Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Is anybody else tired of the never ending "I'm so self-centered I think everybody needs to know which device I've decided to use, and exactly why Nokia's tablets suck" threads? I am, and I'd like to see them gathered into a single thread we can just ignore instead of dozens of threads.

So, can we get a stickied "Yes, I think people care what I spend my money on" thread much like the N810 review thread and end the nonsense?

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 114 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Somewhere, most of the time.
I second the motion.

You can effectively shorten this title to "I am bitter now".

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
i wonder, is there a central forum for competing products where people pop in and talk about why they got their N8*0 rather then product x?

or is this a ITT fenomena?

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
I don't have a problem with threads in the "Competitors" section giving actual user experiences on device X, compared with an N8x0.

But not all the threads are that well formed...

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 259 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Halifax, NS
Originally Posted by tso View Post
i wonder, is there a central forum for competing products where people pop in and talk about why they got their N8*0 rather then product x?

or is this a ITT fenomena?
Nothing else has the untapped potential as the n8x0.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I'd be very interested to know why this happens so often here on ITt. Is it entirely unique, or can you find it on Zaurus forums, or iPhone (spit!) forums?

Perhaps there's an historical precedent to be found in previous platforms that developed fanatical hobbiest communities around them, such as the Amiga?

What about Mac forums? This has gotta happen there a lot.

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I'd be very interested to know why this happens so often here on ITt. Is it entirely unique, or can you find it on Zaurus forums, or iPhone (spit!) forums?
we don't get it so much on the zaurus forums, partly because they're a lot quiter these days, and in its heyday there really weren't (m)any serious alternative(s). the Z officially ceased manufacture early 2007, but Sharp carried making small batches till beginning of this year, so now there's virtually no new stock. Thus not many people can actually say I bought something else instead of a Z.

we do get people who leave and get an eee, sometimes a MID, sometimes a Nokia tablet, but many hang on to their Zs and use them for other purposes (me, for example). I think if the 810 had a better keyboard, we'd have had more defectors.

Originally Posted by qole View Post

Perhaps there's an historical precedent to be found in previous platforms that developed fanatical hobbiest communities around them, such as the Amiga?

What about Mac forums? This has gotta happen there a lot.
Although I haven't been a regular member of a whole lot of forums, I've been a regular on a couple mobile-technology related places, most notably 1src and Brighthand, and I would have to say this is extremely abnormal.

I can't remember a single instance, not one, where a non-regular member has posted about buying an alternate device.

It just doesn't make sense. What would posses a person to join a forum and post, most likely a single topic, of why they didn't buy the technology/device that that forum is dedicated to?

Strange...

Author of TouchSearch -- web searching software for Maemo 5.

Mobile Device lineage: Palm Z22 -> Palm TX -> Nokia N800 -> Nokia N900

Last edited by BrentDC; 2008-11-16 at 00:03.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
I don't have a problem with threads in the "Competitors" section giving actual user experiences on device X, compared with an N8x0.

But not all the threads are that well formed...
Formatting can be increased with active moderating and guidelines.

I think it is a good thing people are able to compare with competitors, but we need to keep the signal to noise ratio high with the flames low. The way GA describes the example in his post is pretty flameish; however not all posts of this type are flames.

Double threads are a no-no, so its better to centralize them. So there could be 1 thread for people who bought an iPhone instead of a NIT, not 3 or , 5 or 10. (But 2, at some point, because the older one is old or full, makes sense.)