PDA

View Full Version : [Sandbox] User experience feedback improvement(s) - feedback, app rating, bug reporting, etc

Texrat
2009-12-21, 21:54
Abstract:

The Problem:
The Maemo ecosystem could benefit from a rich, internally-consistent feedback mechanism or mechanisms supporting bug reporting, managed application testing, application rating and related activities. Currently, bug reporting is difficult for average and/or new users, testing is too ad hoc and ratings systems are not fully utilized.

The Proposal:
Develop a solution or solutions that makes these activities easier on users and puts feedback opportunities in more appropriate locations and contexts.

Initial solution:

Develop a web-based framework and API that could be utilized equally by websites and Maemo devices. The framework would wrap all current Bugzilla functionality and add support for application ratings along with any related feedback needs.

Texrat and Attila77 are currently in the process of developing a whitepaper for this solution; input is requested and highly valued!

EDIT: link now available

http://maemo.org/community/brainstorm/view/user_experience_feedback_improvement-s/

Texrat
2009-12-21, 21:55
Supporting materials:

http://www.usabilitynews.com/news/article1008.asp

aspidites
2009-12-21, 23:43
How feasible/practical would it be to add an option to the power button menu(?) below "End Current Task" that says "Submit Feedback" which would launch the above mentioned website for users/developers/testers to submit their bug report, feature request, praise, or complaint?

Texrat
2009-12-22, 01:32
Great question! I don't know the answer, but you're thinking like I've been thinking! :)

Texrat
2009-12-23, 15:52
I'm beginning to feel GeraldKo's pain. So many people asking for improvement here, so little engagement so far...

aspidites
2009-12-23, 17:45
I myself am waiting to see the beginnings of the API mentioned above to gauge whether or not I would be able to actively contribute or simply offer suggestions as I have above.

"If you build it, they will come."

Texrat
2009-12-23, 17:53
Understood-- but I'm also hoping to 1) see other suggestions and 2) see if anyone else has ideas on such a framework/API. I'd like to harvest ideas before I start writing and diagramming...

RevdKathy
2010-01-07, 17:22
Hmmm.. this thread came up when I went to start a new one, and I think my thunks are near enough to be part of this brainstorm.

What set me thinking was seeing people in t.m.o proudly declaring that they'd d/led something from garage and it works a treat. My problem is that if that's all they do by way of feedback, the app will remain in garage and people like me (reluctant to install from garage via xterm) are kept waiting unnecessarily for good quality apps. Not to mention that devs are kept waiting for feedback unless they trawl through the talk threads. And talk feedback doesn't count in votes.

So a couple of thoughts:

1) Make garage d/ls account-holder only, and two days after the d/l send an email to the account asking the user to give feedback with a link (much as amazon marketplace or ebay solicit feedback)

2) some sort of app-specific feedback page made easily clickable from t.m.o. so someone posting how great an app is can be easily directed to a vote on it.

3) Make two levels of feedback: the simple vote - did it work or not? - and then offer "Would you like to provide fuller feedback via bugzilla?" with a link. In fact, I'd be tempted to make the app's bugzilla entry the automatic output of a 'no' vote.

If any of those make sense to anyone, say and I'll add them to the brainstorm.

Flandry
2010-01-07, 17:41
The first idea, in particular, i like.

The others are more general and are probably covered by the first proposal in some way.

I was going to add another solution proposal of my own, and then realized that it, too is covered by the ambitious original proposed solution. I guess it could be seen as a requisite first step to the completion of the main solution.

Here's what i had started to say.

Fix what's already there

We need single login and a fixed search feature on m.o. Beyond that...

Currently, an app requires a bugtracker link to get through Extras-Testing. While this is good in theory, in practice it is not very useful to a typical user, who will not have the motivation or courage to venture into bugtracker. The most casual user will not use any feedback mechanism but one that is integral with the device itself, and for that demographic, Texrat's proposal is the best.

However, there is a large demographic not currently optimally engaged: those that actually do come to m.o to browse the forum etc. For these, an official talk thread that is also supported by a control file entry (like the bug tracker) would be useful. Obviously we'd like to see all of this integrated, but this seems like a much more practical interim step.

This has even greater potential than just a means of getting feedback: it can be an "automatic" source of documentation for maemo apps (my only feedback on the N900 from users i know personally is "I can't figure out how to use this." and they are continually amazed at how much it can do once I show them how). The maintainer can put the "manual" into the first post of the thread, and with a simple addition HAM could automatically load up the page in MicroB at the conclusion of an app installation.

Well, you get the idea.

Texrat
2010-01-07, 17:44
Awesome! Some of this can go into the whitepaper, thanks! And more please-- I will be including contributor credits.

noobmonkey
2010-01-07, 18:16
ooo sorry Tex, didnt see this post here - must have been hiding - will have a proper read through tomorrow :)

Initial thought - sounds great! :) - will comment back later after reading it all :)

Texrat
2010-01-07, 18:21
Not a lot to read yet. :D I'm hoping for contributions.

