maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   [M5] [Announce] Qalendar -- a replacement for the default calendar (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90820)

TomJ 2013-10-04 22:27

Re: [Announce][Fremantle] Qalendar 0.7 -- a clone of the default calendar

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulle (Post 1377186)

- A search or filter function for events. Given one mistakes date/year in a new event, its hard to find it again (having lots of events)

Ulle

Not an ideal solution, but you can search the calendar (as well as your contacts and conversations) using Scout.

foobar 2013-10-05 22:13

Re: [Announce][Fremantle] Qalendar 0.7.1 -- a clone of the default calendar

'Type to search' like in Contacts, Email, ... would be nice. The original Calendar shows the dialog for a new event if you type in e.g. the month view.

Ulle 2013-10-06 12:04

Thank you gidzz for addressing my suggestions (rather wishes).

Quote:

Originally Posted by gidzzz (Post 1378650)
If that's just for recurrences, the proper solution would be to extend the recurrence editor (it still does not expose all the features of the underlying calendar engine).

Having it in recurrence editor might be too complex for such a simple step. I thought of a button "Clone event" or "Copy event" in titlebar menu in edit mode. But when editing an event there is no titlebar. So preferably having the button just when showing an event (next to "Edit event"). Then directly having the new event open in editing mode with maybe a prefix in title field like "Copy of: originaltitle".

Quote:

Sure sounds useful, but I don't think it's possible to reliably recognize a phone number. I am not very happy to see the SMS app highlighting every 3-digit-or-more number like it's a phone number, but a quick toggle button in the titlebar menu should solve it. So, yes, I think it's a good idea.

I'd be more than happy with the some-digits-highlighting.
Hope that recognizing/linking websites is easier.

Quote:

Qalendar 0.7.1 shows recently edited notes first

I got the automatical update and installed 0.7.1-1 . But no change in notes order :( . Do I miss something? Settings?

Anyway, now I got your little finger, I go for the whole hand ;) : What about having the location field of an event linked to installed nokia ovi maps?
I searched a while to find this useful thread "Using Nokia Maps with dbus": http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=66221 .

This needs some more peaces of Pizza, of course! :)

gidzzz 2013-10-07 17:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulle (Post 1378937)
I got the automatical update and installed 0.7.1-1 . But no change in notes order :( . Do I miss something? Settings?

If you use Qalendar in replacement mode (--background), remember to "killall qalendar" after installing an update. For the next time I'll try to gracefully (i.e. when it is not used) restart the application from post-install script.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulle (Post 1378937)
What about having the location field of an event linked to installed nokia ovi maps?

Sounds good and shouldn't require much work after links and phone numbers are implemented.

Ulle 2013-10-07 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by gidzzz (Post 1379198)
If you use Qalendar in replacement mode (--background), remember to "killall qalendar" after installing an update. For the next time I'll try to gracefully (i.e. when it is not used) restart the application from post-install script.

Thanks for the hint! I just noted that it is in right order now without the killall comand. Ran out of battery yesterday accidently - what equals to a reboot ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by gidzzz (Post 1379198)
Sounds good and shouldn't require much work after links and phone numbers are implemented.

Would be awesome, really!
I had a short check with dbus-monitor whats going on when calling Nokia maps from addressbook. The address is separated into several peaces like zipcode and house number etc for getting long/lat . Easy, when having it in separate fields as in abook. But might be hard to split when it is all in one string. Hopefully Nokia/AddressToLocation accepts such localized address oneliners like google maps (api).

foobar 2013-10-10 13:10

Re: [Announce][Fremantle] Qalendar 0.7.1 -- a clone of the default calendar

In the list of calendars, the UI-visible strings are somewhat off.
E.g. I see 'cal_ti_calendar_private' + 'DEFAULT_PRIVATE' for the private calendar, and 'N900' + 'DEFAULT_SYNC' for the default calendar. It looks similar for the birthday calendar.

