PDA

View Full Version : [Announce][0.1-7] Filetug - file manager application for SailfishOS

Matoking
2014-02-04, 14:56
OpenRepos page:
https://openrepos.net/content/matoking/filetug

Filetug is a file manager for SailfishOS.

Features

copy, cut, delete and rename files
create directories and files
view/play audio, video, image and text files
install RPM and APK packages
browse files using either a grid or list view
...and more!

I created the application since at the time there wasn't an application that offered the features that I wanted.

Let me know what you think. :)

TMavica
2014-02-04, 14:58
can it show hidden folder?

Matoking
2014-02-04, 15:02
can it show hidden folder?
Oops, I knew something important was missing from the application. I will add it ASAP.

EDIT:
...and done! A new version should be up on OpenRepos with the option to view hidden files. :)

Watchmaker
2014-02-04, 15:52
I'm going to install this as soon as I can, but in the meantime I ask: can it send files via bluetooth?

tiempjuuh
2014-02-04, 15:56
Hehe, found a bug: You cannot go back when viewing a picture. :p

TMavica
2014-02-04, 16:00
Possible add root access ? so can read all file system.
and add a quick access to launch xterminal??

Matoking
2014-02-04, 16:10
Hehe, found a bug: You cannot go back when viewing a picture. :p
You have to click on the top-left corner of the screen in order to go back.

The reason is because in order to hide the page count/go back menu item I have to set backNavigation on the Page object to false, which unfortunately also disables the "swipe right to go back" gesture.

Schturman
2014-02-04, 19:18
Thanks, very nice file browser, but also like cargo and file-browsern can't show files with names writen RTL languages, hebrew for example.
Will be nice if you can fix it..
Thanks

EDIT: Oops, it can see. Sorry, my mistake..

Makeclick
2014-02-05, 05:36
Nice file browser!

Can you add swipe back function :) that ".." folder is not that nice

Matoking
2014-02-05, 18:39
Nice file browser!

Can you add swipe back function :) that ".." folder is not that nice
I'll try to get the gesture working in the next version if possible. :)

I'm going to install this as soon as I can, but in the meantime I ask: can it send files via bluetooth?
It is not in my priority list, sorry. I'll take an another look when I'm done with some other features I haven't implemented yet.

HtheB
2014-02-05, 18:40
please add icons...
especially folder icons for directories :(

rannari
2014-02-05, 19:01
please add icons...
especially folder icons for directories :(

Odd, I can see icons...

Great work Matoking!

Schturman
2014-02-05, 20:22
Hi
I noticed that Filetug app also have player and only this player can show the clear image, see screenshot.
http://imageshack.com/a/img836/2118/f6y7.jpg
But this player have another problems:
* too much time to load video
* not have stop/pause/play button
* can't scroll video
* you always see circle in the middle and the scroll line at the button

Can it be fixed please ?

cvp
2014-02-05, 20:25
little bug:

if you stay on /home/nemo/ and pul down the menu and take "Go home" , the app will close :) .... or is it a feature ? :D

Schturman
2014-02-05, 21:47
updated to the last version, but i still can't see the folders icons..
Also video player now show the video with green and read lines like default one and lls player. Previous version had clean image in the video, see my post above...P
PS. can you add option to disable auto screen off when video playing ?

Matoking
2014-02-06, 08:26
updated to the last version, but i still can't see the folders icons..
Also video player now show the video with green and read lines like default one and lls player. Previous version had clean image in the video, see my post above...P
PS. can you add option to disable auto screen off when video playing ?
I've added thumbnails to the video view and fixed the issue with screen turning off during playback. Those issues should be fixed in the next version.

What issue are you exactly having with video playback, could you take a screenshot? If it's limited only to certain video files then the issue is most likely with the decoder that's used, which means I can't do much about it. :(

Also, I think the issue with icons missing is most likely caused by the missing qt5-qtsvg-plugin-imageformat-svg package. If you know how to use the Terminal and package manager, try installing it and if not, wait until the next version, which should install it automatically if it's not already installed.

EDIT:
Everyone who had problems with icons not being displayed, please try installing the newest version. :)

Schturman
2014-02-06, 08:57
Look in this post: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1411211#post1411211
In your previous version it show me the clean image, and after update (0.3) it start to show like def and lls players... Why, I can't understand. Tested on the same files...

PS. now updated to 0.4 but it still not show folders icons... Installed needed package manually, now it's ok.

Matoking
2014-02-06, 10:02
Look in this post: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1411211#post1411211
In your previous version it show me the clean image, and after update (0.3) it start to show like def and lls players... Why, I can't understand. Tested on the same files...

PS. now updated to 0.4 but it still not show folders icons... Installed needed package manually, now it's ok.
Filetug currently uses the GStreamerVideoOutput element for video playback, although Jolla officially recommends using QtMultimedia's Video element instead, which in my case didn't play any video files at all.

Anyway, in this case I think the problem is with the video codecs. The video files I tried with the pre-installed video codecs played just fine. Unfortunately, I don't think there's much I can do expect wait for Jolla to improve video format compatibility. That's to be expected from a beta product, though.

Schturman
2014-02-06, 23:40
found a little bug. Option "Show as text" not work ;)
Also i updated version to open file browser as root, inserting root pass not needed anymore..
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=92613&goto=newpost

Matoking
2014-02-07, 19:51
The new version 0.1-5 is out!

The most notable change is that you can now use the "swipe right to go back" gesture in directory and file views.
I also fixed the issue with "show as text" not working.

Next on, I'll most likely focus on clearing up the clutter in the pulley menu.

Schturman
2014-02-07, 20:28
Thanks for update!
Found a little problem, when you use "show as text", on the some files it stuck the app and you can't do nothing instead killall harbour-filetug.
It happens to me on the specific file: /var/log/wpa_sapplicant.log, for now with other files all is ok..

TemeV
2014-02-08, 09:44
Great job with this one!

Pulley menus are a bit problematic though. If you want to copy a file, you have to scroll all the way up to access the pulley menu. I'd suggest making current folder name "sticky" to the top of the screen so that you can pull the menu from there. Mitakuuluu has this kind of feature and I think it is quite nice.

lorenzo
2014-02-08, 09:52
i made this icon if you like https://www.dropbox.com/s/ob4r7a66jyly396/filetug.png

TMavica
2014-02-08, 10:12
can u add a more feature that is 'Cut' ?

Matoking
2014-02-08, 10:14
Great job with this one!

Pulley menus are a bit problematic though. If you want to copy a file, you have to scroll all the way up to access the pulley menu. I'd suggest making current folder name "sticky" to the top of the screen so that you can pull the menu from there. Mitakuuluu has this kind of feature and I think it is quite nice.
I'll probably add some kind of dropdown menu which is visible when selecting files or when you have files in the clipboard. I'll have to think a bit about how to implement it.

can u add a more feature that is 'Cut' ?
I'll add it in after I'm done with the change detailed above. The pulley menu on top is cluttered enough as of now.

i made this icon if you like https://www.dropbox.com/s/ob4r7a66jyly396/filetug.png
Thanks for the icon, but I'm planning on dropping off the folder icon entirely from the application icon and replacing it with something more imaginative than a folder icon. Not a priority at the moment since I'm definitely not good at graphical design, but if anyone wants to contribute, I'd be glad to add it.

I should also note that any contributions to the application (eg. code contributions, icons, etc.) should be licensed using Unlicense or other permissive license. I can't just add someone's contribution if they don't make it clear how it's licensed. :(

EDIT:
Version 0.1-6 of the application has now been released!

The UI for file operations has been redesigned and you can now more easily flick across huge file lists.

lorenzo
2014-02-09, 13:46
Thanks for the icon, but I'm planning on dropping off the folder icon entirely from the application icon and replacing it with something more imaginative than a folder icon. Not a priority at the moment since I'm definitely not good at graphical design, but if anyone wants to contribute, I'd be glad to add it.

i can try to draw something, what type of icon are you thinking about?

Matoking
2014-02-10, 09:32
i can try to draw something, what type of icon are you thinking about?
No idea, to be honest. I dislike the folder icon since it's already used by a whole lot of other applications.

coco_f2001
2014-02-10, 10:53
Can you integrate some code from Tiny Edit in your program? Also the sftp/SMB protocols would be great. (Android ES File Explorer features)

Nice work, so far your file manager is the best on Sailfish.

Florian

Matoking
2014-02-10, 13:08
Can you integrate some code from Tiny Edit in your program? Also the sftp/SMB protocols would be great. (Android ES File Explorer features)

Nice work, so far your file manager is the best on Sailfish.

Florian
Being able to create and edit text files is one of the features I'm planning on adding somewhat soon.

FTP support isn't one of my long-term goals at the moment, but I'll keep that in mind if more people request it. :)

EDIT:
Version 0.1-7 of the application is now out. New features include a simple text editor, being able to change file permissions and the new Shortcuts page that is shown at startup.

willi6868
2014-04-24, 09:34
Would it be possible to add some share options? I am especially missing the option to share my music because there is no way to share it on Jolla - a real shame. :)

Astaoth
2015-09-21, 09:52
Hi,
Is it still under development ?

Markkyboy
2015-09-22, 20:40
Hi,
Is it still under development ?

I'm not sure if this app is still under development, but version 0.1-9 is on offer at Openrepos; https://openrepos.net/content/matoking/filetug

HtheB
2015-09-22, 22:59
Filecase is much better and more advanced imo:
https://openrepos.net/content/cepiperez/filecase-0

pichlo
2015-09-23, 05:52
Filecase is much better and more advanced imo:
https://openrepos.net/content/cepiperez/filecase-0

There are many definitions of "better". A hammer is better for driving nails in the wood or smashing bricks but rubbish for painting them. And wice-versa for a paint brush.

Filetug is excellent for navigating to a folder with MP3 files and saying, "play this"! Thanks to Filetug, I could finally give Jolla's "Media" app a bye-bye. Yey! :D