RevdKathy
2010-01-07, 18:28
Just to say I tried to add the idea of email feedback-requests to the brainstorm but I've hit the Maemo-server issue. If anyone else can get in to do it, please feel free. :)

Texrat
2010-01-14, 02:03
I can't even connect to the thing!

But FYI: I am making progress on a presentation for my first solution.

YoDude
2010-01-14, 02:55
The first idea, in particular, i like.

The others are more general and are probably covered by the first proposal in some way.

I was going to add another solution proposal of my own, and then realized that it, too is covered by the ambitious original proposed solution. I guess it could be seen as a requisite first step to the completion of the main solution.

Here's what i had started to say.

Fix what's already there

We need single login and a fixed search feature on m.o. Beyond that...

Currently, an app requires a bugtracker link to get through Extras-Testing. While this is good in theory, in practice it is not very useful to a typical user, who will not have the motivation or courage to venture into bugtracker. The most casual user will not use any feedback mechanism but one that is integral with the device itself, and for that demographic, Texrat's proposal is the best.

However, there is a large demographic not currently optimally engaged: those that actually do come to m.o to browse the forum etc. For these, an official talk thread that is also supported by a control file entry (like the bug tracker) would be useful. Obviously we'd like to see all of this integrated, but this seems like a much more practical interim step.

This has even greater potential than just a means of getting feedback: it can be an "automatic" source of documentation for maemo apps (my only feedback on the N900 from users i know personally is "I can't figure out how to use this." and they are continually amazed at how much it can do once I show them how). The maintainer can put the "manual" into the first post of the thread, and with a simple addition HAM could automatically load up the page in MicroB at the conclusion of an app installation.

Well, you get the idea.

Like the man said... fix what we have first. Enhancing broken = more broken.

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco
this ain't no fooling around
This ain't no mudd club, or C. B. G. B.
I ain't got time for that now

I just spent an excruciating 1 hour plus on http://maemo.org trying to add courtesy comments for the apps that I do use. Between the page hangs and logging-in each time after I killed it to start over, I think I maybe added 6 comments. The same thing occurred when I tried voting up apps in testing awhile ago and in fact may have double posted on one.

This is nothing new, I have been posting about this since 2007. It really is a deterrent and I have thought in the past it was by design. I can only imagine what new members think.

BTW, I have no idea any more what my log-in for Bugzilla is. That was a third log-in that was required and at the time I registered it couldn't be the same as maemo.org and maemo.org couldn't be the same as TabletTalk.

Remembering all the variations of my user name/password that I used is sort of like "Life during War Time (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_During_Wartime_(song))"

I changed my hairstyle so many times now
don't know what I look like!

:eek:

Texrat
2010-01-14, 04:06
Wait until you see my proposal YoDude. :D

Yes, log in stuff needs immediate fixing. Maybe by the time my presentation is finished that will be done. ;)

Texrat
2010-01-19, 04:35
Yikes, this presentation is taking longer than I'd thought. But the good news is that's mostly because ideas keep occurring. :)

Helmuth
2010-01-19, 11:27
Yikes, this presentation is taking longer than I'd thought. But the good news is that's mostly because ideas keep occurring. :)

I'm looking forward to see your presentation after our productive diskussion (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=40322) yesterday. I'm very curious about it. :)

synca
2010-01-19, 13:06
My 2cents, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=41288
mostly related

Texrat
2010-01-22, 04:24
Here's a teaser from the current presentation in progress (warning: large format image):

http://maemo-daemons.org/app_usage.png

Helmuth
2010-01-22, 13:56
Okay, so far. So good. :)

It's planned to integrate this in the system and the Application Manager?

So its automatically related to every with the Application Manager installed Application and the system itself manage this?

Hmm... okay. When it works, it could be a good solution to get a feedback process with tons of votes and remarks.

Don't forget. It should be easy to reach the Application related feedback manually. And it should be possible for the user to change the feedback after several weeks when the user get a other impression of the application.

There sould be several possibilitys for feedback:

a simple vote system
a enhanced feedback with remark fields

The Vote system is simple to translate and adapt to the System Language at his Users Device. So we can get easily feedback from a international group of users. Even from not english speaking people. (this group will grow with the mass market)

At a enhanced Feedback it should be the default value to write the Feedback in English and it should easily be possible to change the language to french, italian, german or something else.

It's important to indicate: Only English feedback can reach the autor from a application. (okay, with exceptions)

The workflow should store the feedback on the Database with the language informations. So, at example, on a localized italian OVI Store the italian feedback could shown first before the users can read the international, english feedback.

What about a Link to Maemo Bugzilla at the bottom of the feedback form? :D

Texrat
2010-01-22, 14:37
Good points Helmuth and, yes, the goal would be to utilize the APIs where ever it made sense, including App Man.

I do see a mistake on my diagram, in that even if the user doesn't want to provide survey feedback they should still have the option to donate (which as we know is another form of feedback). I'll fix that.