PDA

View Full Version : GPS question

les_garten
2009-10-03, 04:21
Is the GPS truly standalone?

If you do not enable GPS service on ATT, will it work?

If you had no SIM in it would it work with onboard maps?

Would it failover to Nokia's A-GPS if you had not ATT GPS enabled?

I have ATT and have never done GPS via phone.

Obviously a hand held Garmin GPS doesn't need phone service. Can the N900 do this as well in some fashion?

baksiidaa
2009-10-03, 05:43
Yes, the GPS does not require phone service.

Thesandlord
2009-10-03, 05:44
1) Yes
2) There is no ATT GPS service for the N900, so...
3) Yes
4) Yes, there is no ATT GPS

This is a real GPS. No need for phone service at all, though it helps with getting a faster lock.

les_garten
2009-10-03, 05:57
1) Yes
2) There is no ATT GPS service for the N900, so...
3) Yes
4) Yes, there is no ATT GPS

This is a real GPS. No need for phone service at all, though it helps with getting a faster lock.

Hi,
Let me re-ask a few based on info I have and where I got it from. I'll use you numbers.

2) and 4) I was referring to the fact that ATT charges $5/mo over the data plan for access to their A-GPS servers.

The Nokia manual says if the service provider does not provide A-GPS servers, the N900 will failover to Nokia's A-GPS servers.

I have an ATT Data acct, but did not subscribe to a GPS account.

Thanx!

Thesandlord
2009-10-03, 06:14
yeah don't worry about that, you can completely turn off AGPS and use normal GPS.

munky261
2009-10-03, 20:34
I once used a Moto Q9H with att gps (on my trip to chicago to get my N810 in 2007 actually) and IT SUCKED. Actually shutdown on me in downtown Chicago saying it couldnt plan a route at this time.

Flandry
2009-10-03, 20:35
If you check out the comments (http://my-symbian.com/forum/posting.php?mode=quote&p=368395) in the preview discussion thread on my-symbian, you'll see that Michal tested it for me without the server assist, and it took 6 minutes from a cold start to get a fix (but with part of the sky obstructed). I believe it was around 30 seconds in server assisted mode (that's in the preview, which i highly recommend if you are considering an n900.).

les_garten
2009-10-03, 21:05
If you check out the comments (http://my-symbian.com/forum/posting.php?mode=quote&p=368395) in the preview discussion thread on my-symbian, you'll see that Michal tested it for me without the server assist, and it took 6 minutes from a cold start to get a fix (but with part of the sky obstructed). I believe it was around 30 seconds in server assisted mode (that's in the preview, which i highly recommend if you are considering an n900.).

That's why I thought it was Kewl in the manual that said it would use the Nokia server if no other A-GPS was available. I don't know how it can pull that off, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Flandry
2009-10-03, 21:18
That's why I thought it was Kewl in the manual that said it would use the Nokia server if no other A-GPS was available. I don't know how it can pull that off, but it's interesting nonetheless.

I'm pretty sure you have to have data access to use AGPS with the N900. If the phone is unable to access the Nokia assist server, it can do the calculations on board, but is obviously slower. Pretty hairy math going on in GPS. :eek:

les_garten
2009-10-03, 21:38
I'm pretty sure you have to have data access to use AGPS with the N900. If the phone is unable to access the Nokia assist server, it can do the calculations on board, but is obviously slower. Pretty hairy math going on in GPS. :eek:

Hi,
I have DATA, I don't know if the ATT A-GPS servers are open to anyone with DATA, I think they are. Since I have DATA, according to the manual I will be able to use the Nokia servers and I guess 'may" be able to use the ATT servers.

kamakazikev24
2009-10-03, 21:51
AGPS simply uses phone masts to help the phone find where it is and also the time code so it also knows which sats to look for. This will use a small amount of data but speeds up cold starts.

Flandry
2009-10-03, 21:52
You should be fine using Nokia servers. My inquiry was due to the probability i'll be using the phone GPS out of cell range, where obviously no server assist would be available.