Notices

See the bottom of this post for the newest release (.12)

============================================

Today I would like to announce a beta-release of a statusbar plugin I've been working on: Quick Clip. Quick Clip allows you to select text in any application, and "clip" that text into a predefined file for later reference.

The main goal of Quick Clip is to create an easy interface to do something that usually isn't very easy: take text from any application and store it on a local file for later access. Usually this would involve opening some sort of text-editor, copying the text you want to save into it, and saving this data off into a file. You would then have to save this file with some arbitrary name into, what for many users was, a soon-to-be forgotten place.

But not any more.

Quick Clip automates this whole process requiring only two clicks to clip a piece of text instead of 20 clicks like before.

Since Quick Clip is just a beta application, it has not been uploaded to Maemo Extras (yet), so you will have to satisfy its dependency's manually. It depends on:

python2.5
python2.5-hildon
python2.5-gtk2
python2.5-hildondesktop
hildon-desktop-python-loader

If you have the Maemo Extras Repository enabled, this will install these dependency's:

Run in the Terminal, as root:

Code:
apt-get install python2.5 python2.5-hildon python2.5-gtk2 python2.5-hildondesktop hildon-desktop-python-loader

Now you can install Quick Clip like any other application; just download the .deb file, available here.

Changes:
.12 beta

- Added Use Seperator and Use Date Stamp option
- Added History
- Added Conformation popups

===========================

.11 beta

- Added Entry >> File option
- Added Backup integration

===========================

.01 beta

Initial Release.

Last edited by BrentDC; 2009-02-20 at 03:06.

The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to BrentDC For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Nice.

-T.

I forgot to add the screenshots to my post. Here they are:

The Following User Says Thank You to BrentDC For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
BrentDC, that's a very helpful program, really fills a need for me. Thanks!

To do the dependency installs, I had to put a "2" at the end of "python2.5-gtk" so that it was "python2.5-gtk2". I largely don't know what I'm doing, but XTerm gave me an error about not finding it, and in the Gronmayer.com repositories, when I searched for "python2.5-gtk" it showed repositories with "python2.5-gtk2" instead. So you might want to edit that one line of code in the first post (assuming that what I did was correct; so far so good).

Again, thanks, great app, with a clean, quick, effective interface.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Thanks GeraldKo for spotting that; yes, "python2.5-gtk2" is a dependency of Quick Clip. I updated the first post to reflect this.

I'm so glad you like the program, too!

The Following User Says Thank You to BrentDC For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
My QuickClip files are opening in MicroB, even though they are .txt files. When I open .txt files from FileManager, they open in the Notes app, which I prefer (since it has word-wrap). Why would the QuickClip text files open in the browser, or, better yet, how would I get them to open in Notes or in a text editor? (I can use emelFM2 to open my QuickClip files in a text editor, but I mean from within the statusbar plugin itself.)

Tangentially related ... Selecting text can be a nuisance on an N800. You know how, with a hardware keyboard, you can click in one place and then, holding the Shift Key and clicking in another place, get all the text in-between highlighted? Has anybody found a way to do anything like that with the N800 OSK (on-screen keyboard)?

Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
My QuickClip files are opening in MicroB, even though they are .txt files.....
[snip]
Why would the QuickClip text files open in the browser, or, better yet, how would I get them to open in Notes or in a text editor?....
Just select "edit" from the QuickClip menu, rather than "view". The file will open in Notes so you can edit it, but you don't have to. You can just view it and close it, unchanged.

BrentDC, many thanks for this. I've been hoping for a utility like this.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Tangentially related ... Selecting text can be a nuisance on an N800. You know how, with a hardware keyboard, you can click in one place and then, holding the Shift Key and clicking in another place, get all the text in-between highlighted? Has anybody found a way to do anything like that with the N800 OSK (on-screen keyboard)?
closest i have come is with webkit-eal, that has a option to use the menu button as a shift key for just that kind of use...

Posts: 41 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Nurnberg
My QuickClip files are opening in MicroB, even though they are .txt files. When I open .txt files from FileManager, they open in the Notes app, which I prefer (since it has word-wrap). Why would the QuickClip text files open in the browser, or, better yet, how would I get them to open in Notes or in a text editor? (I can use emelFM2 to open my QuickClip files in a text editor, but I mean from within the statusbar plugin itself.)
Originally Posted by BrentDC View Post
If you have any additional questions on how to setup or use Quick Clip, please see the builtin documentation.

just double klick at first word and carefuly drag selection.

You can configure which applications are responsible for opening your files through Options->Settings (see the help for an example of a valid command).

The reason I chose the web-browser for "View" is because when opening them there, they are uneditable, so the OSK will not come up when not needed. If you have the webkit-backend installed for tablet-browser-ui, it supports word wrap, has one-click font size adjustments, and kinetic scrolling. This is really sweet for viewing files, so I thought that for the people that do have webkit installed, this would bee a good default setting.

If you want to bring up Nokia Notes, "Edit" will do what you want.

I do not believe the N800 supports "multitouch" so I think this isn't possible. I've found highlighting text, especially in the web browser, to be more of an "art form" i.e. it takes a lot of practice to be able to do it easlily.

Edit: Wow, I type slow...

Last edited by BrentDC; 2009-02-03 at 19:44.

Tags
announcement, python, quick clip, statusbar