I can no longer boot from MMC2. The Nokia splash logo appears with "Booting from mmc2... " at the top, but the system just hangs. Any thoughts?
Thanks.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
You could try re-installing just the boot menu with Penguinbait's PB or PBEASY command. See the try-here-first link in my dual-boot links below.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
Originally Posted by jhford View Post
I can no longer boot from MMC2. The Nokia splash logo appears with "Booting from mmc2... " at the top, but the system just hangs. Any thoughts?
Thanks.
The SD maybe corrupts. That's is why we should backup or clone the SD once a while.

Here is a script I use for various tasks. It is a collection of many howtos here. (IMPORTANT: to clone mmc1 to mcc2 and vice versa you need to partition and format the SD before running the script otherwise the /opt will not be mounted and as a result you will run out of space! Do not use the script if you don't understand it!)

It has to run under root.

To clone SDs ( mmc2 to mmc1 or vice versa) you should run the script from flash.
Attached Files
File Type: txt cpxx.txt (1.9 KB, 161 views)

Last edited by nhanquy; 2009-05-19 at 17:56.

The Following User Says Thank You to nhanquy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nhanquy View Post
The SD maybe corrupts. That's is why we should backup or clone the SD once a while.

Here is a script I use for various tasks. It is a collection of many howtos here.

It has to run under root.

To clone SDs ( mmc2 to mmc1 or vice versa) you should run the script from flash.
If the SSD is corrupt, is the N810 dead?

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by jhford View Post
If the SSD is corrupt, is the N810 dead?
Not SSD (Solid-State Drive), SD (Secure Digital). nhanquy was suggesting your flash memory card may be corrupted. The tablets do not contain solid-state drives.

Last edited by sjgadsby; 2009-05-13 at 20:25.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Is it ext2?

if so

boot to flash, run as root from xterm

fsck -y /dev/mmcblk0p2 or (1p2) depending setup

See if that fixes it?
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
Is it ext2?

if so

boot to flash, run as root from xterm

fsck -y /dev/mmcblk0p2 or (1p2) depending setup

See if that fixes it?
PB: That command has no impact if the SD card is ext3?

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
PB: That command has no impact if the SD card is ext3?
fsck is actually universal. It in turn will call fsck.ext2, or fsck.ext3 ....
Therefore, it is transparent to us, users.
So the command is still valid to ext3.

The Following User Says Thank You to nhanquy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Well I asked if it was ext2? Geraldko?? Read the first sentence of the quote, you quoted?

And yes it will still fsck a ext3 volume, but it is un-needed as ext3 will use the journal and straighten itself out on boot.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
You could try re-installing just the boot menu with Penguinbait's PB or PBEASY command. See the try-here-first link in my dual-boot links below.
That worked perfectly. Thanks a lot.

The Following User Says Thank You to jhford For This Useful Post: