PDA

View Full Version : Moving SMS from N900 to SGS2

richwhite
2011-07-25, 09:42
My insurance company just gave me an SGS2 and i've been setting it all up, but i can't figure out how to get my text messages onto it. I have about 6000 texts on the N900 and it's pretty important that i don't lose them so it's quite urgent that i get them onto the new phone but having never used Android properly before i have no idea how to do it.
I found this http://androidadvices.com/how-to-transfer-messages-from-nokia-to-android-device/ guide on Nokia to Android conversion but i think it's just for Symbian as it hasn't produced any output file for me. So i figured as a number of people here have gonefrom N900 to SGS2 maybe someone could help me?

jo21
2011-07-25, 10:03
try nokia PC suite software to back it up to pc.

but to transfer them back u will need someone to borrow you a symbian device.

as SMS , ovi suit supports n900 sms

set the n900 on PC Suite mode.

richwhite
2011-07-25, 10:13
try nokia PC suite software to back it up to pc.

but to transfer them back u will need someone to borrow you a symbian device.

as SMS , ovi suit supports n900 sms

set the n900 on PC Suite mode.

Sorry i don't understand what you mean. Backup N900 to ovi suite, then put them onto symbian?

damnshock
2011-07-25, 12:03
Sorry i don't understand what you mean. Backup N900 to ovi suite, then put them onto symbian?

Yes. And then move it to the android phone :)

t4ure4n
2011-07-25, 12:27
Has any one actually tried to transfer SMS from N900 backup (made by Nokia OVI Suite) to any other symbian phone.

@richwhite
I wanted to copy and printout all my 7000+ SMS
In my case I saved them in excel file and then printed them.

I can help you in saving your messages that way, but you will have to figure out how to transfer them from Excel or CSV file to SGS2.

I am moving to SGS2 soon, so I appreciate you share anything useful you may find.

richwhite
2011-07-25, 12:29
Has any one actually tried to transfer SMS from N900 backup (made by Nokia OVI Suite) to any other symbian phone.

@richwhite
I wanted to copy and printout all my SMS 7000+ in my case I saved them in excel file.

I can help you in saving your messages that way, but you will have to figure out how to save them on SGS2.

I am moving to SGS2 soon, so I appreciate you share anything useful you may find.

I'm going to try the Symbian thing soon but i'm not sure it'll work - when i trialled the E7 i did the sync but it didn't have the option for SMS, i don't think they're in the same format so i'm not convinced Symbian will actually read them.

The SGS2 reads XML format apparently, so if you know how to save N900 SMS to that it should work?

t4ure4n
2011-07-25, 12:43
I'm going to try the Symbian thing soon but i'm not sure it'll work - when i trialled the E7 i did the sync but it didn't have the option for SMS, i don't think they're in the same format so i'm not convinced Symbian will actually read them.

The SGS2 reads XML format apparently, so if you know how to save N900 SMS to that it should work?

Because I have to do the same when I'll get my SGS2 next month I am willing to give it a try. (to save SMS from N900 as XML format.

Can you let me know where did you find the info about SGS2 + XML?

Do you know the datastructure / XML tags used in the XML file?
Im sure u need the XML file to have specific tags to be read by SGS2

richwhite
2011-07-25, 12:45
Because I have to do the same when I'll get my SGS2 next month I am willing to give it a try. (to save SMS from N900 as XML format.

Can you let me know where did you find the info about SGS2 + XML?

Do you know the datastructure / XML tags used in the XML file?
Im sure u need the XML file to have specific tags to be read by SGS2

Honestly i know nothing about it at all other than what i read here http://androidadvices.com/how-to-transfer-messages-from-nokia-to-android-device/
which says the converter changes Nokia SMS to XML format for Android. But based on the fact that converter didn't do anything for me i guess the N900 saves to a different format. So once my old 5800 is charged i'll try to put the N900 texts onto it and save them that way

t4ure4n
2011-07-25, 12:51
If you have managed to create an XML file, please give me structure of XML file or just send it to me so that I cam examine it.
and try to write a program to convert SMS from N900 to SGS2 friendly XML format

richwhite
2011-07-25, 13:13
If you have managed to create an XML file, please give me structure of XML file or just send it to me so that I cam examine it.
and try to write a program to convert SMS from N900 to SGS2 friendly XML format

how would i give you the structure?

t4ure4n
2011-07-25, 13:37
Open your XML file in wordpad or any other wordprocessor you use and copy The outer most tag + all the data fot alteat one outgoing and one incoming sms message
you can replace the sms text with any info for privacy but leave the dates etc so I can see what format they are in.

mr_jrt
2011-07-25, 15:40
I've been working on a N900 event importer/exporter for some time (the old csv script posted ion here loses too much info...like newlines!). The easiest way I suspect for you is to create a .nbu backup and then extract the VMG files from it. My recommendation is "nbuexplorer (http://sourceforge.net/projects/nbuexplorer/)" for doing this.

richwhite
2011-07-25, 15:47
I've been working on a N900 event importer/exporter for some time (the old csv script posted ion here loses too much info...like newlines!). The easiest way I suspect for you is to create a .nbu backup and then extract the VMG files from it. My recommendation is "nbuexplorer (http://sourceforge.net/projects/nbuexplorer/)" for doing this.

Sounds interesting, how would this work?

Edit: I've downloaded the program and opened the backup, it has all my texts. So the next question is how would i get these to the SGS2? And would it keep the conversations threaded?

richwhite
2011-07-25, 16:26
bump (10 chars )

mr_jrt
2011-07-25, 18:41
Most of the converters I've seen for other phones take the VMG files and convert them to whatever the new phone needs, in your case, XML. I'm adamant I've seen some in my travels that do just that...but can't remember for the life of me what they were.

richwhite
2011-07-26, 08:42
Most of the converters I've seen for other phones take the VMG files and convert them to whatever the new phone needs, in your case, XML. I'm adamant I've seen some in my travels that do just that...but can't remember for the life of me what they were.

I can't find anything for the life of me. Starting to wonder if i'll just have to sacrifice them all :/

mr_jrt
2011-07-26, 09:01
This (http://android.riteshsahu.com/tips/importexportmove-sms-messages-from-nokia-to-android) no good?

richwhite
2011-07-26, 09:16
This (http://android.riteshsahu.com/tips/importexportmove-sms-messages-from-nokia-to-android) no good?

Doesn't appear to be, no, seems to only do Symbian. But i even put the N900 messages onto my old 5800 and tried it that way but still no luck

afaq
2011-07-26, 09:20
Let me see if I can be of any use

Has anyone looked at exporting the database of texts and then importing them into Android?

See this thread
(http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=35060)

richwhite
2011-07-26, 09:27
Let me see if I can be of any use

Has anyone looked at exporting the database of texts and then importing them into Android?

See this thread
(http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=35060)

So in my case just backup conversations, then put that file onto the Android? Will Android read that format though?

afaq
2011-07-26, 09:44
N900 stores it in an SQL database. It will then need to be converted into a format Android reads.

I believe Android can import .xml files. So it's a task to convert SQL to XML with all the structure corrected.

Before you dig any more into - just saw this

http://vinodmishra.com/2009/09/how-to-import-smss-from-nokia-to-htc-android-devices/

This is quite long winded and not sure how realistic for the no. of mssgs you have.

richwhite
2011-07-26, 09:47
N900 stores it in an SQL database. It will then need to be converted into a format Android reads.

I believe Android can import .xml files. So it's a task to convert SQL to XML with all the structure corrected.

Before you dig any more into - just saw this

http://vinodmishra.com/2009/09/how-to-import-smss-from-nokia-to-htc-android-devices/

This is quite long winded and not sure how realistic for the no. of mssgs you have.

I already saw that page but thanks for posting it.

Is it difficult to convert SQL to XML?

t4ure4n
2011-07-26, 12:21
The messages database for N900 is located here

/home/user/.rtcom-eventlogger/el-v1.db

I have used SQLite Expert in the past to read from Events table in the database which holds calls and messages records.

I have also successfully exported the data from the table to CSV and Excel files.

I have asked in previous posts if anyone can give me the structure of target XML file I can write a program to do the conversion.

richwhite
2011-07-26, 12:29
The messages database for N900 is located here

/home/user/.rtcom-eventlogger/el-v1.db

I have used SQLite Expert in the past to read from Events table in the database which holds calls and messages records.

I have also successfully exported the data from the table to CSV and Excel files.

I have asked in previous posts if anyone can give me the structure of target XML file I can write a program to do the conversion.

I haven't a clue where to start on that, i even tried the Symbian suggestion and got nowhere.

mr_jrt
2011-07-26, 12:42
Sorry, what I meant was that you can ignore the Symbian side of it as you've already got the VMG files on the PC.

richwhite
2011-07-26, 12:54
Sorry, what I meant was that you can ignore the Symbian side of it as you've already got the VMG files on the PC.

So what would i do next?

richwhite
2011-07-26, 16:41
Anyone got any ideas?

richwhite
2011-07-27, 07:50
bump
10 chars

t4ure4n
2011-07-27, 11:24
Anyone got any ideas?

I have found some information about the Android own Backup and restore + XML file format...

Fields in the XML File:

Here is some description of the fields:

protocol – Protocol used by the message, its mostly 0 in case of SMS messages.

address – The phone number of the sender/recipient.

date – The Java date representation (including millisecond) of the time when the message was sent/received. Check out www.epochconverter.com for information on how to do the conversion from other languages to Java.

type – Sent = 2, Received = 1.

subject – Subject of the message, its always null in case of SMS messages.

body – The content of the message.

toa – n/a, default to null.

sc_toa – n/a, default to null.

service_center – The service center for the received message, null in case of sent messages.

read – Read Message = 1, Unread Message = 0.

status – None = -1, Complete = 0, Pending = 32, Failed = 64.

readable_date – Optional field that has the date in a human readable format.

contact_name – Optional field that has the name of the contact.

hope this can be helpful

richwhite
2011-07-27, 14:21
I have found some information about the Android own Backup and restore + XML file format...

Fields in the XML File:

Here is some description of the fields:

hope this can be helpful

Thanks for finding that, although it may as well be Greek to you. I know nada about codes

t4ure4n
2011-07-27, 14:37
The only thing preventing from attempting to implement and test a solution is that I currently don't have a android phone.

Even then I am going to give it a shot..

it may take little longer to get a working solution..

Will you be able to test the solution once I start putting it togather?

richwhite
2011-07-27, 15:01
The only thing preventing from attempting to implement and test a solution is that I currently don't have a android phone.

Even then I am going to give it a shot..

it may take little longer to get a working solution..

Will you be able to test the solution once I start putting it togather?

Should be able to yes, provided it's not too complicated...

mr_jrt
2011-07-27, 15:21
Well, abcnokia will convert the messages to various formats, one of which is XML. Annoyingly, the latest version seems to pre-date Android and as such the XML it spits out is just some made-up format. Nothing a simple XSL transformation can't fix though.

...guess this is a good reason to add Android XML as a export format in my tool though :)

richwhite
2011-07-27, 15:25
Well, abcnokia will convert the messages to various formats, one of which is XML. Annoyingly, the latest version seems to pre-date Android and as such the XML it spits out is just some made-up format. Nothing a simple XSL transformation can't fix though.

...guess this is a good reason to add Android XML as a export format in my tool though :)

Does abcnokia read the N900 messages though?
And is there an existing program to change the XML output to something Android with read?

mr_jrt
2011-07-27, 17:24
Does abcnokia read the N900 messages though?
And is there an existing program to change the XML output to something Android with read?

abcnokia will operate on the .vmg files you extracted from the .nbu backup using nbuexplorer.

It can save out to many formats, but XML will be the closest to what you want. A simple bit of XSL that runs across the XML to convert them to Android XML (as documented by t4ure4n above) should be easy. I don't have time to cobble that together, but it shouldn't be hard.

gruik
2011-07-27, 17:30
use pc suite:

import your sms from N900 via pc suite
export them in .csv
put the file on your SGS2
use sms importer on android market.
import your messages!

for best results import your contact before your sms (in order to have correspondance between messages and contacts)

richwhite
2011-07-28, 09:04
use pc suite:

import your sms from N900 via pc suite
export them in .csv
put the file on your SGS2
use sms importer on android market.
import your messages!

for best results import your contact before your sms (in order to have correspondance between messages and contacts)

Can the sms importer read csv though?