Posts: 5,339 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Israel

I would go for it. Seems right.
Output: 5V / 500~700mA
Should work, and should not break anything as long the car adapter is working right.

But, there can be one problem. I've read, if there is no real USB connection, N900 wants to have USB data pins shortcircuited.

Someone may confirm/deny?

Last edited by zimon; 2010-03-26 at 13:13.

The Following User Says Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:
Yes. I have the exact same cigarette lighter adapter. Does not work for charging the N900 due to pin and power negotiation - I took it apart, soldered the D+ D- pins together and it works fine.

I can take a picture of which joints need to be jumped if you'd like, it's very easy and straight forward. The adapter cost me about $3.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawaii For This Useful Post:
Posts: 75 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Toulouse
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
But, there can be one problem. I've read, if there is no real USB connection, N900 wants to have USB data pins shortcircuited.

Someone may confirm/deny?
I can confirm this problem when using the Mobile Booster KBC-L2S from Sanyo. There are others having similar problems, which can be solved "hacking" your usb cables (see this thread) or by buying this cable. However, if the problem (and solution to it) also affects the mentioned car charger is not know to me.

The Following User Says Thank You to dominik For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by hawaii View Post
Yes. I have the exact same cigarette lighter adapter. Does not work for charging the N900 due to pin and power negotiation - I took it apart, soldered the D+ D- pins together and it works fine.

I can take a picture of which joints need to be jumped if you'd like, it's very easy and straight forward. The adapter cost me about $3.

Yes please...

If the problem with this adapter (not with cable), maybe a simply I can buy other one, like this: Universal USB Car Charger Adapter for Cell Phone MP3

(I want this cable because of angle and length 6 feet)

Last edited by Schturman; 2010-03-26 at 17:55.

I got also interested, so I asked here if there would be a software fix.
On that link you'll find also adapter (for iPhone), which probably would make the above system work.

Originally Posted by Schturman View Post
Yes please...

If the problem with this adapter (not with cable), maybe a simply I can buy other one, like this: Universal USB Car Charger Adapter for Cell Phone MP3

(I want this cable because of angle and length 6 feet)
Yes, it is the adapter, but I would recommend scouring the other thread that discusses which adapters and cables will absolutely work.

Taking apart the adapter is as simple as removing the 2 cap screws and separating the plastic housing. Do you plan on soldering it? I'd just like to know, before I go out to my Jeep and remove it and take it all apart - if you just plan on purchasing one that will work properly.

The Following User Says Thank You to hawaii For This Useful Post:
Yes, it is the adapter, but I would recommend scouring the other thread that discusses which adapters and cables will absolutely work.

Taking apart the adapter is as simple as removing the 2 cap screws and separating the plastic housing. Do you plan on soldering it? I'd just like to know, before I go out to my Jeep and remove it and take it all apart - if you just plan on purchasing one that will work properly.
Thanks
I only plan to purchasing, not soldering, don't remove from you Jeep
Thanks

P.S. what the other thread ? this ?

Last edited by Schturman; 2010-03-26 at 20:18.

You can also use glue to short-circuit D- and D+ pins.

The Following User Says Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:

Thanks so much for the helpful solution!

I had a very similar usb charger that was for my gameboy advanced. I cracked it open, used http://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml to determine D+ and D-, quick trip to walmart to buy a 5 dollar soldering iron, and a quick youtube video for "how to solder" and BAM! My first soldering job and i have a new usb charger for my n900! Tested in my car and it totally works! yay!

The Following User Says Thank You to lfcobra For This Useful Post: