PDA

View Full Version : Install OpenSSH

mokkihaitari
2007-05-16, 07:47
I tried to install OpenSSH (N800). First I made manouvers to enter "red pill" mode and then I tried to install OpenSSH (from maemo.org). It seems to be ok when it is downloading (the stuff is about 0,7M) but finally there is an announcement "Unable to install ssh".

If there is someone who can help me I would appreciate that:)

SeRi@lDiE
2007-05-16, 10:08
You have to do it as root from xterm...
Install the gainroot deb
and than...

sudo gainroot

apt-get install ssh

mokkihaitari
2007-05-17, 14:01
thanks! now it's working

fleet
2007-06-11, 15:46
Hello, please help me to know how to gain the root admin step by step. Thank you!

Fleet.

SeRi@lDiE
2007-06-11, 16:05
Hello, please help me to know how to gain the root admin step by step. Thank you!

Fleet.

I have responded to your PM.

mfresh
2007-06-28, 22:15
Can anyone help me get this going

I've become root, apt-get installed ssh.
I assume at this point I have to start ssh or sshd on the N800 - but what exactly do I enter? I have tried sshd and ssh (without any options.

I've then installed putty.exe on my XP machine and connected to my N800s local IP address (192.168.1.4) on port 22
Putty asks "login as:" and I type root
Putty asks for password: If I type the wrong password I immediately get "access denied", but if I type the correct password then Putty just stops and I get nothing!

I am not sure what I am meant to get in Putty, but I want to control the N800 terminal from the Putty application on the XP machine. Any advice on what I am doing wrong.

Thanks!

doctoss
2007-06-29, 01:18
I am having same problem. Cannot get into terminal wit my xp. Will not take the rootme password.

BanditRider
2007-06-29, 09:51
login as user

mfresh
2007-06-29, 10:25
Thanks for the reply - I have just tried it and this doesn't help.

My question really is this: is it enough just to run sshd? Or is there a stage or making keys first? the wiki is a bit out of date so I don;t really understand what steps are required first.

As an aside, I have got some access to the N800 from my PC using X11VNC. There is some hint on the maemo site about tips for controlling the N800 using a VNC client, but the page doesn't exist. So if anyone has a link or any tips on hopw to control the n800 using a vnc client they'd be much appreciated!

namorvx
2007-06-29, 12:41
Guys, you have to change root's and user's password in the root shell via "passwd" and "passwd user" commands. This always worked for me. As concernes VNC, you have to install VNC server. See http://mike.saunby.googlepages.com/x11vncfornokia7702
Good luck!

mfresh
2007-06-29, 13:12
Thanks for your reply.

I've changed both the root and user passwords already.

Re: VNC, the problem is not getting VNC going, it's how to control the N800 from the VNC client on a PC. On Mike's page which you have provided a link to, there's a link to how another page :
How_to_use_x11vnc_to_'drive'_the_N800_from_a_PC
Trouble is that the link is dead. I know from looking at various forums that various people have figured out ways to control the N800 efficiently, but as this link is dead, I wondered if anyone else has a copy of the contents...

namorvx
2007-06-29, 14:16
Try this: http://test.maemo.org/maemowiki/How_to_use_x11vnc_to_'drive'_the_N800_from_a_PC
On 770, hardware keys give the same symbols as F3-F8 PC keyboard keys, if I remember right. It worked also in VNC PC client.

mfresh
2007-06-29, 15:07
Brilliant. That was just what I was after. Thanks very much

iball
2007-08-19, 19:06
Has ssh suddenly "disappeared" from repository.maemo.org?
I'm unable to install it for the life of me as apt-get can't find it.
It was in repository.maemo.org, right? Tried both the mistral and bora sections and it's not there.
Even enabling red pill mode and doing an "apt-get-install ssh" isn't working.
I'm on the new Skype-enabled firmware BTW.
So, umm...anyone out there have the SSH package(s) they can throw my way or house in another repository?

Milhouse
2007-08-19, 19:43
Seems to be there...

From

http://repository.maemo.org/dists/bora/free/binary-armel/Packages

ssh can be found at

http://repository.maemo.org/pool/maemo3.2/free/binary/ssh_3.8p1-3osso7_armel.deb

Do you have

deb http://repository.maemo.org/ bora free non-free

in your /etc/apt/souces.list?

iball
2007-08-19, 20:01
Do you have

deb http://repository.maemo.org/ bora free non-free

in your /etc/apt/souces.list?

Sure do but when I enable it and refresh the apps list it errors out with the "can't stat source package list" for the Bora free list.
Thanks for the link to the .deb file though, that installed just fine.

Cwluc
2007-08-24, 02:51
I have also installed OpenSSH and and trying to make sure that it is up and running, I did not get any errors during the install, I have enabled the red pill, and when I go to connect via putty (port 22) is says connection refused on. Is there a way I can check to make sure it is running?

Milhouse
2007-08-24, 06:56
ps -efjc|grep sshd

Cwluc
2007-08-24, 11:13
ps -efjc|grep sshd

Thank You. Well it's running. Now I'm really confused. Is there something you need to do to enable communication between the tablet and the pc? I've just realized this is the first thing I've done to try and do so.

Milhouse
2007-08-25, 08:36
Try stopping and restarting sshd (/etc/init.d/ssh stop|start). Make sure you don't also have dropbear installed. Try rebooting. Enable the debug log in PuTTY to see if that sheds any more light.

Cwluc
2007-08-25, 18:22
Try stopping and restarting sshd (/etc/init.d/ssh stop|start). Make sure you don't also have dropbear installed. Try rebooting. Enable the debug log in PuTTY to see if that sheds any more light.

So lets just say I got frustrated with it not working...it was late and I wasn't thinking straight, and I thought it would be best to start over...

You know hypothetically speaking, if I were on a fresh N800 what should I do to get OpenSSH up and running?

Milhouse
2007-08-25, 19:04
Assuming you had a freshly flashed device with "repository.maemo.org bora free non-free" added to application manager, the following should be enough to get ssh server up and running:

1. Install becomeroot or enable R&D mode
2. Install xterm
3. In xterm...

sudo gainroot
apt-get update
apt-get install ssh

4. Job done.

Cwluc
2007-08-25, 20:24
Sweet!! Thank you Milhouse.