Active Topics

I've connected N810 headphone out to my C&C Box+ headphone amp which is connected to my Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 Ohm. Sound quality improves drastically, and hiss is gone. very happy =). Note: volume on max is usually equivalent to a line out (on some players yes, some no).

edit: just tested with JBL Reference 410. Hiss reduced drastically as well, more punchy. I will try Crossroads MylarOne X3, JVC HA FX66 later on (sleepy).

An amp might help if you dislike the hiss. Not sure if all amps will do so though. For reference, I have a C&C Box+ headphone amp upgraded with an LTC6241HV op amp.

Last edited by hangster; 2008-03-10 at 08:23.

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ New York,NY
Ok this thread is perfectly timed for what I am going through right now. I recently went from the Weston UM1 earphones (probably the best all around earphone for $100) to the fantastic Westone UM2 (pricey but worth it)
# Sensitivity: 119 dB/mW
# Frequency response: 20 Hz -18 kHz
# Impedance: 27 ohms
# Driver: Dual balanced armatures with a passive crossover

Anywho, I placed a bunch of FLAC files on my n810 and listened to a variety of albums the past week. Everything from Radiohead, Classical Music, Beatles, Primus , etc. Even with a lossless codec and audiophile grade earphones, the n810 always lacked low end and overall clarity of sound. I have done numerous comparisons between output from n810, ipod, ipod shuffle, and direct from pc. The ipod shuffle even sounds fuller than the n810. I am likely going to pick up a zune for my music needs since I can convert FLAC to WMA lossless easy enough and I hate apple, but that is a different thread all together.

So, I am devoid of any super technical data like most of you on this thread, but I do have some solid "ear time" with high quality earphones and the n810 and it doesn't seem like the ideal choice. Moreover, lossless audio libraries start piling on the gb's real quick and a larger hdd bases player would probably be a better choice.

PS- Anyone own a Zune 2 80gb and have some feedback? e.g. sound quality, usage, etc.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
I don't know if this is responsive, but I'm sure impressed with OGG files on my tiny iAudio U3. (I'm using Shure E2c earphones, pretty high end but not the best.) The iAudio units also handle FLAC. The UI is rudimentary but everyone seems to regard their sound very highly.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
scan thru the 1st 40 posts and get interested. The last thing I read was Shure e2c is the recommended one. I looked it up, it costs $125 from newegg.com! I want something better but do not want to pay that price (its like half of a N800!). Is anything like $50 price range and "sounded" better than the Nokia one? Just for you to help me, this is what I meant better. I compared the Nokia ear plug with the ipod, (just yanked it out from my kid for a test ), the ipod sound has much more frequency and crispier. Please stop arguing that the ipod is a piece of $hit, the ipod ear plug sounded good to me. Can someone recommend something in that level? So, any suggestions, please? TIA,

Edit: Cant help but stir it up more....I routinely switched the original packaged ear plug with the ipod ear plugs just to test things out. I found the ipod ear plug has much better frequency response and crispier than most comealong packaged ear plugs. This included Dell Axim, eeePC, most mp3 player I played with, some HP small footprint notebooks, the Nokias tablets (770, N800 and N810). I supposed the average consumers like the ipod because they packaged the ipod with a slightly above average ear plug. So, even the ipod is a piece of $hit, because of the earplugs it 'sounded' a lot better. Has anybody tested the ipod earplugs and would like to shed some light on this?

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-03-12 at 15:34.

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
scan thru the 1st 40 posts and get interested. The last thing I read was Shure e2c is the recommended one. I looked it up, it costs $125 from newegg.com! I want something better but do not want to pay that price (its like half of a N800!). Is anything like $50 price range and "sounded" better than the Nokia one? Just for you to help me, this is what I meant better. I compared the Nokia ear plug with the ipod, (just yanked it out from my kid for a test ), the ipod sound has much more frequency and crispier. Please stop arguing that the ipod is a piece of $hit, the ipod ear plug sounded good to me. Can someone recommend something in that level? So, any suggestions, please? TIA,

bun
Bun,

The e2c model is already discontinued, but you can still find "new old stock" in eBay with about $50-$60. (That's where I got mine few months back.)

The Following User Says Thank You to Mara For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
Bun,

The e2c model is already discontinued, but you can still find "new old stock" in eBay with about $50-$60. (That's where I got mine few months back.)
Mara, You are fantastic for the quick response and your post is exactly what I referred to (i didnt quote you as I was not sure). I will try to get a pair from ebay, thanks.

bun

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ New York,NY
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
Bun,

I would have to recommend the Westone Um1 over the shure e2c. For a couple more dollars ($100 anywhere online) you can get these fantastic earphones. Not only are these earphones unanimously voted above the e2c for sound quality, they have a comfort level that far surpasses the shures. In addition, the comfort fit foam tips on the UM1 block out up to 40db of sound and allow for great sound immersion. I think Westone is one of the best kept secrets of quality earphones. They have editors choice awards from numerous audiophile websites. And to top it all off, Westone is made in the USA.