PDA

View Full Version : how can i set up internet connection with N810 + T-Mobile Data

therock_80
2008-06-21, 05:37
I tried to look around in this forum, but i couldnt find any setup or config internet on N810 (using with TMobile Data Plans)
I dont know which data plan i go with? $5.99(T-mobile web) and $19.99(T-mobile hostpot), or TMobile Total Internet ???
My phones Samsung A437/ Nokia 6201. All supports with bluetooth and EDGE.
I would like to use internet and gizmo call on N810 .
Please help me set up config infomation or give me some reference link ?
I also heard about DUN and how can i set up this?
Thank you

here.david
2008-06-21, 06:37
search for my postings...here is the "down and dirty info"

GPRS

wap.voicestream.com

Phone Number to dial: *99***1#

Username and password are all blank

others did this

Just had to change the built in N810 script for Tmobile from internet2.voicestream.com to internet3.voicestream.com

therock_80
2008-06-21, 07:13
Thanks for configuration.
If i use this setting and connect online, will i be charge per minute by TMobile ?
.Or which data plan should i buy before using it?

here.david
2008-06-21, 14:40
It is by the data...very expensive,,,unless you get the 19.95 (per month) plan as this is way to go as it is unlimited plus Hot spot WiFi....call T-mobile on your phone and ask them.

therock_80
2008-06-21, 17:00
Can i use phone as dial up modem and connect with N810 via bluetooth? I have free dial up account at my school.

sparkling
2008-06-22, 01:36
T-Mobile HotSpot is a WiFi plan that only works in establishments, such as coffee shops and airports, which have contracted with T-Mobile to provide wireless internet access. HotSpot is not a service provided through T-Mobile's wireless phone network. If you want to be able to connect everywhere you need to add a data plan to your phone service.

nokian111
2008-06-25, 11:54
i have $5.99 t-zones and it works fine in most locations with n800 and bluetooth
connection to phone... it is very slow and sometimes times out and the web pages are not delivered. but then i just click again... for occasional html browsing it is cheap and good enough. when i need more than that i use a wifi connection instead anyway. if i am in the city or at a hotel, finding wifi is no problem.

you may need to set a proxy address of port 8080
instead of 80 to get html web pages via t-zones on your phones connection
settings. here is another forum with extensive details on phone web connections:

www.howardforums.com

do a search there on tzones, port 8080, and so on.

i think

ycchang
2008-06-26, 16:27
I use the T-mobileWeb (or T-zones) service too. It is very slow and it only allows you browser web and get mail on your internet tablet. You can not use IM in T-mobileWeb service. But it is quite cheap. Only 5.99 per month. And its very slow~~ speed internet connection is enough to download map when I use Maemo Mapper in driving.

Clayforge
2008-06-26, 17:10
I have been trying to get an answer out of T-Mobile as to which data plan I need to be able to hook my N810 to the internet through my phone. Simply put, their Customer Care department is filled with idiots! here is their most recent response:

"Unfortunately I do not have any information in my systems regarding this information. I do apologize for the inconvenience. What you would need to do is contact customer care and speak with WDS. WDS specializes in the information that you are requesting.

Remember that you can always send another email or give us a call
at 1800-937-8997 and a customer service representative will direct your call to the tier of support that can better assist you."

So, instead of sending my query to the next level of support, they suggest I send another email to the department I am already talking to, and then they will send it to the next tier!

I guess i will just add the $5.99 T-zones, and see if that does what I need...

here.david
2008-06-26, 18:01
I do not work for nor have any stock/interest in T-mobile AND have had, as does everyone with every carrier sooner or later, issues. Compared to every other carrier I have used my t-mobile thoughts to your posting is listed.

1st, if you use anything except the email (or more than a few megs download a month) I use and recommend the $19.95 plan....

2nd, the t-mobile folks are the less costly and more service hours than the other carriers I have used previously.

3rd, if you do not use, as with every carrier I know, their approved equipment very little help is able to be given, other than what you must/could find researching (I have spent 100's of hours over the years doing my own research and then calling the carries back with the info so they might put it in their database for their support folks) on your own. Sadly, it either does not reach the right person/group or gets lost in the "black hole" of information overload.

4th, not to sound rude, however, expecting support folks to know everything about everything is unrealistic. To many "i" before "e" except after "c" kinds of issues.

Lastly, if you search on my postings I have previously, I am unable to get that info currently, posted all that you need to know is in them....as there are a few inputs that do not work "out-of-the-box"...

