Nokia sells the N900 as a phone. you can see here:
http://www.nokia.co.uk/find-products...nes/nokia-n900

This should be considered illegal advertising. At most, it should be sold as an Internet thingy with an incomplete GSM phone stack.

There is no way to access the SIM card menu. People have tried to file bugs, but this has turned into another, almost useless, rapidly forgotten, brainstorm. Just like most of the brainstorms.

I'm sure I must be doing something wrong here. A lot of people must be doing it wrong, too. Isn't Maemo.org the place to file N900 bugs and try to solve issues and improve things?

How on earth having no SIM card menu access is not a bug for something that is sold as a phone?

Having no way to access the SIM card menu feature removes this device from the GSM category. Where are Nokia representatives?

Why can't we get a solution?

This is not one more person whining about not being able to organize contacts into groups, defining limits for email downloads, create profiles and other features that are common on most other smartphones. This is a major problem that affects everything for a lot of people. I don't know any gsm phone that is sold without the capability of accessing the SIM card. Not even Nokia entry level devices.

Please, can someone with access to Nokia representatives wake up?

Thanks for your attention. I am as much sorry for the aggressiveness of this post as I am for every poor soul who can't access credits, services and other operator related functions that are buried in the SIM card.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to soeiro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 180 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Miami
illegal advertising? bro i think your taking it a little too serious. A phone is something that makes and receives calls. N900 does that. And yea it doesnt have even the basic phone features, but those features are not in the definition of the word "phone", so they are doing nothing wrong. It is a phone. They are not saying its a GOOD phone, but it is a phone. period.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to waleed786 For This Useful Post:
for me this is enough...

Originally Posted by soeiro View Post
Nokia sells the N900 as a phone. you can see here:
http://www.nokia.co.uk/find-products...nes/nokia-n900

This should be considered illegal advertising. At most, it should be sold as an Internet thingy with an incomplete GSM phone stack.
So every hard line phone that is sold in every store in the world should all be sued because they are sold as "phones" without even a SIM card to access a SIM menu?
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 233 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
It's sold as a phone, because you can call people over GSM with it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jaysire For This Useful Post:
You fail to realize that I'm referring to it being sold as a GSM-compatible phone.

It is just like buying a computer that you can't install an operating system. it is sure a computer, because it can compute (if you can program it in machine language). But you can't use it to do any other thing that "computers" are expected to be used for. Word processing, for example.

The Following User Says Thank You to soeiro For This Useful Post:
So Iphone is first...

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Hey, if you want to be taken seriously about anything, don't go around saying stupid stuff like Nokia should be sued for illegal advertising. Don't get mad at Nokia because you didn't do any research before you bought a $600 product.

I had no idea people still stored anything on SIM cards anymore.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 180 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Miami
Originally Posted by soeiro View Post
You fail to realize that I'm referring to it being sold as a GSM-compatible phone.

It is just like buying a computer that you can't install an operating system. it is sure a computer, because it can compute (if you can program it in machine language). But you can't use it to do any other thing that "computers" are expected to be used for. Word processing, for example.
Exactly. Its your expectations that are misguiding you. You expect the N900 to have these features, but it doesnt, and thats why your angry. Yes Nokia should have put them in, but they arent breaking any rules by selling it as a phone.

And you should NEVER buy something this expensive based on the sellers description. They want you to buy it, s obviously they wont name the negative points. Thats why we have reviewers. If people had read the reviews theyre expectations wouldnt have been off by so much.

Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Hey, if you want to be taken seriously about anything, don't go around saying stupid stuff like Nokia should be sued for illegal advertising. Don't get mad at Nokia because you didn't do any research before you bought a $600 product.
I had no idea people still stored anything on SIM cards anymore.
I did my research and nowhere it was clear that SIM Card menus were not supported. All the telecom operators where I live place many things on that SIM card menu. Sure, i can still talk on the phone, but without GSM SIM card support is not fully GSM compatible. Or at least, not following a de facto GSM standard.

The Following User Says Thank You to soeiro For This Useful Post:

Tags
fixed in meego 13, it's not a phone, semantic wars, wait-- it's a phone???