Posts: 4 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Honolulu, Hawaii
Greetings,

I was one of the first to get a 770 so many years ago and in about 2 weeks I'm going on my first trip outside of the country. I'd like suggestions on a particular OS and applications that I should have to most effectively get around in Europe.

I'm going from Oahu, Hawaii to Los Angeles for a few days then to London for a while, then probably take the Chunnel into France and stay there for a while and move on to explore other areas of Europe and possibly Asia via rail. I haven't decided all the details, as I want it to be somewhat spontaneous, depending on what works best.

I wish to have a small, responsive 770 that I can use to find information about transit, Vegan food places, farmer's markets, hostels, fun stuff to do, and all of the above at the most affordable prices.

I'd like a good browser that can handle the kind of content I'm likely to encounter and stable VOIP software for my Skype account since T-Mobile calls would be very expensive there. I have a Gizmo account as well, if there is no decent Skype functionality.

Any comments / suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited by islevegan; 2009-06-10 at 20:23.

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ san jose, california
although this is geared for the N810, it might offer some relevant uses for your 770:

http://technotraveler.com/2008/10/22...travel-device/

hope you have a good trip!

some afterthoughts: extra battery(s)? European power adaptors? GSM phone (with bluetooth) for local SIM purchase to use as a modem for your 770 when there's no WiFi?

Last edited by m_sparks; 2009-06-10 at 22:21. Reason: added afterthoughts...

The Following User Says Thank You to m_sparks For This Useful Post:
Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
Originally Posted by m_sparks View Post
European power adaptors?
You just need an outlet adapter, it works on European power just fine.

Deuteronomy 13:6-10; 2 Kings 2:23-24; Judges 19:22-29

The Following User Says Thank You to mullf For This Useful Post:
does navicore work on the 770? if so, i highly recommend it, i went on a trip around europe for a month in February and it was great cos i always had a map with points of interest. Its good that the maps are free too

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by mullf View Post
You just need an outlet adapter, it works on European power just fine.
Actually two: one for the UK and one for the rest of Europe (the same should work everywhere else as long as it is two pronged, i.e. without earth)

Posts: 41 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Wien , Austria
As m_sparks mentioned, a free GSM cellphone can be very handy.

http://prepaid-wireless-internet-access.wetpaint.com/ is a nice starting point to look for prepaid deals before starting your trip. Starter kits including SIM card and a certain amount of MB can be bought in phones shops, books shops.

Prepaid/PAYG data SIM cards are pretty cheap now (except in France ( ), and an average deal is about 25$ for 1 GB

And do not forget to install Maemo-Mapper and preload maps of the areas you planed to visit.

You may want to get a boingo mobile account. They offer a 30-day free trial and at least in the UK have hotspots everywhere (look for "BT Openzone" ones). They also cover pretty much every airport I've gone through in the last couple of years or so

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Honolulu, Hawaii
Thanks folks, for the friendly suggestions - I'm going to look into the details over the coming few days.

I'm getting the power thing resolved but wondering what the best option would be for VOIP and web browsing. Seems that Skype never came to the 770 in a useful form but this OpenSky(pe) thing from Gizmo may work.

Hopefully there are some good wifi options around there...I've spent so much already on flight and train travel!

I guess I'll do what I have to do. :-)

Mahalo to the Maemo community!

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by islevegan View Post
...Seems that Skype never came to the 770 in a useful form...
I was on Skype/770/2007He in Xmas08 in Asia. It works fine.

bun

I think I have a problem with buying skype credit. The website stays in Russian even when I change it to English and it's asking for a sms code when I try to purchase credit for the n810. The whole purchase experience doesn't inspire confidence. I was hoping just to go to my local walmart and buy a voucher code, but I'm reading that walmart has had code problems not activating. Where is everyone buying skype credit for their nokia?

sorry to hijack the thread for a moment

The Following User Says Thank You to callanish For This Useful Post: