Notices

Hey, couldn't shorten my thread name, sorry.

My original afternoon plans were to simply try to install Quake 3 Arena, which led to a lot of errors, a lot. I began installing ioquake3, an application from extra-devels. Then I followed a tutorial on how to proceed, I threw in the pak0.pk3 in the newley created folder "baseq3" placed in MyDocs/.

Now I had to transfer this file to the original quake folder where it reads the pk3 files, aparently, so I entered "mv /home/user/MyDocs/baseq3/* /home/user/.q3a/baseq3/", and in check of it's existance, "ls /home/user/.q3a/baseq3/". It all seemed correct. Next up was to start the program, Nope, wouldn't start. It loaded a couple of seconds and then just shut down.

So next I thought I'd manually open this folder and really check if the files where there, so I began downloading WinSCP to my computer (windows XP) and openSSH to my N900.

Then I had to find out my local IP, downloaded the application "homeip" which was a widget, but I couldn't add it to my desktop, wasn't automatically added or any similar. Just didn't exist. So to this point, Nothing worked.

Eventually I caught some kind of break managing to add "Personal IP Address" which worked fine, though the one single thing I succeeded with today.

So next I open the port 22 to my local IP (TCP), and entered my local IP 192.168.1.66 and the port 22, entered root as username and my chosen password. It searched for my phone but eventually timed out. Anything I missed? :S

I'm sorry for bringing up so much, and all I wanted was to play a little Quake 3, and eventually add a playstation controller, but I can't even seem to install the basics of applications. So if anyone had any solution to any of my problems, I'd be really grateful.

Thanks

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Wigan, UK
I know nothing about quake3 as I've not tried it, however for your IP you could have just used xterm. Gain root and then run:

Code:
ifconfig
Look down the output where the header is 'wlan0' and check out the ip.

As for winscp, your probably best following THIS, although from your motion of getting showIP i'm guessing this is the guide you followed? Are you using wifi or usb?

Last edited by kaos_king; 2011-08-08 at 15:22.

Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
Not having a lot of luck are you, QuantumDuck.

Originally Posted by JamesBond@ge View Post
Not having a lot of luck are you, QuantumDuck.

Agreed, hope that will present itself soon ;p

Originally Posted by kaos_king View Post
I know nothing about quake3 as I've not tried it, however for your IP you could have just used xterm. Gain root and then run:

Code:
ifconfig
Look down the output where the header is 'wlan0' and check out the ip.

As for winscp, your probably best following THIS, although from your motion of getting showIP i'm guessing this is the guide you followed? Are you using wifi or usb?
Well I began with the USB-part, which I eventually skipped because of the application (Mad Develpoer) design didn't look anything like the picture of application, so I didn't know how to navigate. Anyways, the Wi-Fi should work just as fine, I thought.

Yes, I used that tutorial and I managed to acknowledge my Ip, through another application, though it didn't seem to work anyway.

Thanks

I'm not sure how long you have to wait for a bump, but I hope the time has passed .. so .. Bump!

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
What exactly is your problem then?

From your first post it seems you just wanted to check the contents of a folder. Does 'ls' not suit your needs?

You might also want to install mc (midnight commander). It's a nice console-mode file manager. Or use filebox (that's with a GUI).

If your problem is wanting to ssh from a PC into your N900 via WLAN, you have to make sure that your router/AP is allowing the connection.

Normally you have to look for the NAT settings (network address translation), so that you can instruct the router to forward packets directed to an ip/port combination (itś good to set your N900 with a fixed IP address for your home WLAN.. makes everything easier).

The Following User Says Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
And it's important to remember that all WiFi connections use "Power save" mode by default. This means that if no data goes from your device to the network for a while, the WiFi module will power down and you won't be able to SSH to your N900.

The Following User Says Thank You to Joorin For This Useful Post:
Sorry for the late answer, but some solutions have been found. I haven't tried to configure the ssh, but wasn't needed, I installed that application, FileBox .. works terrifically! Thanks.

I also managed to pair my playstation controller to my phone, but quake still has some issues, as well as my normal blue tooth function, probably connected with that pairing issue, but I'll make new posts about those. Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to QuantumDuck For This Useful Post: