Active Topics

Hey guys,

as the alarm of the N9 is not very reliable when the device is shut down I usually keep the N9 running during night. However, before going to bed, I activate the flight mode, mute the volume and activate the power saving mode. It would be awesome to have an app where all these things are done by pressing only one "sleep mode" button.
Moreover, a Drop Cache function could be implemented, which could be executed after disabling the "sleep mode". Therefore, every morning the N9 would have a wiped cache and would be ready for a new day
Maybe it could be possible to activate the sleep mode by a gesture, or by briefly shaking the device or by putting the N9 on the bedside table with the display facing down?

Let me know what you think of this idea!

The Following User Says Thank You to meegofan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 405 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
Why not just airplane mode? Why mute? And doesn't power saving just stop email/rss/twitter/etc checking (won't happen in airplane anyway) and dim the display (which is off anyway)?
Sorry for not answering the question but I think airplane mode alone may be good enough for your use case

Well, I don't want to be woken up by my phone due to low power notifications or stuff like that... Hm, so you are saying that PSM is pretty useless in this usage scenario... Maybe it would be possible then to clock down the CPU speed in sleep mode to save energy? This shouldn't be a problem since overclocking is already possible, right?

Posts: 426 | Thanked: 374 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Middle East
Download profilematic from Nokia store. That app was created EXACTLY for this.

For alarm, silent, power saving, etc.. It's all pretty straight forward in the app. Just set multiple rules for each action, day, time, etc. and it'll do it automatically for you.

Profilematic thread can be followed for more details: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=79642

For automatic dropcache, check this thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=85381

Portfolio: AKstudios : : graphics with attitude.
Flickr: AKstudios
Twitter: @flopjoke

Last edited by flopjoke; 2012-10-18 at 21:51.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flopjoke For This Useful Post:
Thanks for your reply! Actually, I've already installed Profilematic a few weeks ago, but I didn't know it's capabilities. However, as far as I've understood this app, you have to assign rules to the actions defined. As I don't go to bed at a specific time every night, it doesn't make sense for me to define any rules... It would be perfect if an action within Profilematic could also be activated via a single button press at the home screen, don't you think? You wouldn't even have to deactivate this sleep mode, since it could be deactivated automatically as soon as the alarm kicks in.

Hi im writing here because i want use profile mastic for the exact same use.

Does Profilmatic consume batery power (because it haves to controll if needs to do something).

Hi! I'm pretty sure that every app running in the background does consume some processing power (unless apps in the background are sent to some kind of sleep mode like it is the case on the I-Phone or on WP8). However, in practice you won't notice any difference as the energy consumption is already very low when flight mode is activated!

Posts: 594 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Rhine
Originally Posted by meegofan View Post
As I don't go to bed at a specific time every night, it doesn't make sense for me to define any rules... It would be perfect if an action within Profilematic could also be activated via a single button press at the home screen, don't you think?
ProfileMatic can do this way better...
Normally, when you are at home you are on your WLAN and when yout go to bed you plug in your phone for charging and you go to bed let's say between 23pm and 2am for example, except you work shift...
So, you can set up a condition like this for example:
When on Homewlan AND charging AND 23pm-2am: do whatever...

So instead of hitting a button on homescreen you just plug in your phone for charging and done.

Edit: just noticed 23pm, strange time

Last edited by Leinad; 2012-10-19 at 22:08.

The Following User Says Thank You to Leinad For This Useful Post:
Hi! Thanks for the advice, this sounds very good to me! I'll give it a try! But I hope that the sleeping profile won't be deactivated in the middle of the night after the device has been fully loaded... ;-)

Posts: 426 | Thanked: 374 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Middle East
My advice: TRY it first.. then you'll find out what the app really does. Play around with different rules, find one that suits you best.

But you won't know unless you try it. Also, it's better not to install an app without reading about its capabilities first.

Portfolio: AKstudios : : graphics with attitude.
Flickr: AKstudios
Twitter: @flopjoke

The Following User Says Thank You to flopjoke For This Useful Post: