemo mapper + minigpsd)

Unfortunately its not so good like my Palm TX. Palm much better like PDA, but n810 is an Internet tablet, not PDA. I am using both of it.

Last edited by Kroll; 2010-02-12 at 20:41.

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
I use my N810 every day. It's my primary PIM device using GPE aps and Notecase which are file compatible on my Ubuntu systems. If you will my use approach is as a pocket computer with Internet access. I very much like the USB Interface that allows me to be Host or Device. The lack of a proper USB alone is enough to keep me away from an N900. I will be using the N810 for a long time.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fragos For This Useful Post:
I have both the N800 and the N810 and plan to use them for awhile. Use mine mostly for listening to Old Time Radio shows on an application I developed called otrplayer. Also track my car mileage on my Car Mileage Calculator (mileage). Other than that do some web access but run out of memory fast on some sites. Also use to read my email on the go. Use mplayer to capture mp3 streams that I wish to record to listen to at a later time.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce Forsberg For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
The N810 is a better book reader than the N900, no question about it, because of the larger screen. I have been reading Kindle books on the N810 because I like the color screen.

Also, the N810 allows you to play Audible books, and the N900 doesn't. That is a big plus.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
fbreader, internet, email, seqretary, gvoice w/gizmo, streaming tv & radio, rss feedreader, map, maemo mapper, gps, trustme, etc.
- it's indispensable to me.
i wish i could get regular earbuds to work with the built - in mic for phonecalls like others supposedly can.
Kroll - abiword really works for you in diablo? which version?

The Following User Says Thank You to wesgreen For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I was just thinking about this earlier today.

I use my N810 almost everyday but I don't use Modest e-mail. I do use Tear or MicroB, I do use DialCentral like a champion, I don't tether it to my iPhone (although I've used Maemo PAN without a prob in the past) but... I use it when I don't feel like lugging my laptop around.

And honestly, it works just fine.

Notes with Xournal - handwritten all the way, IM's via RTComm, web surfing the majority of the web (all but Hulu) and it works just like I want it to. Heck, I even admin two websites with it.

I keep mine because it does what I want it to do. Play music, play a few movies, allows me to read some comic book cbr's via Evince, and is the right size.

GPS, meh. I had to use it one time while camping, got a lock in under 2 minutes. First damn time it's ever done that, and I couldn't be happier. I don't expect that normally, but sure enough, it came through when I needed it.

I actually still love the N810. It became a piece of equipment that I use quite often... that's why I keep mine.

Awesome thread.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
You read comic books, gerbick?

Didn't see that one coming.

Tags
makes love to n810, squirt squirt