PDA

View Full Version : How to rename partitions on uSD card in FileManager?

woody14619
2010-03-06, 05:24
I have a few partitions on a uSD card that I've been able to label with mount point names in Fedora so they show up properly on the desktop when inserted with a reader. The local File Manger on the N900 though doesn't seem to honor those names when I mount the partitions.

When I first inserted the card into the N900 (and mounted the extra partitions) the File Manager showed four entires:

Icon Name
<N900> Woodys N900 (my Bluetooth name, aka MyDocs)
<N900> Nokia N900 (partition 2, ext3 fs)
<N900> Nokia N900 (2) (partition 3, ext3 fs)
<uSD> Memory Card (partition 1, fat fs)

I tried renaming one with the File Manager, and now it shows all three with the same name and a (2) or (3) appended to the last entry (like the second line above). Is there a way to make File Manager name these separately? I'd be happy with even a hard-coded fix in .config somewhere. :)

Interestingly enough, when I plug the phone into my Fedora system all four partitions show up as drives, with partition one being called "N900", and the other 3 getting their proper names. Maybe this is something we should put in as a feature request? To honor drive labeling?

pichlo
2014-03-05, 10:55
Sorry for bumping this 4 years old thread (wow, almost to the day!) but guess what? I have a similar question :)

Mine is actually simpler. I have only one data partition on my SD card (the other one being swap) and I can rename it via File Manager and when I do, the desktop can see the new label. The trouble is, when I change the label on the desktop, the N900 will still show the SD card under the old name I last set up by File Manager.

It would not be such a problem, except I want to use a dash in the name and File Manager does not let me.

So what exactly happens when one renames a memory card in Filer Manager? Is the name cached somewhere and the disk label not honoured?

michaaa62
2014-03-05, 13:22
Never tried it myself...
Did you look, and tinker, with the files in /tmp? There is .internal-mmc-volume-label and .mmc-volume-label on my N900 with just one partition on the external card, there might be more files for more than one partition.