View Full Version : Is it worth money to buy N770??

jayden
2007-09-27, 22:14
HI, this is my first post. Please help me kindly.

I am thinking to buy a Linux-powered device. after comparing prices, i found N770 is much cheaper, besides it has USB host capability.

I worry the quality of it. i heard a rummer that the quality of some N770 are not good, having blank (or white) display, or the display turning blank or white. is it true?

some body talked about version2 N770. are there 2 kinds of N770s?

with USB host, can I use a card reader? if I want to use USB devices with it, shoud they be special?

the memory is small, it seemed i can not use a large swap. what is the best way to solve SMALL MEMORY problem?

thanks.

penguinbait
2007-09-27, 22:36

I am thinking to buy a Linux-powered device. after comparing prices, i found N770 is much cheaper, besides it has USB host capability.

I worry the quality of it. i heard a rummer that the quality of some N770 are not good, having blank (or white) display, or the display turning blank or white. is it true?

with USB host, can I use a card reader? if I want to use USB devices with it, shoud they be special?

the memory is small, it seemed i can not use a large swap. what is the best way to solve SMALL MEMORY problem?

thanks.

depends on the money, 130$ is a very good price to jump into an IT (770), you seem to have done some homework on the subject. USB host is nice, but what will you use it for? I mean it would have to be plugged in to use, then there are wires everywhere. Is the card reader for a camera? only used occaisonally, then its not bad? If it is for space, the n800 would be better, although current firmware seems a bit ruff on the SD cards, and price is much higher. Then you have the new FCC post for n900??? If this releases the n800 should drop dramatically.

I had 770 for 1 year, then n800 since january. The n800 is peppier, but the 770 is a very useable, swap helps with both the 770 and n800

Good luck

aleksandyr
2007-09-27, 22:53
The 770 remains a very nice web browsing appliance with a set of other useful features. The N800 improves on it in basically every way.

N800 has USB-OTG support, which is arguably as useful: N770 host mode is a royal pain to get working properly.

If your need is not immediate, wait for the WiMax release. I'll probably sell mine when that one comes out. :)

nosam
2007-09-27, 23:25

thanks.

Hi [I added the numbers above]
No quality problems. it works fine. Rare to have a screen problem. Sometime people play around with Linux and break them by doing that.
Just 1 version. This is a very hackable computer. You can add all sorts of programs and put a test version of the N800 OS on it to run more programs.
Some advanced hacks are buggy, like the n800 os, but basic function and lots of programs work fine.
You will buy a 1 or 2 Gig MMC card for this (or any size up to 2 Gig will work).

It's a great machine for web browsing, using wi-fi, plus u can read books, pdf, games, watch videos, youtube, etc, If you are willing to learn you can do more. If you want a perfect working, very easy machine, this is not the 770, but with patience you can do so much. You need to learn at first how to use it for more than just web though.

Also, sometimes the web browser will quit (its very usable just not perfect), and flash 9 content on the web wont work on a 770 but will on a
n800.

A great device!

jayden
2007-09-28, 15:43
depends on the money, 130$ is a very good price to jump into an IT (770), you seem to have done some homework on the subject. USB host is nice, but what will you use it for? I mean it would have to be plugged in to use, then there are wires everywhere. Is the card reader for a camera? only used occaisonally, then its not bad? If it is for space, the n800 would be better, although current firmware seems a bit ruff on the SD cards, and price is much higher. Then you have the new FCC post for n900??? If this releases the n800 should drop dramatically.

I had 770 for 1 year, then n800 since january. The n800 is peppier, but the 770 is a very useable, swap helps with both the 770 and n800

Good luck
you have the point! what do i need a card reader for? since there is not much memory in the device.

thanks for all of you. i am not hurry, i will wait for sometime. i do not think it is good way for nokia to do business that they do not support their OLD devices, like now they support N800, not N770.

paulm
2007-10-02, 22:05
Having owned a 770 for two days now, I feel qualified to answer :)

The price (about $150ish) is great for what you get: it's a real computer that runs real apps on a real operating system. It's smaller than it looks online. The built in 2006 browser renders almost everything great, but ajax (javascript in general?) doesn't work. EDIT: ah, there's an option to turn on javascript. basecamp ajax controls still don't seem to work tho

The "2 versions" refer to which os it shipped with (2005 or 2006). You can flash upgrade to the newest.

