Active Topics

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
I bought an N9 a week ago, still got one N900 left...

Went to the city yesterday (the capital in my state), so obviously its quite a large city. Took my N900 with as a dedicated GPS.

I have Sygic MM10, latest version with newest maps.

I had two separate destinations to go to in the day.

Heres scores of the performance of the two devices:

N900: 8/10
N9: 1/10

The N900 gets 8 as it found both destinations, but got the placement wrong. For both destinations it told me the destination was "here" but infact it was at least 5kms further up the road. It got me to the correct street/road but the address number was jumbled. The first time, it told me I was at my destination which was meant to be number 155 but I was around number 800. The second time, it told me I was at 459 but I was around 1500.

The N9 gets 1 as it found my intended destinations when I searched for them, but failed to navigate me to either. I was using the "Drive" app. Going online did not help navigation. Utterly f**king useless.

The Following User Says Thank You to F2thaK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 176 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California
Curious, what version Ovi Maps does the N9 run?

From my experience, Sygic on the N900 blows.

Unsure, but Sygic has been great for me.

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sydney
I'm interested in how the N9's ovi maps works. Does it use a plugin and javascript like the N900, or has it been completely redesigned into an app?

Posts: 151 | Thanked: 178 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ SF Bay Area
Completely redesigned as an app

The Following User Says Thank You to kjmackey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
I'm really interested to get Sygic for my N900, but the website does not support APAC maps. Can someone help? Specifically, I'm looking for Sygic support/maps for Malaysia. Thanks in advance.

well, after the PR1.1 update plus a map update I give the GPS/maps part of the N9 a 10/10. Just awesome! It actually works now, and havent really used it yet (just tested) and it looks better than Sygic!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to F2thaK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,339 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Israel

Originally Posted by F2thaK View Post
well, after the PR1.1 update plus a map update I give the GPS/maps part of the N9 a 10/10. Just awesome! It actually works now, and havent really used it yet (just tested) and it looks better than Sygic!
I didn't notice any changes on PR1.1 on the performance on Maps.
Though to me the N9 maps app has been in totally different planet compared to N900. Looks the same as Symbian newest Nokia Maps, but actually performances better and looks better on the higher reso screen.