Active Topics

Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
He noticed the last time the subject came up... but I have not yet found that thread...
I think you're looking for this one: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=33519

The Following User Says Thank You to jsa For This Useful Post:
I think nokia started with the wrong foot. This way it will not attract developers to OVI for sure. I don’t see any commitment to open source in this approach. Nokia need to change this immediately. They are using the work of many developers for free in the OVI store, but if you want to sell your program they don’t let you. That’s insane. They don’t get that this is bad for them?

The Following User Says Thank You to drm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
It's obvious by now, based on the amount of debate we've had with no resolution yet, that this isn't as simple a subject as some would have it....

Posts: 143 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Houston
Can't we create a sort of front enterprise through which everyone could publish their stuff? Any individual developer could become an independent contractor for this organization and publish their apps through that. Maemo Independent Developers, hehe

Is this reasonable? We could even petition Nokia for some logistic support, in case this consumes too much time... Maybe the maemo council could sponsor this?

The Following User Says Thank You to tpaixao For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by drm View Post
They don’t get that this is bad for them?
Nokia has the hallmarks of an organisation at war with itself. It's obvious there are different groups trying to pull the company in different directions so what we get from them is a compromise of different interests.

Motorola were the same about 5 years ago. As you can see it didn't go to well for them.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sharper For This Useful Post:
Posts: 116 | Thanked: 156 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Yorkshire
Originally Posted by tpaixao View Post
Can't we create a sort of front enterprise through which everyone could publish their stuff?
It's a good idea, in principal. But, it's fraught with problems. The first one being accountability. Can you imagine the fallout if somebody managed to release an app with malicious elements?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by xmob View Post
It's a good idea, in principal. But, it's fraught with problems. The first one being accountability. Can you imagine the fallout if somebody managed to release an app with malicious elements?
Right. As I said I *started* down that path but treading carefully. It may well be this is too big for me to take on, but I at least want to explore the possibility... especially if it turns out more people get engaged.

I'm no developer only a consumer. I can see the point about VAT registration being important to the store, but why Nokia wouldn't allow individuals with appropriate VAT registration to sell their stuff through the OVI store is unclear to me. Anyone understand their rationale?

In my mind I believe Nokia is going to need every single developer they can get a hold of if they are going compete with Android, Apple, and even WinMo. Basically the phone/unit is just a channel for consuming software, apps, movies etc, why restrict this as long as the software is well developed?

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Just a guess: liability.

I am interested to see how this turns out.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Originally Posted by xmob View Post
With this way of thinking it’s better to close the doors. Beside that look at what nokia has attracted to their OVI store with is current policy. I have a Nokia 5800 and half of the application available are full of malicious elements. It’s really impossible to use. The only company that has good stuff is offscreen which I really suspect that it’s nokia itself pretending to be an independent company.