And a question: Do you plan to support the missing stuff re: birthday calendar?

Thanks for a great app!

gidzzz 2013-10-17 03:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulle (Post 1379204)
I had a short check with dbus-monitor whats going on when calling Nokia maps from addressbook. The address is separated into several peaces like zipcode and house number etc for getting long/lat . Easy, when having it in separate fields as in abook. But might be hard to split when it is all in one string. Hopefully Nokia/AddressToLocation accepts such localized address oneliners like google maps (api).

I forgot that the address in contacts is split between so many fields. :( Although not impossible to do, accurate parsing of the location field would require strict formatting from the user or possibly a lot of effort to get the heuristics right.

I have also found another problem: AddressToLocations is not good at finding things (tested with the address book). It is unable to correctly find some places, even though the search box in the maps application does so flawlessly. With those problems combined, I'm afraid this feature would be pretty unreliable.

Perhaps all of that could be solved by using some web API, but I don't want to add too much bloat. Someday I may write a separate D-Bus service to handle those lookups for Qalendar (or check if something like that already exists).

Quote:

Originally Posted by foobar (Post 1379809)
In the list of calendars, the UI-visible strings are somewhat off.
E.g. I see 'cal_ti_calendar_private' + 'DEFAULT_PRIVATE' for the private calendar, and 'N900' + 'DEFAULT_SYNC' for the default calendar.

Looks like "cal_ti_calendar_private" is a string for translation. For some reason I had just plain "Private" there, but after deleting the database, it has indeed been recreated with "cal_ti_calendar_private". Thanks for noticing that.

"DEFAULT_PRIVATE" and friends are there for my convenience, and will eventually be replaced with something prettier.

Quote:

It looks similar for the birthday calendar.

Do you mean there's something like "cal_ti_calendar_birthday" (I do not have this one), or just "BIRTHDAY_CALENDAR"?

Quote:

And a question: Do you plan to support the missing stuff re: birthday calendar?

Yes, I want to provide a complete replacement. But for today, there's only Qalendar 0.7.2:
  • Email addresses, phone numbers and web links in task/event details can be clickable.
  • Added clone action for events and tasks.
  • Invisible calendars in the calendar picker are grouped together and dimmed.
  • Each update after this one will not require Qalenar in background mode to be restarted manually.
  • New translation: German by deryo and tempura.san.

nodevel 2013-10-17 09:24

Re: [Announce][Fremantle] Qalendar 0.7.2 -- a clone of the default calendar

Thank you for this update and for the app altogether.

It is almost perfect, but one thing keeps me from using it instead of the default calendar. It's the lack of animation on changing months in the default view. I know this has been discussed before and I know your opinion on this one, but could you at least make it optional?
I'm not an 'eye-candy' kind of guy, but this animation gives me some visual feedback and without it I'm never sure which month I'm in (previous one, next one, current one)...

foobar 2013-10-17 11:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by gidzzz (Post 1381013)
Do you mean there's something like "cal_ti_calendar_birthday" (I do not have this one), or just "BIRTHDAY_CALENDAR"?

There is 'cal_ti_smart_birthdays' + 'BITHDAY_CALENDAR'.

Thanks for the update!

TomJ 2013-10-18 09:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by gidzzz (Post 1381013)
Yes, I want to provide a complete replacement. But for today, there's only Qalendar 0.7.2:
  • Email addresses, phone numbers and web links in task/event details can be clickable.

How doed this work? Do you need to annotate the numers somehow?

Ulle 2013-10-18 09:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomJ (Post 1381192)
How doed this work? Do you need to annotate the numers somehow?

Clickable weblinks and (phone)numbers have to be activated in upper menu (button "automatic links") while a single event is open.

There is also a button for the cool new feature "Clone event".
Thankyouthankyouthankyou gidzzz!

deryo 2013-10-28 11:10

Qalendar crashes/closes when Syncing one of the calendars with Exchange Active Sync

Hi.

