Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 364 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Australia
Is this D-Bus n900-fmrx-enabler 1.5-1 used for FM radio? or is it still bluetooth chip?

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Originally Posted by vivmak View Post
Is this D-Bus n900-fmrx-enabler 1.5-1 used for FM radio? or is it still bluetooth chip?
Its for the same thing. Before the update, I think the only way to get the FM Radio to work was to use The FMRadio program. This update (PR1.3) & program allows for programmers to integrate the receiver into their own programs. So, hopefully we'll have an FM Radio plugin for Mediabox, KMPlayer etc...

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Yes, it's still the same fmrx-enabler that was used on the N900 for FM radio from the beginning on. The difference is that Nokia is now using this package, too, so put it into their offical update repository.
Nokia probably built it from an unstable SVN version, though.

Besides an e-mail asking me as its author if it's OK to use it, I heard nothing of Nokia regarding this. No reply, nothing.
And apparently they didn't test the package much either.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
I'm hoping to get a digital tuner version of FM Radio at the moment. It's kind of terrible to scrolling for channels and very inaccurate to get the best frequency. I really hope the author of the FM Radio implimenting a digital option from the menu in the future.

Analog scrolling is good but I don't like to use it and it caused delay when scrolling

The Following User Says Thank You to maxximuscool For This Useful Post:
I also find the scrolling difficult to use, sometimes irritating.... it's better to get close to the frequency i'm searching and use the scan.... scanning get the best frequency, anyway a digital and also a manual input would be better

Posts: 364 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Australia
[QUOTE=pycage;852949]Yes, it's still the same fmrx-enabler that was used on the N900 for FM radio from the beginning on. The difference is that Nokia is now using this package, too, so put it into their offical update repository.
Nokia probably built it from an unstable SVN version, though.
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Besides an e-mail asking me as its author if it's OK to use it, I heard nothing of Nokia regarding this. No reply, nothing.
And apparently they didn't test the package much either.
This is bad on the part of Nokia to not give due credit and not adopt it properly, i.e. QA etc.
Thanks for the good work pycage, awaiting eagerly for the next release of MediaBox

The Following User Says Thank You to vivmak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
A good radio tuner program, IMO, should have many different interfaces for tunning, including memorizing stations on a "speedtune" keypad and using those scrollable numbers you got for defining the frequency of the transmitter, bonus points for auto-tunning (like on real radios, where you hit a button to go up or down and it will search for the next station in that direction).

The Samsung Galaxy S radio interface is very beautiful.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
The good news is that Qt on N900 now officially supports the FM receiver, although maybe a bit buggy at the moment.

OTOH I'm working on a D-Bus service for making it really easy for developers to use the tuner in their applications or even shell scripts.

So the future for FM FRadio looks bright!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
The good news is that Qt on N900 now officially supports the FM receiver, although maybe a bit buggy at the moment.

OTOH I'm working on a D-Bus service for making it really easy for developers to use the tuner in their applications or even shell scripts.

So the future for FM FRadio looks bright!
Please add more candy I like it sweet.

Can someone make a QT version of FM Radio? Python version is terrible, it drained a lot of CPU cycle and RAM. Very unstable and sometimes crashed like no tomorrow.