Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Getting really bored today. Install carman just for fun, expect difficult installation, as I have not upgrade to the bleeding edge OS, dependency problem etc..........No, just click the install and bingo, here is up and running! Carman 0.7-beta1-8. GUI is very user friendly and intuitive, did not read ANY previous post, did not read any user manual, just use it striaght and it rocks! Each corner has an option menu, that makes almost 4 option menu, the left lower corner is a return button. Anyway, the GUI is very user intuitive and the tablet hardware buttons also works. Thanks carman.

OBD2 disconnected? What is the update story about the dealextreme OBDII elm327, http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16921 see thread here 11/8/8, http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=24510, any more update than this? Umm, thinking to get one for .... whatever, just feel like to play with carman. TIA,

N810/4.2008.23-14/MMC boot
bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-11-15 at 14:30.

I was stoked about carman when 0.7 came out, but I was a bit disappointed. I'm not a car geek, so I see it from the common user view. I'd love to see Carman use maemo mapper as a backend, or at least the same maps on my SD. I'd also love to see some type of Trip Analyzer®

-Shortest time to X
-Shortest distance to X
-Least fuel consumption to X
-Fewest stops, etc.

Add in some reminders (oil change, tires) and a Canola plugin. I also thought that the carman team should team up with Nokia and combine Carman + Nokia Maps to create some uber navigation software.

The Following User Says Thank You to doctorbri For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
What hardware is needed to be purchased to use this? Also I assume all new vehicles are "* OBD-II compatible car" ???

Hardware
* Nokia Internet Tablet 770, N800 or N810
* OBD-II compatible car
* OBD-II Scan Tool with Bluetooth support

How much does it cost for the hardware with bt support? I think I am ready to do some playing.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
What hardware is needed to be purchased to use this? Also I assume all new vehicles are "* OBD-II compatible car" ???

Hardware
* Nokia Internet Tablet 770, N800 or N810
* OBD-II compatible car
* OBD-II Scan Tool with Bluetooth support

How much does it cost for the hardware with bt support? I think I am ready to do some playing.
The one from deal extreme is the only one I heard of, and even with that one, not quite sure whether it will work either, http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16921, a $57 + 3 weeks waiting gamble.

Or this one, http://www.obdspy.com/Products/BT/bt_327_en.html, for 89 Euro

bun

• All vehicles 1996 and newer are OBDII.
  • The bluetooth scanners cost anywhere from $60 - $160. (see the above threads for the cheapest one)
  • Nearly all scanners (and every BT scanner I found) are elm327 1.2. Apparently the new v1.3 is substantially faster.

The Following User Says Thank You to doctorbri For This Useful Post:
Posts: 275 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Raleigh, NC
Need to know what the data rate is. Cheaper ones tend to offer just 1hz which is nearly worthless.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Very user friendly indeed. Previous versions were less user friendly, but allowed to read more raw statistics/details. This can still be done at least with console utilities, I don't know how to do this with Carman 0.7.

Carman comes with a simulate option. This way, you can try it out without buying the hardware.

Some nice integrations with map software and statistics like refuelling would be very neat -- I agree.

ELM327 BlueTooth 30 GBP was a pretty good deal (for a 1.2v). Bought via eBay UK.

BTW, in the normal interface with the meters you can see different meters by clicking in the middle left or middle right (almost like a gesture like when browsing in Fennec).

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
@allnameswereout: I am very sure you are familiar with this, I just list it here for my own review:

Turn on BlueTooth: make sure settings are Bluetooth on checked, Visible checked.

Install carman 0.7~BETA1-8 or whatever the latest carman on your OS,

Start Carman, on carman/setting, uncheck Simulator mode

Open Carman, click Left Upper corner, now click OBD2, on CONFIGURE OBD2, what do you see?

TIA,

bun

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Cannot test right now.

When I did this before with an earlier 0.7 beta I couldn't see anything at "Configure OBD2".

BTW, I have BlueTooth on, but invisible. I can connect to OBD2 when nearby car; even when car is off. When car is off I get disconnected in a few seconds again. When car is on, all works, but there is still nothing at "Configure OBD2".

When I click "Check" on bottom while OBD2 is connected there is also no information available, it says.

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Cannot test right now.

When I did this before with an earlier 0.7 beta I couldn't see anything at "Configure OBD2".

BTW, I have BlueTooth on, but invisible. I can connect to OBD2 when nearby car; even when car is off. When car is off I get disconnected in a few seconds again. When car is on, all works, but there is still nothing at "Configure OBD2".

When I click "Check" on bottom while OBD2 is connected there is also no information available, it says.
I am afraid your OBD2 is NOT connected. When open BT device, did you see your OBD2? Even it is on your list of "trusted device" still NOT guarantee they are connected. Select BT visible sometimes is easier in connection.

bun