People have seemed to get usb keyboards and mass storage working, but you gotta mess around with it (ie, not out of the box).

I've only gotten the out of memory error a few times, and now that i have a swap file turned on I haven't seen it. Keep in mind that this isn't a powerhorse of a computer, but it does what it's supposed to and it does it well

you can stick 2gb of rs-mmc (mmc mobile) in there -- that's not too shabby! plug the 770 into the computer with the included usb cable and it mounts the card as a mass storage device (transfer rates were pretty anemic though -- i'd just use the network).

Let me know if you have any other questions -- this newbie is LOVING his 770

nosam
2007-10-02, 23:42
The "2 versions" refer to which os it shipped with (2005 or 2006). You can flash upgrade to the newest.

this newbie is LOVING his 770

Nice reply. I am loving mine after 1 month too.

BTW, the 2 versions are 2006 OS and OS 2007 Hackers Edition or HE, which u can install yourself and run some extra programs or features like better (flash or Java?) support in Opera. OS 2007HE lets u run N800 software, but it has some bugs and some regular OS2006 programs don't work.

johnkzin
2007-10-04, 04:38
swap helps with both the 770 and n800

This is a bit off topic for this thread, but how exactly do you set up swap on an n800?

Do you need a dedicated swap partition, or can you have a file set up for it within a regular partition?

I've ordered two 2GB SD cards ... so if I need to do something special, it'd be good to know now. I plan to use one for almost exclusively dedicated/internal use in the n800 ... so it's ok if it's not basic DOS/FAT format. Partial ufs (or whatever that linux fs format is called) and partial swap would be sub-optimal, but ok. In some regard, I might even be willing to have the entire card to swap space (I've already thought about the idea some, but not yet gotten around to the exact execution plan).

The other card, which will go in the slot that has a door behind the stand, I'm going to want to be able to move among multiple devices, so it probably has to be FAT.

Thoughts on how I should set this up?

mike-y
2007-10-05, 19:54
you set up swap in the control panel, under the "memory" option. 64mb is the largest size you can set.

Anyway, the 770 and n800 are great devices, as long as you understand that you are getting an internet browsing device, that happens to have a few pc-like features and programs, and not a full blown PC.

If you need something powerfull with large amounts of storage and memory, get a laptop.

but if you are looking for a portable internet browser, they will be great. I got my 770 about a month and a half ago, and I really didn't expect much out of it. I mainly got it because it was on sale for $129, and I didn't want to spend the money and monthly fees for an iphone just to have portable internet.

I am actually enjoying mine more than I expected. I can use it almost anywhere, and I like that I don't have to always find a computer to quickly check email, or read the news when I'm bored or waiting somewhere.

geneven
2007-10-05, 21:06
I am finding my N800 very handy while I am working on my laptop. I can keep the documentation handy and look things up while the laptop is on the operating table. (I just installed Puppy Linux and am having trouble getting it to boot from the hard drive rather than a cd.)

johnkzin
2007-10-05, 22:06
you set up swap in the control panel, under the "memory" option. 64mb is the largest size you can set.

Thanks, that will be very handy :-)

Anyway, the 770 and n800 are great devices, as long as you understand that you are getting an internet browsing device, that happens to have a few pc-like features and programs, and not a full blown PC.

Actually, 80% of what I need a desktop for can be done on my N800. There are some work things that I _have_ to do on a bigger screen, but that's not a memory nor storage issue ... my desktop doesn't get used for intensive memory and storage, that's what my server farm is for.

The main things I need _memory_ for on my N800 are ... keeping open lots of web pages (the N800 seems to start getting slow at about 5 or 6 open pages). And storage: lots of mp3s. (on my desktop it's also for keeping open lots of web pages, but also for having lots of "work in progress" documents and files, which I wouldn't really do on the N800).

And the only things I wouldn't do on my N800 that I might have to do on a desktop or laptop ... are working with office documents. (I wouldn't mind being able to _view_ word and excel docs on my N800, though ... but doing more than the most basic editing? no thanks).

jayden
2007-10-09, 21:24
thanks for the information.

indeed, an N770 is good for me. what i worry most is so called WSOD, and another issue is if Nokia continues supporting N770. it is okay to me if there is no WSOD even Nokia stops supporting n770.

the good thing is N800 is getting cheaper. i hope it become cheap enough when i have time to play it.:) i am busy recently:mad:

rs-px
2007-10-10, 16:51
It has to be said that I'm very pleasantly surprised by my new N770, whcih I bought because it's so astonishingly cheap nowadays.

So many reviewers were down on the N770 that I thought it was worthless. But it transpires that it's pretty good. My biggest concern was speed but browsing works very well indeed, provided you steer clear of extremely complex pages. The system is also mostly responsive, even if you have to wait a few milliseconds for things to happen. And I haven't even played around with installing the OS on the memory card yet... Things can only get better.

Yes, it's flaky, but this is the world of hobbyist Linux, and it's something I'm used to. You could even argue that any seasoned Windows user is used to this kind of thing.

If a 770 lands in the right hands, it's a match made in heaven. I've decided to skip the 800 and wait for the 900 next year.

johnkzin
2007-10-10, 17:07
If a 770 lands in the right hands, it's a match made in heaven.

Indeed.

Even though I could have gone cheaper with the 770, or waited a month and wound up with a much less expensive N800, I'm glad I bought my N800 (self chosen birthday present). It IS a match made in heaven. :-)

And it's not just for geeks. My wife liked my N800 so much, she decided against the iPod Touch she was looking at, and got an N800 of her own, instead.

I can't wait to see what the next gen device has. And with WiMAX in addition to bluetooth and wifi ... ooh...

rs-px
2007-10-10, 17:19
And it's not just for geeks. My wife liked my N800 so much, she decided against the iPod Touch she was looking at, and got an N800 of her own, instead.

I can't wait to see what the next gen device has. And with WiMAX in addition to bluetooth and wifi ... ooh...

When I saw the YouTube videos showing the iPhone/touch browser, I thought it looked pretty innovative. But the N770 has been doing the same thing for a couple of years! The only difference is the finger-pinch zoom. In fact, because of its stylus, you could even argue that the N770/800 is even better. It has Flash too!

As for Wimax, well, that's not too interesting to me. But I would like to see a device with a better CPU/RAM specification. But I'm not holding my breath. I know from other Nokia devices that performance isn't vitally important to them. As long as it works, it's good enough for Nokia, even if you have to wait a few seconds for the screen/menu to draw. I guess it's also the old battery vs CPU debate too.

johnkzin
2007-10-10, 17:51
When I saw the YouTube videos showing the iPhone/touch browser, I thought it looked pretty innovative. But the N770 has been doing the same thing for a couple of years! The only difference is the finger-pinch zoom. In fact, because of its stylus, you could even argue that the N770/800 is even better. It has Flash too!

Yeah, every time I see someone go on about finger-scrolling for the iPhone/Touch, I think "uh, I do that on my N800 all the time". The only difference is the zoom mechanic. And, admittedly, I do like the ability to pick exactly where I'm zooming and by how much, that Apple gives ... but it's not such an overwhelming feature as to make up for all of the iPhone/Touch short comings.

As for Wimax, well, that's not too interesting to me. But I would like to see a device with a better CPU/RAM specification. But I'm not holding my breath. I know from other Nokia devices that performance isn't vitally important to them. As long as it works, it's good enough for Nokia, even if you have to wait a few seconds for the screen/menu to draw. I guess it's also the old battery vs CPU debate too.

Personally, I think CPU speed is a hobgoblin. Reliability is FAR more important to me than crunching ability. People go on about having to wait a few extra milliseconds for a response, but I'd rather always know that I'm going to get a response (instead of a crash) than know that the unreliable responses will always happen as soon as I click. Really, CPUs are long since fast enough, and I haven't found the N800's CPU to be lacking (sure, it slows down some times, but all in reasonable places ... faster might be more convenient, but it's not necessary). And, yeah, battery life is my #2 concern.

That said, more RAM is definitely something I'd like to see.

And more storage. Nokia needs to work on a firm integration plan with both the BlueOnyx and the Seagate D.A.V.E. That's solve the storage side of things nicely. Then offer better support for larger SD (storage space wise) SD cards ... having it be unrealiable to use 16GB SD cards isn't really a good thing (and feeds right back into my reliability priority).

I also think it'd make more sense to have the default/supported configuration be to have the OS installed on the internal SD card. Include a 2GB card with the device, instead of the limited one they do send, and have the base OS on that card. Make it easy for a PC, Mac, or Linux box to download and install the OS via an SD card reader. And make it easy to copy the OS to the external card slot (so you can easily upgrade to a 16GB card: put 16GB card into the external slot, copy OS from internal slot to external slot, power down, put the 16GB card into the internal slot, and power back up). Then, the only thing the internal flash-ram has to have is a copy of your internet settings, and a basic connect and download program, so that you always have a fall-back for downloading the latest OS to the internal card if you can't use a PC, or if your old card is dead for some reason. Make the rest of the internal memory be for actual RAM.