You may email me at:

here.david1@gmail.com

with specific questions, your equipment, what you are going to use the equipment for, etc. and I will try to help!

therock_80
2008-06-26, 21:13
Sprint SERO $30(500 minutes + unlimited data).
Of course, i have to look for some phone to tether with the N810( Ex: samsung A900, 500...)
Is this deal good and possible on N810 ?

Benson
2008-06-26, 22:54
Yes, as a search for SERO indicates, that's possible. It seems pretty good to some, though different people are always looking for different things.

Clayforge
2008-06-27, 21:49
Here.david, thanks for the input. It is appreciated. And I do realize you were not trying to be rude with #4. Honestly, I do not expect any customer service to know EVERYTHING. I just found it humorous that the rep did not know the answer, knew which customer support tier would have the info, and never thought to upgrade my query to that department. Seemed like the next logical step for them to take. But, there i go again, thinking logically. :D

Anyway, again I appreciate your input on this.

Scott

johndoe32102002
2008-08-05, 04:55
I can only get email on the N810 with tzones. Can someone help me get web? I checked about:config, and it was using a proxy; in addition, I was using the default t-zones profile in the N810. Thanks.

arashed31
2008-08-05, 12:30
I searched on Google and found this web site: http://www.gruups.com/tzones/

I haven't tried it but I'm pretty sure it would work. The settings are for the $6/month WAP plan but let you go to any web site you want.

The only difference between the $6 and the $20 plan is that the cheaper one uses a proxy.

bmz
2008-08-07, 05:11
I am new to this forum and i was going to start a new thread but this thread came up so i am going to give it a shot here. i am going to get a nokia E71 NAM this weekend and i was thinking about getting a N810 to go along with it so that i can have a better internet and multimedia experience while on the go (do not mind carrying 2 relatively small devices), using the E71 data connection either thru bluetooth or wifi application such as WalkingHotSpot (by the way are these wifi applications easy to enable on the N810?). anyway, i got AT&T unlimited data for which i pay $20 per month. i know that AT&T has some 'soft' cap of 5Gigs per month. i need to know if the N810 while connected to the internet searches for updates automatically (i do not think i have ever used a LINUX device before) like windows vista because i do not want to attract the attention of my carrier. thanks for all your help

regards

bmz

sachin007
2008-08-07, 05:16
I am new to this forum and i was going to start a new thread but this thread came up so i am going to give it a shot here. i am going to get a nokia E71 NAM this weekend and i was thinking about getting a N810 to go along with it so that i can have a better internet and multimedia experience while on the go (do not mind carrying 2 relatively small devices), using the E71 data connection either thru bluetooth or wifi application such as WalkingHotSpot (by the way are these wifi applications easy to enable on the N810?). anyway, i got AT&T unlimited data for which i pay $20 per month. i know that AT&T has some 'soft' cap of 5Gigs per month. i need to know if the N810 while connected to the internet searches for updates automatically (i do not think i have ever used a LINUX device before) like windows vista because i do not want to attract the attention of my carrier. thanks for all your help

regards

bmz

Okay the best way i think is to keep the device in offline mode when you dont use it. That way it does not have a constant connection via bluetooth to your phone, so it would not drain your battery and data. And it takes a few seconds to go back to the normal mode and continue browsing when ever you want.

bmz
2008-08-07, 05:46
ok thank you Sachin007. thats some good advice

jinlaca
2008-08-09, 05:38
I signed up for the T-Mobile $5.99 T-Zones.
I paired my phone (RAZR V3), changed the log on to *99***1# and when I connect to the phone it shows GPRS Active.

At this point when I try to get even a simple web page the N810 browser just says connection.... until it times out.

If the GPRS Active is showing on the phone am I signed on correctly to T-Zones?

I don't have very good coverage at my home so I am wondering if this is the problem or am I not connected properly?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

jinlaca
2008-08-09, 21:36
Update: So I am able to download email but not connect to the web.

I have to guess that the settings must be correct. I see in other posts that this seems to be a common issue.

Any guess if it is the phone or the N810 or T-Mobile service?

jinlaca
2008-08-15, 20:03
I hope that this post helps people who can not get the internet or Email working on the T-Mobile Web $5.99 service.

When I first set up the T-Mobile Web service I could not get internet to work. As far as I could tell I had all of the settings correctly entered.

I also saw my phone (RAZR V3) had "GPRS Active" on the screen and a traffic icon would blink from time to time. I could intermittantly download email but the web browser would show "connecting" then time out.

I read a bunch of posts in this forum, the T-mobile site and also at: http://www.gruups.com/tzones/. After much trial and error I finally got the web and email (send and receive) working.

I am not sure which parts fixed it but here is what I did:

1. Go to the T-Mobile site and Update the settings to your phone for "T-Mobile Web" and "My Email". There are instructions on the site.

To get there log-in then go to the T-Mobile Wireless Data Configurator: http://us.t-mobile.mywds.com/

Then:
Configure your phone for "T-Zones WAP"
and
"My Email" to set up an email account on the T-Mobile site that links in with your email provider. Be sure to select the "T-Zones" Email.

You need your phone on to receive the updates.

2. Make sure your phone can get to T-Zones all by itself and browse the web.

3. Pair your phone with the N810 and follow the prompts. Select the default T-Mobile setup.

Once it is complete go to "Connectivity Settings" and edit the T-Mobile profile as follows:

N810 T-MobileWeb settings:

Connection name: T-Mobile
Connection Type: GPRS
Access Point Name (APN): wap.voicestream.com
Dial Up Number: *99***1#
Username: (Blank)
Password: (Blank)
Prompt passworkd at every login: unchecked

[Advanced]

[Proxies]
Use proxy: checked
HTTP proxy: 216.155.165.50 (NOT 216.155.165.050)
Port number: 8080
HTTPs proxy: 216.155.165.50
Port number: 8080

[IP Addresses]
Auto-retrieve IP address: checked
Auto-retrieve DNS: checked

[Other]
Allow plain text login: checked
Use PPP compression: checked
Supplementary AT commands: (blank)

Email Setup:

This differs from the setup at: http://www.gruups.com/tzones/. Here you will only use the T-Mobile SMTP outgoing service and your original POP for incoming email.

You should have already set up your account on the T-Mobile web site before doing any setup on the N810.

An assumption is that your email works when connected to WIFI. If not get this working first.

Now, in POP account settings of the N810 email application, go to the "Outgoing" tab and scroll to the bottom.
Check "Use connection specific SMTP servers"
Then click the EDIT SMTP Servers

Setup the original WIFI connection SMTP server just as you have it in your original setup page.

Setup the T-Mobile conneciton as follows:

Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): myemail.t-mobile.com
Use secure authentication: LOGIN
User Name: (phone number):1 If you have more than 1 "My Email" account you will change the 1 to a 2 for the second account, etc.
Password: Your normal email server password

pathensley
2008-10-03, 16:32
fwiw, I was struggling for days to connect my 770 & n810 to my TM506 using US tzones thru BT, kept getting a connection failed error - finally, I removed everything in my tzones config except the phone# (i.e. remove apn, user, password, proxies, & at string) & it WORKS!

fragos
2008-10-04, 02:11
You might consider a Boingo WiFi account. The N810 is classified as a cell phone and gets WiFi for 7.95 per month. Boingo is common at airports, hotels and MacDonalds. They have a roaming agreement with AT&T which gives you Starbucks as an access point. 1st month is free to try using the Boingo ap for the N8x0. Service is month to month, there are no contracts.

Thesandlord
2008-10-04, 02:21
One thing about these free WiFi systems. Once I was in a shop, and it said free WiFi, but it required a proprietary VPN software, and it would obviously not work on the tablet (but somehow it "worked" with the iPhone, even though back then there was no SDK...). Boingo will work because they have a tablet solution, but I still don't trust it. Anyway, bluetooth to a cellphone is totally different than WiFi, and I think its better on the road. If you pay for WiFi access, chances are a simple wardrive around the street will find you a open access point. Residential districts, libraries, eateries, etc...

johndoe32102002
2008-10-09, 00:04
I tried these options with T-Mobile internet and it didn't work. I could ping and randomly get on Skype, but not surf the internet. Solution: Drop T-Mobile's internet ASAP fixed the problem.

fragos
2008-10-09, 01:08
I've tried Boingo on my N810 and it worked well for me every time I tried it at a local Starbucks which has AT&T WiFi service. There is a roaming arrangement between AT&T and Boingo. First month is free and there is no long term contract involved.

gogol
2009-08-06, 23:58
After a good looooong time getting my T-mobile plan to work with a bluetooth tethered XP machine, I may as well post the config that worked here. Somebody may stumble across it and be happy:

http://bill-micke.com/blog/2009/02/how-to-tether-your-blackberry-curve/