Having sold my 770 to buy the n800 and sold the n800 to fund the purchase of an HTC Touch (which oddly enough, I use as a phone and for email pretty much exclusively) I am currently small gadget-less (unless you count the EEE I bought the wife and never use).

I've actually been fairly happy w/o a little toy to tinker on, using my iPod(s) for music on the road and at the gym.

BUT...

I just bought a new car. No more built in GPS. AND, that new car came with a gift certificate to buy some of the add-on accessories they inflate the price on at the dealership. I had enough scratch to buy two Garmin Nuvi 200's which I will probably be re-selling instantly.

So I'll have a little cheddar to plunk down on a gadget.

The n810 seems like the obvious choice seeing that it has GPS and can become my "carputer".

I am just wondering, with all of the hype around MID's right now, is there something else just on the horizon I should be waiting for?

As stated before, I've always enjoyed the NIT's. I just don't want to grab something on the tail-end again (bought my 770 on a whim and almost instantly upgraded).

Obviously, asking this on the ITT forum will garner me some not so unbiased responses, but I think that may be just what I need .

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I think you will automatically be on the tail end of something no matter when you buy it, unless you are paying a big price premium to be ahead of the pack.

If you are willing to pay the premium, leave your money in a safe bank (don't invest in real estate) and wait for the next great thing to come along.

If you want a good deal, this is a pretty decent time to buy an N810.

If you're interested in waiting for the next big thing, the N900 (or whatever they call it) should be awesome, as should the Pandora. The N810W's actually not bad, if you wait a short while for it to become available, and if Xohm pricing (and coverage in your area) is good; it's the same as an N810 but with WiMAX radio added.

Right now/short term, there's some interesting UMPC stuff; the Aigo/Gigabyte one is out, and WiBrain's got some cool stuff coming up. Depends on what's better for your needs, of course. And Fujitsu's U820 is looking hot.

Still, it's hard to beat the N8x0 punch/price, and the N800 maps a little closer to what I want than most of the options I just listed. Dunno what you want though.

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sacramento, California
Also, the GPS in the n810 leaves so much to desire.

Just today, I sat on a harbor in Berkeley, California with no clouds and open skies above me. I started up Maemo Mapper on my N810, waited about five long freaking minutes before I got a lock. My Nuvi 200 would have locked in seconds but this is par for the course with the N810 just look at the forum here. Truthfully the second time it started up today it was only about 30 seconds before it locked. But, what I'm trying to say is DON'T think of the N810 as a GPS solution unless you have an external bluetooth GPS and have paid for Wayfinder.

My N8xxx GPS software ratings:
Wayfinder 6 of 10
Roadmap 5 of 10
Navit 3 of 10
Maemo Mapper 7 of 10

Keep in mind that the only program that can do door to door driving without an internet connection is Wayfinder. But it is expensive and sorely lacking compared to other navigation programs that I've used. Again, my thoughts is that the N810 is not a true stand-alone GPS replacement.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
If you're only going to use the device for GPS you're better of buying a dedicated GPS device like Garmin or TomTom. It'll be cheaper than a NIT. Also, the GPS in the N810 is not very usable. It takes long till it has a lock, and keeping the lock isn't easy either according to my experience. You might as well buy a N800 with a BlueTooth GPS (make sure it contains a good chipset like Sirf III). These go for between 10 and 30 EUR. The N800 is a bit cheaper than the N810, and each have their own + and -.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
(make sure it contains a good chipset like Sirf III)
SiRF III is crap. MTK is where it's at these days.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
SiRF III is crap. MTK is where it's at these days.

For 15 EUR, instant lock, and good signal I wouldn't call it crap. Especially not if the N810 build-in GPS is much, much worse. Its an example of a decent device, many people are happily using this chipset.

Maybe MTK is good as well, or you could specify why its better, how much it costs.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Maybe MTK is good as well, or you could specify why its better, how much it costs.
Faster, lighter, more agile. MTK is much, much lower power usage and somewhat better at getting and holding a lock. A high-quality MTK-based GPS like the i-Blue 737 goes for $50 here in the States.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
...The N800 is a bit cheaper than the N810, and each have their own + and -.
Where can you get a new N800 today?

bun

The Following User Says Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by maxinflixion View Post
...I just bought a new car.....
What did you buy? Any suggestion for a dumb box with wheels for teenagers? Any idea for Smart fortwo, http://www.smartusa.com/smart-car-fortwo.aspx. I like almost everything about the cabriolet, except evaluation said the ride is rough. That is something I do not enjoy. Any comments? Anybody? Why fortwo? Ask yourself, since when anybody ride with you? I have 1 passenger sitting in my car maybe once a year.

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-09-08 at 08:30.