As for WiMAX ... I like the idea of a built in WAN over having to use a cell phone via bluetooth. I still want the bluetooth option, for flexibilty, but some form of WAN, for when I'm away from wifi, is highly desirable to me. And WiMAX is MUCH faster than EDGE or EVDO. People say they don't want a cell radio in their N900, which I can see ... but my desire for that functionality has NOTHING to do with making regular calls. It has everything to do with WAN access when I'm not in a wifi hotspot. Of course, that partially depends on how expensive Sprint's WiMAX service is. I'm going to want "unlimited internet", so if they charge a lot for data rates, or a high price for unlimited data, through WiMAX, then I may have second thoughts about how much I plan to use their WiMAX.

But, if I had to prioritize CPU, RAM, Storage, WAN, and Battery ... I'd probably put them in this order:

Storage
Battery
RAM
WAN
CPU

macpro
2007-10-20, 20:16
Hello,

I'm new to this board, new to this thread and perhaps will become a new Nokia tablet user. I saw a Nokia 770 for sale @ $150. Looks like a good buy to me considering a year or so ago, it sold for close to $400.

My question is this.... how compatible is this device with a Macintosh computer running OSX? The only thing I want to probably do between the 2 devices is transfer data to and from one to the other and perhaps back again. Does the Mac see the Nokia when you plug it in to USB or over the wireless network? Or vice versa?

Are the external memory cards readily available, and would they be readable with my external card reader device that can read camera flash memory cards, Mac formatted cards and PC formatted cards. I know the Nokia runs with Linux and I have almost zero familiarity with Linux compatibility with the Mac OS.

Sorry if any of these questions have been answered in other parts of this forum. I haven't had time to look at everything yet.

GeneralAntilles
2007-10-20, 20:29
Hello,

I'm new to this board, new to this thread and perhaps will become a new Nokia tablet user. I saw a Nokia 770 for sale @ $150. Looks like a good buy to me considering a year or so ago, it sold for close to $400.

My question is this.... how compatible is this device with a Macintosh computer running OSX? The only thing I want to probably do between the 2 devices is transfer data to and from one to the other and perhaps back again. Does the Mac see the Nokia when you plug it in to USB or over the wireless network? Or vice versa?

Are the external memory cards readily available, and would they be readable with my external card reader device that can read camera flash memory cards, Mac formatted cards and PC formatted cards. I know the Nokia runs with Linux and I have almost zero familiarity with Linux compatibility with the Mac OS.

Sorry if any of these questions have been answered in other parts of this forum. I haven't had time to look at everything yet.

Works just fine with OS X, but with the N800 in the low $200-range these days, it's pretty much not worth getting a 770 unless it's under $120.

bholzman
2007-10-22, 16:19
I have a iMac and a 770 and have had no problems - though if you want to reflash the unit, it is much easier from a pc. Also, you won't want to transfer files directly between the Mac and unit - it is extremely slow - much better to use a card reader.

I bought my 770 about 6 weeks ago and it is very usable - I have loaded many applications on it - though the web browser while mostly fine has some limitations (e.g. can't get onto my bank websites or similar, and Yahoo is funky - and Youtube which I couldn't care less about is not usable). The browser is becoming somewhat dated.

Does anyone know if the 800 has better access to secure sites such as bank websites?

sachin007
2007-10-22, 16:24
I have a iMac and a 770 and have had no problems - though if you want to reflash the unit, it is much easier from a pc. Also, you won't want to transfer files directly between the Mac and unit - it is extremely slow - much better to use a card reader.

I bought my 770 about 6 weeks ago and it is very usable - I have loaded many applications on it - though the web browser while mostly fine has some limitations (e.g. can't get onto my bank websites or similar, and Yahoo is funky - and Youtube which I could care less about is not usable). The browser is becoming somewhat dated.

Does anyone know if the 800 has better access to secure sites such as bank websites?

I would think they use the same browsers... but you could use microb which i think will open any website just like a normal desktop browser. But the best choice is to buy the n800. Believe me it is worth the upgrade. Even more with the new os coming. It will save you from a lot of frustration.