PDA

View Full Version : RepRap uses some 'Sailfish' firmware name?

HtheB
2013-05-26, 19:20
So I came across this:

http://reprap.org/wiki/List_of_Firmware#Sailfish

RepRap is about making self-replicating machines, and making them freely available for the benefit of everyone. We are using 3D printing to do this, but if you have other technologies that can copy themselves and that can be made freely available to all, then this is the place for you too.

Could Jolla be sued for using the sailfish os name?
seems like it's been already used....?

coderus
2013-05-26, 19:53
i think "Sailfish" word wasn't created by jolla and can be used in any other cases. (like "Windows" word, really)

HtheB
2013-05-26, 20:16
i think "Sailfish" word wasn't created by jolla and can be used in any other cases. (like "Windows" word, really)
You do realise that there are trademarks... You can't use the name if it's 'trademarked'

MartinK
2013-05-26, 20:39
You do realise that there are trademarks... You can't use the name if it's 'trademarked'
IIRC, provided it is in the same category - if you named a car like that - or a 3D printer, it should be fine. Of course, I'm not a lawyer.

BTW, looks like a simple project naming collision.

shmerl
2013-05-26, 20:40
Not everything can be trademarked.

Vaskinn
2013-06-08, 13:56
Could Jolla be sued for using the sailfish os name?

Yes.

Anyone can sue anyone, not getting thrown out of court is another matter.

seems like it's been already used....?

And if it had been used for a mobile OS, and also not been a word, they might have been able to get anywhere with this hypothetical lawsuit.

nokiabot
2013-06-08, 15:37
Bang bang bang every body bang yeah bang bang bang everybody bang someone else:p

AMD
2013-06-19, 18:42
Bang bang bang every body bang yeah bang bang bang everybody bang someone else:p
You seem to be drunk lately, sorry for going outta topic.

Mr.Pancake
2013-06-19, 18:59
Highly unlikely ._.

Leinad
2013-06-20, 06:27
I'm pretty sure, any fisher can sell "sailfish" and any carpenter can sell "windows" without being sued. :)

edit: maybe the carpenter gets a problem, when he's selling 8.1 windows these days ;)