I just noticed that sometimes qalendar closes or crashes (don't know how to see the difference) the exact moment my by Exchange Active Sync synchronized calendar synchronized.

It happend while qualendar was in foreground when the sync started and again when sync ended (I reopened qualendar in between). Another time it happened, when qualendar was running but viewable in the - how do you call that - list of running applications?

I use qualendar configured as replacement for the stock calendar.

If I can generate a more detailed log of what happens, I'm willing to help. I probably could offer an EAS account for testing.

DerYo-->

sixwheeledbeast 2013-10-28 17:39

Re: Qalendar crashes/closes when Syncing one of the calendars with Exchange Active Sync

Quote:

Originally Posted by deryo (Post 1382887)
I just noticed that sometimes qalendar closes or crashes

It's not this is it?

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...2&postcount=15

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90942

xray256 2013-10-31 18:09

1 Attachment(s)
Hi.

First of all thanks for this great piece of software! Qalendar has replaced the stock calendar on my device.

I have noticed that qalendar doesn't behave exactly the same with the Calendar Home Widget (cal-home-widget) as the stock calendar does.

I use the widget to open the calendar window a lot. When I tap on it, I expect it to open the configured view (weekly, monthly, agenda) and jump to the current day within that view. Qalendar opens the correct view but the selected date is kept from when you last closed or left the calendar window.

So for example, I tap on the widget to open the weekly view. Look around changing weeks and then close the window. Next time when I tap on the widget I want to see the current week and not the week when I last closed the calendar.

I've created a patch that fixes this and hope that it will make it into the next version.

Cheers

whayong 2013-11-03 19:52

Thank you for Qcalendar! Just installed. It will replace my stock calendar as soon as I get used to the first day of the week setting. I have gotten so used to using Sunday as the first day of the week that visually, the month view looks wrong, haha.

Wikiwide 2013-11-04 11:21

Quick message...
Qalendar 0.7.2-1. First, when going from Day-Events view to One-Event view, a white rectangle flashes on the screen - distracting. Second, when I created a new-local calendar and attempted to move an event from an old-local calendar to the new-local calendar, the event simply disappeared. And didn't reappear after reboot. Third, the new-local calendar became SYNC_CALENDAR, for unknown reason.
Overall, congratulations on clone-event functionality.
I would suggest over-complicating "where" field by addition of checkmark "map-readable". Then, when you are viewing the event, the address could be used as button-link to start map application with this address. Theoretically, calendar-alarm dialog-window could be extended by button to open route-navigation application to the address.
Best wishes. Thank you.

gidzzz 2013-11-06 00:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodevel (Post 1381036)
It is almost perfect, but one thing keeps me from using it instead of the default calendar. It's the lack of animation on changing months in the default view. I know this has been discussed before and I know your opinion on this one, but could you at least make it optional?

I remember about that, it's almost certain that there will be some kind of animation (or some other form of feedback, albeit I can't think of anything better), but I'd rather avoid overcomplicating things with animation until they are working and tested.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deryo (Post 1382887)
I just noticed that sometimes qalendar closes or crashes (don't know how to see the difference) the exact moment my by Exchange Active Sync synchronized calendar synchronized.

It happend while qualendar was in foreground when the sync started and again when sync ended (I reopened qualendar in between). Another time it happened, when qualendar was running but viewable in the - how do you call that - list of running applications?

If I can generate a more detailed log of what happens, I'm willing to help. I probably could offer an EAS account for testing.

