Active Topics

Notices

Weeeelllll, such a goodie I found for you today:

google "pastebin mobidedrm", you will want both versions 0.01 & 0.02 as not all files work in both scripts. It does not change the format of the file only strips out the DRM so you can use it on a device like the NIT's in Fbreader which does not support DRM'd ebooks. I mean I still have to buy the books but it sure makes all my old content easy to move over to the tablet too.

I am not sure the specific reason but apparently these scripts are kosher and not breaking the rules due to them not using any copyrighted code. So now Mobi format files are as open as .LIT format.

There is also a script to explode the HTML of your mobi format files so you can then run something to convert them for use on the Sony.

Much discussion has been going on over on Mobilereader (in the lounge) about these scripts...

I tested both versions of the scripts on my tablet and they work directly on the tablet. If you get a "string index out of range" error try the other script version.

Slow as heck on the tablet but that is compared to a 2.2Ghz dual-core laptop. Maybe 2-mins to open up a 900k book. Still that's not awful really.

Last edited by brecklundin; 2008-03-05 at 15:57. Reason: changed suggested search terms -- removed .py from the script name...works easier ;)

Thank god I only purchased one mobi-format book. I learned from that one, and ended up uninstalling mobireader (it was hard, but I finally got rid of it) and the book, and getting it in a better format. I prefer Plucker by far, but IMO any other format is far, far better than Mobireader. It's as poor as any app I ever tried on my Palm. You're welcome to it.

Posts: 282 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Penniless Park, Fla.
- ebooks are a natural commodity for the NIT... there are plenty of sources for ebooks (gutenberg, baen, tor, etc.)... but i'm not sure if many NIT users would suffer poor performance over a 'native' format (such as pdf, html, txt, etc.)...

- i'm grateful for all the sources of ebooks... ebooks seem to work much better on the NIT than video (although i do have the entire Prisoner series - which works acceptably)...

:-)

ummm....did ya miss the point?

for those who actually are stuck and cannot read their DRM'd mobi format books because Fbreader does not support reading Secure Mobi format, they can now do it...it has nothing to do with performance or format shifting. Once the DRM is stripped Mobi format reads just fine in Fbreader.

DRM is a fact of life at this microsecond. Something like this utility gives a person a way to not have to abandon some of their books which they paid for because they are locked to a particular reader and/or because the ONLY ebook reader out there for

And where did ya get "suffer poor performance" from? All I mentioned was it took longer to strip the DRM on the NIT, well, duh, it's not a 2.2Ghz C2D. Once stripped it loads as any other book would. Didn't think it was that much of a stretch.

BTW, I do not care for Plucker at all. But my point was not about a debate over formats or reader software. Just wanted to pass along that there is now more flexibility.

The whole PRISONER SERIES...how cool!! I wish they would run that series on TV here in the US again. Watched it ages ago on PBS...loved it. Now the only place is to pop for the DVD's...and they ain't cheap.

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
Wow!! Thanks a bunch for this!

While LOVE Plucker, I haven't been able to buy any new DRMd books since switching to NIT from a Palm TX. On Palm I could buy new novels for several different formats - I used eReader and now I'm stuck because I've emailed them and they don't have plans of porting to Maemo. Trying to use eReader in Garnet VM stinks.

There's a new Stephen King novel I've been wanting... This means I can go buy it

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
Weeeelllll, such a goodie I found for you today:

google "pastebin mobidedrm.py", you will want both versions 0.01 & 0.02 as not all files work in both scripts. ...
Google "pastebin mobidedrm" instead. Seems to work better

The Following User Says Thank You to gammer For This Useful Post:
ahhh...darn...yeah you are right!! I had 'py' on the brain I guess...then again it is always a good time for 'py' right? I prefer walnut pecan py myself!

But really, thanks for the pointer...will change the post...

Originally Posted by PinCushionQueen View Post
I used eReader and now I'm stuck because I've emailed them and they don't have plans of porting to Maemo.
There is now an ereader2html python script from the same author as mobidedrm, see Darkreverser's Weblog. Note that, in the US, format shifting (e.g. from ereader to HTML) for personal use is protected as "fair use" under copyright law, but many legal commentators suggest that striping DRM in the process is not protected. On the other hand, if it is for personal use (a) who will know and (b) who is hurt?

The Following User Says Thank You to wallcraf For This Useful Post:
Thanks for that interesting bit of info, wallcraf.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
First, THANK YOU VERY MUCH! I've been SO frustrated with DRM'ed books that I can get from my library to read (for a limited time) on my computer (or a Palm, if I had one) but not on my Tablet (which, of course, is where I want to read them).

I'm new to this Python script thing, and I need help. I downloaded Python, made a Path to it (in Windows XP). I can open it running python from the DOS prompt (I just type the word "python" and it opens). I figured I should download the script and change the extension to save it as a .py file. For simplicity, I put the .py script file in the same folder as Python. I add that location to the command line and Python opens and then immediately disappears. (That is, at the DOS prompt, I enter: python c:\python25\mobidedrm.py)

What I haven't figured out, I think, is: How do you tell the script What File to act on? Or is there something else I've done wrong?

Any help? Thanks in advance!

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)