Active Topics

I'm thinking of buying an N800 to stream media wirelessly from my home network. Can I use Itunes with a network attached hard drive to let the N800 "see" my media files and stream them with the main computer turned off? From what I've read, this can be done through upnp, but I'm not enough of a techy to be sure before I buy one.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Posts: 449 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Eureka, CA
The two media streaming programs I have installed on my n800 do not interface with iTunes. (Canola and Mediastreamer).

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Itunes uses the DAAP protocol. There's nothing on the N800 that can use it yet, as far as I know. (There are Linux programs that can use DAAP, but aren't ported.)

Yes, you can stream using a UPNP server program. No need to buy anything.

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Not trying to hijack the thread but I was just looking into the very same thing. So if I understand correctly, there aren't any apps on the nokia that support DAAP servers like mt-daapd (Firefly) or iTunes. So what kinds of uPNP servers do the media streamers support?

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by wkd View Post
Not trying to hijack the thread but I was just looking into the very same thing. So if I understand correctly, there aren't any apps on the nokia that support DAAP servers like mt-daapd (Firefly) or iTunes. So what kinds of uPNP servers do the media streamers support?
M$ WMP11, Twonkey?, and TVersity.

bun

Posts: 362 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Sydney, Australia
Twonky works flawlessly (running on a Qnap NAS TS-409)

Here are some parameters that I would like to fulfill:

1) My audio is primarily FLAC with some MP3, so transcoding is a must.
2) Should be relatively fast (almost 12000 songs)
3) Support for FLAC replaygain tags
4) "Play all" support

Here are the problems I have encountered:

Microsoft - Flac support is bad
Twonky - Site says it does not support transcoding - this is a showstopper - and if I am paying for something I don't expect that I need to re-architect it to make it work...
TVersity - It is kind of slow and clunky but everything functions except for the replaygain tag support .... So close.

Firefly (a.k.a. mt-daapd) is IMO a wonderful product, there is a ton of support for it and it is lightweight and lightning fast. Don't get me wrong I hate iTunes and iPods for that matter but this seems to be a more useful standard to me than uPnP for open source implementations. Seems ironic that DAAP (born from Apple I think) would be more GPL friendly than something called Plug 'n' Play.

There aren't any DAAP clients for the n800 are there?

I use a program called ORB to stream all my media across my network, and over the internet. it has a web interface for when your not on your own network to use. It will stream in pretty much any format you need it to and at any bit rate. So far i use it with my N800 and it work like a charm, for music and some video. i haven't found the correct setting yet for the video to work on the n800, but if your streaming video to a lappy it works great.

The only thing that _remotly_ works with DAAP is FirePlay, which is in itself a Flash application that connects to a firefly (mt-daapd) server.

Check it out here: http://forums.fireflymediaserver.org...pic.php?t=6863

I am very fond of firefly, since its open and there are a lot of great people with good ideas making it even better. But frontends are really hard to find, let alone for maemo....

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by wkd View Post
There aren't any DAAP clients for the n800 are there?
Well, Canola 1 had DAAP support, but the Canola developers lost interest in supporting DAAP when Apple locked others out with iTunes 7. It would certainly be nice to have a client on the tablets to pull music from Firefly servers, but I'm guessing that the reaction of the Canola devs is not atypical, and to developers, DAAP is simply less interesting than the alternatives these days.

Last edited by sjgadsby; 2008-07-02 at 19:34.