If you don't use the --background switch (or have a typo in it), Qalendar will be terminated after two minutes (what sixwheeledbeast mentioned). If that's not the case and it really crashes, I might be able to fix it with just a backtrace. An example way to obtain it:
1. Install qalendar-dbg (might be not visible in HAM, use FAM or apt if so).
2. Edit "/usr/share/dbus-1/services/com.nokia.calendar.service" so that it contains an invalid executable (e.g. "Exec=/usr/bin/qalendarxxx --background"). This is to prevent Qalendar from being automatically restarted.
3. Open terminal and kill Qalendar ("killall qalendar").
4. Execute "gdb qalendar".
5. In gdb console enter "run --background".
6. Crash Qalendar.
7. When it hangs, return to the terminal with gdb and type "bt full".
8. Send me the output of the command from the previous point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xray256 (Post 1383604)
I've created a patch that fixes this and hope that it will make it into the next version.

If you mean a fix -- it is there. If the patch itself -- it missed a few things (you can see my take on it here: https://gitorious.org/qalendar/qalen...d977d057c2eb8d).

Quote:

Originally Posted by whayong (Post 1384165)
Thank you for Qcalendar! Just installed. It will replace my stock calendar as soon as I get used to the first day of the week setting. I have gotten so used to using Sunday as the first day of the week that visually, the month view looks wrong, haha.

I think in a few releases you should be able to configure the first day to your liking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikiwide (Post 1384273)
First, when going from Day-Events view to One-Event view, a white rectangle flashes on the screen - distracting.

I don't know why it happens, but I know that it can randomly appear in some other Qt apps too.

Quote:

Second, when I created a new-local calendar and attempted to move an event from an old-local calendar to the new-local calendar, the event simply disappeared. And didn't reappear after reboot. Third, the new-local calendar became SYNC_CALENDAR, for unknown reason.

Failure when moving -- confirmed and fixed. Changing calendar type -- I can neither reproduce that nor see in Qalendar's source how that is possible.

Quote:

I would suggest over-complicating "where" field by addition of checkmark "map-readable". Then, when you are viewing the event, the address could be used as button-link to start map application with this address.

Unfortunately it does not solve the problems which I explained in my previous post and the there's no place to save arbitrary checkboxes in the calendar database.

Quote:

Theoretically, calendar-alarm dialog-window could be extended by button to open route-navigation application to the address.

The dialog which appears when an alarm rings is not part of Qalendar.

I have uploaded an update, Qalendar 0.8. With the possibility to import calendars from ICS files, it is yet another step closer to become a complete replacement for Calendar. There a few other changes too, most notably a fix for the data loss situation reported by Wikiwide, so I recommend to update immediately.
  • Implemented importing of calendars through mime_open.
  • Handle date change requests in launch_view.
  • Error handling improvements in the calendar editor.
  • Hide unnecessary buttons and change the title of the calendar editor when creating a new calendar.
  • Translate special calendar names.
  • Fixed disappearing components when moving them between calendars.
  • Updated translations.

Just like with Calendar, to import a calendar, open it in a file browser.

xray256 2013-11-16 16:14

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by gidzzz (Post 1384582)
If you mean a fix -- it is there. If the patch itself -- it missed a few things (you can see my take on it here: https://gitorious.org/qalendar/qalen...d977d057c2eb8d).

No objections at all. It provides the same functionality and it's pretty similar anyway. Thanks for including this feature.

I've noticed another small thing that annoys me from time to time. Having used the stock calendar application for a couple of years, I find myself using long taps to access the context menu in event/task view to edit or delete events/tasks occasionally. This does not currently work in Qalendar. A few changes (see attached patch) add this functionality.

BTW, I would actually prefer the longer menu texts (e.g. "Edit event") my patch implements than the original short text (e.g. "Edit") because I find context menus already fiddly enough and selecting bigger entries easier.

Cheers and thanks for the latest update!

pierrem 2013-12-30 21:34

Re: [Announce][Fremantle] Qalendar 0.8 -- a clone of the default calendar

@gidzzz: I've just tried to import a ics file by opening it with microb, but it only pops up qalendar and nothing happens.
Someone else experienced issues with ics import ?

