Notices

Okay everybody, there's a new version in extras-testing. Please test it and vote it up!

Last edited by joshn53; 2010-06-22 at 13:53. Reason: Corrected link

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 220 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Surrey, UK
Thanks Josh. Am looking at the page but can't see where to vote?
There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death. Proverbs 14:12

Originally Posted by cardiff-blues View Post
Thanks Josh. Am looking at the page but can't see where to vote?
Oops, I posted the wrong link. I've corrected it now; here's the right one.

Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
My feedback:
  • Settings window feels cluttered and strange, especially with install/remove translations on the right. I'd recommend putting them in the left or moving them to the select translations screen
  • Use of buttons for everything tends to give it a cluttered feel. "Select Translations" window and Search sidebar could at least be a List.
  • Tapping on the search field in "Select Book" causes it to switch to the main screen without doing anything
  • Current Book would be a nice search option
  • I wonder if there would be good ways to declutter "Select Book" and "Select Chapter" without drastically increasing scrolling.

Reading the status post, I definitely look forward to comparing verses (plugins for this could be good, like to create a gospel harmony), bookmarks, and notes.

I assume text selection for copying will eventually be supported?

Any thoughts on religious writings outside of the Bible, like from Islam, LDS, apocryphal writings, etc? I wouldn't even know if they are available in a supported format.

When I get some time later I'll get on the package page and go through the QA checklist

EDIT: Also rotation lock would be nice

Last edited by epage; 2010-06-22 at 14:53.

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by epage View Post
My feedback:
Any thoughts on religious writings outside of the Bible, like from Islam, LDS, apocryphal writings, etc? I wouldn't even know if they are available in a supported format.
BoM module: http://richard.esplins.org/siwi/ (may also be available somewhere in a SWORD archive--i don't recall now--the JST is commonly available FWIW).
It is mentioned on the SWORD mailing list archive that the Quran is available.

However, with the exception of the JST, these don't work right in Rapier as far as i can see and can't even be loaded in Katana because they are implemented as general books "genbooks". Currently, Katana only loads biblical texts.

Here's a post talking about genbooks (in context of Quran):
http://www.crosswire.org/pipermail/s...il/020617.html

The SWORD project leads are generally antipathetic toward "cult/unorthodox" material as can readily be seen by a search of the mailing list archive. I spent some time looking at how to get better support for non-biblical texts with a similar book/chapter/verse structure and didn't make much progress due to complete unfamiliarity with SWORD and really poor/limited documentation.

I currently have a python script that screen-scrapes the Online Edition of the standard works and makes a local, link-corrected copy with custom CSS that i can then access with MicroB for my non-biblical scripture reference. That approach has about the same level of functionality as Katana at present but will be difficult to significantly improve. The hope was to modify the script to produce a module compatible with either SWORD (Katana) or some other e-book format, but there is a lack of e-book readers on Maemo with a feature set to justify the effort and a lack of a clearly superior e-book format in general--every single one involves some negative tradeoff.

There's also Thummin Reader, which is no longer maintained, which struck off on its own due to the same limitations of SWORD.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Last edited by Flandry; 2010-06-22 at 16:48.

Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
BoM module: http://richard.esplins.org/siwi/ (may also be available somewhere in a SWORD archive--i don't recall now--the JST is commonly available FWIW).
It is mentioned on the SWORD mailing list archive that the Quran is available.

However, with the exception of the JST, these don't work right in Rapier as far as i can see and can't even be loaded in Katana because they are implemented as general books "genbooks". Currently, Katana only loads biblical texts.

Here's a post talking about genbooks (in context of Quran):
http://www.crosswire.org/pipermail/s...il/020617.html

The SWORD project leads are generally antipathetic toward "cult/unorthodox" material as can readily be seen by a search of the mailing list archive. I spent some time looking at how to get better support for non-biblical texts with a similar book/chapter/verse structure and didn't make much progress due to complete unfamiliarity with SWORD and really poor/limited documentation.

I currently have a python script that screen-scrapes the Online Edition of the standard works and makes a local, link-corrected copy with custom CSS that i can then access with MicroB for my non-biblical scripture reference. That approach has about the same level of functionality as Katana at present but will be difficult to significantly improve. The hope was to modify the script to produce a module compatible with either SWORD (Katana) or some other e-book format, but there is a lack of e-book readers on Maemo with a feature set to justify the effort and a lack of a clearly superior e-book format in general--every single one involves some negative tradeoff.

There's also Thummin Reader, which is no longer maintained, which struck off on its own due to the same limitations of SWORD.
Thummim's scraper has been broken for a long while. I was looking at taking over maintainership except that was a big limiting factor.

The LDS Church has focused on single sourcing its scriptures in an XML file to be used for print, online, mobile readers, etc. I don't know if that is available but there is now a web API to the scriptures. The Android and iPhone versions of Mobile Gospel Library convert everything into a preprocessed sqlite database for faster loading.

See https://tech.lds.org/wiki/index.php/...ibrary_Project

I've been tempted to make a "Mobile Gospel Library" for Maemo but have had mixed feelings of writing a targeted application over contributing somehow to a general application. I know they like having a targeted one so it can be branded with the Church's trademark and people can know its legitimate.

Originally Posted by epage View Post
Thummim's scraper has been broken for a long while. I was looking at taking over maintainership except that was a big limiting factor.
I emailed him about it about sixth months ago and, much later, receieved a response that he had fixed it to work with the current webpage. I didn't try it because i already had my script worked out and have been busy elsewhere, but that reader looks better than anything available. Unfortunately, it uses GTK, so i'm not inclined to spend time on it.

The LDS Church has focused on single sourcing its scriptures in an XML file to be used for print, online, mobile readers, etc. I don't know if that is available but there is now a web API to the scriptures. The Android and iPhone versions of Mobile Gospel Library convert everything into a preprocessed sqlite database for faster loading.

See https://tech.lds.org/wiki/index.php/...ibrary_Project

I've been tempted to make a "Mobile Gospel Library" for Maemo but have had mixed feelings of writing a targeted application over contributing somehow to a general application.
That's exactly my thought on the matter, which is why i was looking at SWORD. Best case scenario would be to prepare a converter to SWORD module and get the needed enhancements into SWORD so that all efforts on things i consider essential (highlighted passages, powerful search, annotations, etc.) would benefit all and be more portable. The big problem with every purpose-built reader/study app to date is lack of forward, backward, and lateral compatibilty; the risk of losing year(s) of annotations is a big turnoff that dissuades serious usage of portable scripture apps, a problem that i see as an increasingly serious handicap.

A good SWORD-based Qt study app has the potential to really resolve a lot of these issues and be useful on many platforms, but there is a lot of effort required at several levels before that can be realized.

Sorry for the OT, but perhaps the digression has been useful as a sort of vision statement for some of us interested in Katana as a potential beginning of the ultimate scripture study app on Maemo and more.

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Northeast USA
I've been waiting for Katana to come out ever since this thread started, and I was lucky enough to stumble on it. I must say, I could hardly contain my excitement.

I REALLY want to vote it up, but I've come across a few things that really should be looked at before it's extras ready.

1. Installing the Klingon Language Version (a must-have for any Bible application) seems to have deleted the English Standard Version. Reinstalling ESV was a simple matter, but I don't know why it wiped it out.

2. "Go to Chapter" should probably be something like "Go to Passage", seeing as it applies to changing books as well.

3. *feature request* It would be really nice to be able to move to the next book from the reading screen, having to go into the "Go to Chapter" section strikes me as counter-intuitive.

4. *another feature request* One of the things I liked about Rapier was the copy-paste functionality. (Even if it was really clunky) Hover mode (and gestures in general) would be awesome for that.

5. Most importantly, when hitting the kinetic bounce area on the top and bottom of the reading area, it seems to leave behind artifacts in the rebound area.

It's a wonderful application, and even though I thought some bits were a little cluttered at first, I've found it flows quite naturally to have things laid out the way they are. Kudos to everyone involved.

Originally Posted by Zibeb View Post
I've been waiting for Katana to come out ever since this thread started, and I was lucky enough to stumble on it. I must say, I could hardly contain my excitement.

I REALLY want to vote it up, but I've come across a few things that really should be looked at before it's extras ready.

1. Installing the Klingon Language Version (a must-have for any Bible application) seems to have deleted the English Standard Version. Reinstalling ESV was a simple matter, but I don't know why it wiped it out.
Klingon bible? What is the word for "charity"?

This is probably due to an issue i discovered. When i first installed Katana, it found and used the modules i had installed with Rapier. As soon as i used Katana to install a module, all the former modules disappeared.

What happens is that Katana (appropriately IMO) uses ~/.sword as its module directory, while Rapier uses ~/sword. Apparently Katana will see and use ~/sword until something exists in ~/.sword.

I copied the modules from ~/sword to ~/.sword and then deleted ~/sword and symlinked it to ~/.sword.

So, i guess Katana should be changed to always read modules from both if possible, or to always use ~/.sword so as to not create confusion.

The Following User Says Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 23 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Northeast USA
Klingon bible? What is the word for "charity"?
There are many words that there just is no translation for, so it just puts the English in there. I always thought it was funny that "Love" is always English in the KLV.

I copied the modules from ~/sword to ~/.sword and then deleted ~/sword and symlinked it to ~/.sword.
Symlinking ~/.sword is brilliant, I wouldn't have thought of that. Maybe it would be nice to have an install option that would do that automagically, in case you wanted to jump between Rapier and Katana. (Although I can't really imagine myself going back to Rapier now; even if it does have copy-paste functionality)

Tags
bible, maemo 5, rapier, reference browser, religious apps, scripture reader, sword