Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
why does installing more applications 'slow' down a handheld device, more specifically an n900? i put down in ' marks because i dont know how else to describe it other than 'slower than before'... and no, i dont have all of the running in the background :P

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Check your assumptions.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
Check your assumptions.
Thanks for responding, but this isn't exactly helpful...

If they're not running, they don't take cpu time so they don't slow anything down (unless you mean some widgets (or things sleeping on some other bus which is unlikely (or you can prove something actually slows down)))

you can check with 'top' in the terminal what's the most cpu-hungry process.

Originally Posted by viraptor View Post
If they're not running, they don't take cpu time so they don't slow anything down (unless you mean some widgets (or things sleeping on some other bus which is unlikely (or you can prove something actually slows down)))

you can check with 'top' in the terminal what's the most cpu-hungry process.
Not widgets...
IVe checked top occasionally. I'm not talking about a total meltdown in the phones responsiveness... but a slight lag that was always there until i uninstalled some applications...

There has been a noticeable increase in responsiveness after uninstalling a few applications I've never used...

do you have any extra devel apps? if so it's already been said many times that it's not recommended due to instability

Originally Posted by SAABoy View Post
There has been a noticeable increase in responsiveness after uninstalling a few applications I've never used...
Well - there's one thing you can do. If you can reliably repeat the test (stuff is slower after installing and speeds up after uninstalling a *single specific package*) just report a bug to the creator of that software. Describing what exactly slows down and how to reproduce it of course.
'Stuff is slower' and 'some applications' are not good enough for a bug report.

Originally Posted by vietn900 View Post
do you have any extra devel apps? if so it's already been said many times that it's not recommended due to instability
I haven't yet installed anything other than extras... no devel or testing.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Rootfs space decreasing?

Originally Posted by viraptor View Post
Well - there's one thing you can do. If you can reliably repeat the test (stuff is slower after installing and speeds up after uninstalling a *single specific package*) just report a bug to the creator of that software. Describing what exactly slows down and how to reproduce it of course.
'Stuff is slower' and 'some applications' are not good enough for a bug report.
Ehhh, I wish it was a specific application that made a big impact, but it wasn't. You sure there's no possible way more installed apps means slower phone? I know, it doesn't make sense, they are just taking up space in the flash memory, and not hogging up the cpu... but there must be a hidden story...