NB: in order for mime_open magic to happen, I had to reinstall calendar and therefore to edit /usr/share/dbus-1/services/com.nokia.calendar.service to replace /usr/bin/Calendar by /usr/bin/qalendar, since Calendar reinstall overwrote my first modification of this file

TomJ 2014-02-18 00:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierrem (Post 1402260)
@gidzzz: I've just tried to import a ics file by opening it with microb, but it only pops up qalendar and nothing happens.
Someone else experienced issues with ics import ?

NB: in order for mime_open magic to happen, I had to reinstall calendar and therefore to edit /usr/share/dbus-1/services/com.nokia.calendar.service to replace /usr/bin/Calendar by /usr/bin/qalendar, since Calendar reinstall overwrote my first modification of this file

I'm afraid the calendar reinstall hasn't worked for me; MicroB doesn't even give me the option to open, just to save. Tapping the file in file manager opens Qalendar, but no file open dialogue.

gidzzz 2014-02-20 11:08

pierrem, TomJ: it sounds like the --background switch after the name of the executable is missing (http://wiki.maemo.org/Qalendar#How_to_replace).

foobar 2014-03-21 09:50

What would you (everyone) think of buttons that let you select a specific timezone for an event date/time?

When I'm in a different timezone than the place for which I enter an event, the time (and possibly the date) gets screwed up (adjusted by the offset I travel along) when I move between timezones.

I understand that this is not a trivial thing to do, but maybe someone has a good idea how to do that?

Another option might be not to adjust event times by timezone offsets.

What do you all think?

TomJ 2014-03-22 08:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by foobar (Post 1417939)
What would you (everyone) think of buttons that let you select a specific timezone for an event date/time?

When I'm in a different timezone than the place for which I enter an event, the time (and possibly the date) gets screwed up (adjusted by the offset I travel along) when I move between timezones.

I understand that this is not a trivial thing to do, but maybe someone has a good idea how to do that?

Another option might be not to adjust event times by timezone offsets.

What do you all think?

In screen real-estate terms, not a problem; bothe the date and time buttons in the edit event dialogue have right hand padding that could be reduced to incorporate a time zone button. That would default to "Local (GMT+x)" and pressing it could give options of GMT+whatever (remembering to include the various half hour and two 45 minute offsets). How hard this would be to code, I don't know.

peterleinchen 2014-03-22 12:20

I would like such option, but am afraid that might break the (not so stable) sync with other calendars? This would be a no-go.

marmistrz 2014-03-22 17:21

Feature request: set an alarm on arbitrary day at arbitrary time. E.g. I set up the event for 22 Apr (whole day), and the alarm is 17 Apr at 17:20. It would be easier than setting up days and hours before.

pichlo 2014-03-22 20:36

Similar to the above, an option to have multiple alarms for the same evnt.

A used case: someone's birthday coming up. An alarm goes off a week beforehand. I tick it off an immediately forget it. Having another reminder 3 days before and another one 1 day and finally one on the day would be nice.

TomJ 2014-03-23 09:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterleinchen (Post 1418046)
I would like such option, but am afraid that might break the (not so stable) sync with other calendars? This would be a no-go.

It shouldn't change the way the entry is stored in the Calendar database - Qalendar is using the same backend as the stock Calendar which I imagine stores all times as GMT. <fx: pause to check spec> All times are stored as UTC in Unix Time Format, so I guessed well. It would just be for ease and accuracy of entering the correct time given in another time zone, without having to change the system timezone.

The entry should still be displayed in device local time, as it would be confusing in the day view otherwise, perhaps with a note added to the description field giving the times for the timezone it was entered in.

gidzzz 2014-04-20 15:30

Re: [Announce][Fremantle] Qalendar 0.9 -- a clone of the default calendar

Qalendar 0.9 is out. With support for birthday calendar and configurable first day of week, I think it can finally be considered a full replacement for the stock calendar. The changelog:
  • Support for birthday calendar.
  • Support for editing birthday alarms.
  • Handle D-Bus requests to display birthday events.
  • Append person's age to birthday events.
  • Added options to change the first day of week for viewing and recurrence calculations.
  • Unified alarm picker for all types of entries.
  • Added context menu to event/task window and clone option to relevant context menus.
  • Ability to clear default (irremovable) calendars.
  • Prevent scrolling to the top when reloading various lists.
  • Configurable date formats.
  • Updated translations.

The idea with timezones seems reasonable. As TomJ already mentioned, Time in the calendar database is stored in UTC, and there is even a field for timezone, so it shouldn't require any hacks (hopefully, the API has a good number of peculiarities).

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1418101)
an option to have multiple alarms for the same evnt

The backend does not support multiple alarms for one event, so implementing this might require a substantial amount of effort and possibly cause problems with backward compatibility. I don't think I will be attempting this in the near future.

TomJ 2014-04-25 08:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by gidzzz (Post 1422069)
Qalendar 0.9 is out. With support for birthday calendar and configurable first day of week, I think it can finally be considered a full replacement for the stock calendar.

When I try to launch the latest thumb version frim the stock calendar icon or from a widget it starts up and closes in less than a second. Using the Qalendar icon, it stays running, If I remove --background from the dbus call file, it works as expected but this reintroduces the unable to load ics file issue discussed upthread. With the --backgound switch reintroduced, tapping an ics file in the file manager opens the select calendar dialogue, but this too shuts before you can do anything with it.

sixwheeledbeast 2014-04-25 13:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomJ (Post 1422699)
When I try to launch the latest thumb version frim the stock calendar icon or from a widget it starts up and closes in less than a second. Using the Qalendar icon, it stays running, If I remove --background from the dbus call file, it works as expected but this reintroduces the unable to load ics file issue discussed upthread. With the --backgound switch reintroduced, tapping an ics file in the file manager opens the select calendar dialogue, but this too shuts before you can do anything with it.

I guess you still need to "killall qalendar" after upgrading, if you use the --background method.
TBH I have gotten into the habit of rebooting if I update Qalendar.
No issues to report here on non-thumb BTW

TomJ 2014-04-25 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast (Post 1422732)
I guess you still need to "killall qalendar" after upgrading, if you use the --background method.

Re-edit --background into the relevant file. New Xterm and:

Code:

~ $ root
Nokia-N900:~# killall qalendar
killall: qalendar: no process killed

Try to launch from Desktop Calendar widget - qalendar closes ere even a second has passed.

CSSU Version 21.2011.38-1Tmsemo9.1+thumb0
Kernel 2.6.28.10-power52

nokiabot 2014-04-25 20:28

Re: [Announce][Fremantle] Qalendar -- a replacement for the default calendar

How to add indian holidays to calander ? Maybe it will be good if has holidays by default :)

TomJ 2014-04-25 20:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by nokiabot (Post 1422772)
How to add indian holidays to calander ? Maybe it will be good if has holidays by default :)

Read the first wikipage linked to in my sig; the mozilla page linked to therein has Indian holidays. If the download dialogue doesn't give you the option of opening with calendar (which still doesn't seem to happen with qalendar for me), save the file, then open it from File Manager, and follow the remaining wiki instructions.

gidzzz 2014-04-26 13:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomJ (Post 1422699)

You may be able to get some output from Qalendar by killing the instance in the background and quickly starting a new one from the terminal, before D-Bus beats you to it (but from your other post it looks like Qalendar was crashing too much and it already gave up).
Code:

killall qalendar; qalendar --background
My guess is that it has something to do with birthday calendar. Do you have one, and if so, can you delete it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast (Post 1422732)

Upgrade from 0.7.1 was the last one which required manual restart. Since then automatic restart should occur immediately after upgrading or after closing Qalendar window if it is open.

TomJ 2014-04-26 19:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by gidzzz (Post 1422895)

My guess is that it has something to do with birthday calendar. Do you have one, and if so, can you delete it?

Yes and yes. Qalendar starts fine from stock calendar icon. Restore backed up birthday calendar, problems resume.

gidzzz 2014-04-30 22:49

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TomJ (Post 1422925)
Restore backed up birthday calendar, problems resume.

What happens if you create a fresh birthday calendar using Qalendar instead of restoring the old one?

I have reviewed the code for managing birthdays, but I still have no idea what is causing the crash. In order to attemp fixing it, I am going to need at least one of theese:
  • A way to reproduce the crash. You would have to investigate on your own to pin down the entry in the address book responsible for it (assuming that one contact or a certain group of contacts is causing this; there may be other possible scenarios). Or, if you do not mind sending me your whole calendar, I could try your "/home/user/.calendar/calendardb" on my phone (but that has a chance to be useful only if Qalendar crashes exclusively on the calendar created by the stock application).
  • A backtrace. If you do not know how to get one, this post has some hints: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...2&postcount=97.
  • Output from the attached version of Qalendar started in background mode (see my previous post) and a few other versions that I am going to post after receiving the output from you.

The first option would be the best, but other may also suffice,

sHaggY_caT 2014-04-30 22:56

gidzzz, thank you very much, it works. Can I ask about feature request?

Can you remove set time of tasks, or add feature to don't set time of task?
Please don't broken sync with sync evolution, if you add this feature in new release.

TomJ 2014-05-01 15:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by gidzzz (Post 1423571)
What happens if you create a fresh birthday calendar using Qalendar instead of restoring the old one?

I opened Qalendar using it's own icon and deleted the B'day calendar. Closed it and reopened using the Calendar icon, which has the qalendar --background switch enabled. Created a new birthday calendar, and Qalendar crashed immediately Reopened Qalendar using its own icon and couldn't see any b'day entries. Went into settings-edit calendars and saw the new b'day calendar had no entries. Deleted it and tried re-creating; still no entries.

Quote:

I have reviewed the code for managing birthdays, but I still have no idea what is causing the crash. In order to attemp fixing it, I am going to need at least one of theese:
  • A way to reproduce the crash. You would have to investigate on your own to pin down the entry in the address book responsible for it (assuming that one contact or a certain group of contacts is causing this; there may be other possible scenarios). Or, if you do not mind sending me your whole calendar, I could try your "/home/user/.calendar/calendardb" on my phone (but that has a chance to be useful only if Qalendar crashes exclusively on the calendar created by the stock application).
  • A backtrace. If you do not know how to get one, this post has some hints: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...2&postcount=97.
  • Output from the attached version of Qalendar started in background mode (see my previous post) and a few other versions that I am going to post after receiving the output from you.

The first option would be the best, but other may also suffice,
Unless I'm being daft, PMs don't allow files to be attached. PM me your email address and I'll send you the calendardb.

gidzzz 2014-05-01 19:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by sHaggY_caT (Post 1423573)
Can you remove set time of tasks, or add feature to don't set time of task?
Please don't broken sync with sync evolution, if you add this feature in new release.

It has been discussed a bit in this thread before. The backend does not support tasks with undefined date, so the closest you can get is to set it to year 2038. It would be possible to display such tasks in Qalendar in a special way, but this is nonstandard and other applications may interpret it differently.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomJ (Post 1423696)
PM me your email address and I'll send you the calendardb.

Considering that Qalendar crashes regardless of which application initializes the birthday calendar, I do not think this file will allow me to easily reproduce the crash, but there still may be some hints hidden in birthday events created by the stock calendar. I sent you my address.

gidzzz 2014-05-18 13:31

TomJ, I went through your birthdays, but there was nothing out of ordinary. I even added over 150 contacts to my address book to check if it has anything to do with numbers, but Qalendar did not crash, so I still do not have enough info to fix that bug.

I was hoping to quickly track that bug down and release a fix + updated translations, but under these circumstances I decided to not wait and release Qalendar 0.9.1 now (just uploaded it to the autobuilder), which is only about translations.