Active Topics

Posts: 247 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Los Angeles
I don't understand how App Manger works when you enable all three "main" ( Extras/Extras-Testing/Extras-Dev) repositories. I presume that a "Mature" app would have a candidate version in each repository.

I enabled all three yesterday to add Stellarium, which is only in Dev. I noticed that only a very few application had multiple listings. Had I seen NO multiple listings I'd have assumed the default would be the "highest version number" which would be Extras-Dev? If I saw many multiples, I'd have thought one from each repository was offered in some standard order.

As it is, I don't know what the behavior is. I'd PREFER to D/L the most mature (Extras, if not avail then Testing, if not avail then Dev) but I don't see how to do that....

Am I expecting too much?

It goes by highest version. However versioning allows more than just numerical values, for example some people append osso to the version, this simply confusing it and if the numerical versions are the same it will list two versions. Additionally while the GUI will display a "pretty" name, that isn't necessarily the actual package name, which is what matters.

Last edited by linuxeventually; 2010-08-11 at 04:04.

If you want a more technical solution... you can actually do apt pinning to ensure that Extras gets highest priority, then testing, then dev.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Oh and you could manually visit http://repository.maemo.org/extras/pool/fremantle/free/ and download the package and install via dpkg -i or use http://maemo.org/packages/view/mirror/ and choose the package from which repo you want and use dpkg to install it. Note: dpkg won't pull in any dependencies that it may need.

Embrace CLI.

P.S. You can lock a package to a specific version if so wish.

Do what fatalsaint said. I wasn't aware that debian-based package managers supported such a thing. I thought portage was the only one that had that "trick". Learn something new everyday.

Last edited by linuxeventually; 2010-08-11 at 04:00.

Someone did the apt-pinning trick already it seems:

http://yoush.homelinux.org:8079/tech...rences-on-n900

I recognize the name.. but can't place their maemo.org nick.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post: