Hello, I'm very ignorant on this subject:
My question is two fold.

Does the n900 internally control the way the battery is charged, and when to stop charging it? or is this controlled by the transformer provided by Nokia?

The reason I'm asking this has to do with wanting to purchase a non Nokia car charger, and just want to make sure that the N900 would be charged the same way.
If I'm not mistaken with Li-ion charging the battery goes through stages of charging, which are all controlled by the "charger". just not sure if this is done by the Transformer or the N900

Also,

I noticed that the nokia wall charger has an output of 5.0V and 1200mA.
I have a generic USB modular wall charger(transformer that plugs in the wall and I can attach a USB cable to it.)
Its output is 5.0V and 500mA +- 50mA.
If I used the included usb cable with this charger, would this negatively affect the charging, battery or device? (other than longer charge time)

Any answers or useful links are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Most battery powered electronics today have an onboard charge controller. Most chargers (what you call transformer) are "dumb". they continuously send power to the device.

As far as your next question...? I don't know how less amperage will affect the charging controller. I do know that most electronics are good for about 10%+- tolerances when it comes to beng powered.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to That One Guy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
Most battery powered electronics today have an onboard charge controller.

As far as your next question...? I don't know how less amperage will affect the charging controller. I do know that most electronics are good for about 10%+- tolerances when it comes to beng powered.
well in that case, how much power does it receive when plugged into a usb port in a computer?

I had not considered PC USB ports. I know the device will charge off a PC's USB port, so you might be good to go with that charger.

Typical PC USB ports will provide 5V up to 500ma.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to That One Guy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dantonic View Post
1. Does the n900 internally control the way the battery is charged, and when to stop charging it?
2. I noticed that the nokia wall charger has an output of 5.0V and 1200mA. I have a generic USB modular wall charger. Its output is 5.0V and 500mA. If I used the included usb cable with this charger, would this negatively affect the charging, battery or device?
1. Yes.
2. USB in general can only provide that 500 mA. Only specific USB chargers provide more. As such, I am sure there won't be any problems with it. Other than taking longer to charge.

There is also an adapter included in the box that can convert any old Nokia (normal or car) charger into USB suitable for N900.

Disclaimer: I am not in any way affiliated with Nokia and hold no responsibility whatsoever... If you want to be sure, contact Nokia support about it.

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
IIRC, USB provides up to 500 mA without negotiation for more current. I suspect the chargers that fail to work with the N900 are the ones that can't handle the up-negotiation. Only providing 500 mA will probably not do a very good job of recharging, but that's just a guess.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
Its output is 5.0V and 500mA +- 50mA.
If I used the included usb cable with this charger, would this negatively affect the charging, battery or device? (other than longer charge time)
no, as far as the voltage-values are the same, there shouldnt be any problem.

Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
1. Yes.
2. USB in general can only provide that 500 mA. Only specific USB chargers provide more. As such, I am sure there won't be any problems with it. Other than taking longer to charge.

There is also an adapter included in the box that can convert any old Nokia (normal or car) charger into USB suitable for N900.

Disclaimer: I am not in any way affiliated with Nokia and hold no responsibility whatsoever... If you want to be sure, contact Nokia support about it.
I didn't get an adapter in my box. Did everyone else get an adapter? Am I the only one?

I'm in California btw

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
I didn't get an adapter in my box. Did everyone else get an adapter? Am I the only one?

I'm in California btw
just ordered 3 adapters from dealextreme.

"CA-146C"

claimed to be genuine but I'm not buying it. will measure output voltage before really charging with them.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK

I'm in California btw
From posts elsewhere, it looks like the adapter wasn't included in the US retail box. No idea why though.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post: