Posts: 932 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kentucky
Saw this on ebay and would like to spread the word. I highly recommend a second battery for this device.

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
happy exploding...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
the title contains a typo: 1750 mAh *

and we've seen even higher capacity batteries on Ebay, the only problem is they're sent/imported from China, which makes these batteries unreliable (unofficial), warranty voiding in case of damage, and the numbers are no guarantee of their real capacity.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thecursedfly For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
happy exploding...
Likely to explode my device? Why is that?

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
How does your highly recommending another battery reconcile with your ignorance of lithium battery reliability issues?

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Aren't all lithium battery likable (including the one that comes with the phone) to explode?

If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is...

Posts: 219 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by x61 View Post
Aren't all lithium battery likable (including the one that comes with the phone) to explode?
iPhone material is not a standard in this society.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
yes, but not all batteries lack safe circuits (the third pin @ the battery). It is the perfect part to remove when trying to lower manufacturing costs.

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
An easy way to cram more capacity into a battery is to use less material (==thinner barriers) in the casing and membranes. I'm not saying that the battery you recommend has more capacity than the included battery (probably doesn't, actually), but there's no telling how reliable and durable the cell is.

Yes, design and construction quality do play roles in battery safety.

That said, i bought a replacement battery for my dumbphone off Amazon for $10 a year ago and it has worked fine so far, but it was not advertised as having 40% higher capacity. It also had a lot of favorable reviews. If i was going to buy a chintzy second battery for the N900, i would buy the one with the lowest rated capacity. I'd trust it a lot more. I'd also probably avoid Ebay completely.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Last edited by Flandry; 2009-10-20 at 14:09.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post: