Notices

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
I would like a program to record videos with the main camera (preferably at least as good as the default one), but with zoom functionality that instead of blowing up zoomed out pixels, zooms in into the sensor pixels, cropping out pixels outside and keeping the pixel size of the image constant (the sensor has 5MP resolution, if you're recording a 800x480 video you can either discard every Nth pixel and get a full frame, or get the full resolution rectangle measuring 800x480 pixels that is in the center of the sensor discarding the surrounding pixels, or a mix of the two approaches for intermediary zoom)

It really annoys me when i see on TV amateur video where people use digital zoom (blowing up the size of the pixels, lowering the effective resolution) trying to get a better image and ending up only making things worse.

brainstorm

Last edited by TiagoTiago; 2010-10-06 at 22:16.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
not possible sorry. Camera app is closed source.

Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
not possible sorry. Camera app is closed source.
search for "Fcam"

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Originally Posted by TiagoTiago View Post
search for "Fcam"
Right on the spot! Search for Fcam..VIDEO.

No such video support has been added yet. API may be there but not enough.

If i expected there to be a program that did this already done and avaiable on the N900, i would have worded the original post differently

Make change to your request title.
Change it to "Fcam App- Video Recording with sensor pixel based zoom"

Why restrict it to Fcam? Someone might make another way to use the camera hardware

Originally Posted by TiagoTiago View Post
Why restrict it to Fcam? Someone might make another way to use the camera hardware
fcam is the API, not the application.
(Someone already said Search for fcam....for example with Google.)
http://fcam.garage.maemo.org/

What i meant it, why change the thread title to restrict the request to just programs using the Fcam API? Someone might create another API or find another approach (API related or otherwise) to use the camera hardware.

It was a response to max's post telling me to change the thread title.

Ok. Well the real API for the N900 Camera is (I guess) closed source, so only practical way to develop such an app is using fcam API.
See http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=38671