Active Topics

Sorry for being a nuisance, but programming is a learning experience.

And sometimes I get stuck and need help

So my current dilemma is as follows:

I'm trying to write a (Python) application that logs battery level and I need to catch the dbus signal for when the charger is plugged in / unplugged.

The problem is, I have absolutely no idea how to do this. I've been reading up on dbus, including this manual:

http://maemo.org/maemo_training_mate...m_Development/

But the problem is, although I understand it a little tiny bit, there doesn't seem to be a system dbus reference showing what signals are broadcast by the system (at least I couldn't find any such documentation).

So I was wondering if any of you knew of such a document, or if there isn't any such thing, telling me what python dbus code is needed to "catch" such information.

Well, I have another question, too (sorry!).

I'm able to get the current charge on the battery by using a simple program by Matan (which polls retu) but it isn't enough information. I also really need to know what the current draw on the battery is. So yesterday, on #maemo, Stskeeps and qwerty12 kindly pointed me in the direction of an application called Field Test Display (ftd) which shows this information, but I need to get this data via a CLI so I can document it. So if ftd gets it, then it must be accessible via the terminal somehow? At least I hope...

Any help on either of these issues is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by BrentDC; 2009-01-15 at 19:50.

Posts: 462 | Thanked: 550 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Moscow
Well... See Advanced Power source (advanced_power_monitor, in fact), there I catch those bme's signals.

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Belgium
You can use dbus-monitor in your terminal to show the dbus messages that are being sent on the dbus pipes. As it will show all dbus messages, I would suggest that you closes all applications you don't need in order to only get dbus messsages that you're interested in.

Looking for beta testers for a price comparison engine:
http://www.shoptimate.com

Posts: 462 | Thanked: 550 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Moscow
Originally Posted by BrentDC View Post
But the problem is, although I understand it a little tiny bit, there doesn't seem to be a system dbus reference showing what signals are broadcast by the system (at least I couldn't find any such documentation).
Originally Posted by inoshishi View Post
You can use dbus-monitor in your terminal to show the dbus messages that are being sent on the dbus pipes. As it will show all dbus messages, I would suggest that you closes all applications you don't need in order to only get dbus messsages that you're interested in.
The only thing needed is
Code:
dbus-monitor --system
And there are more interesting options

Thanks guys. This morning, just before I read your post inoshishi, I discovered dbus-monitor: wow, cool stuff. I successfully captured battery_plugged_in and battery_unplugged events. Now to figure out how to use the data!

@412b:
I've been using your Advanced Battery applet source a lot to help with things along the way (I even have the .1 release source saved ), but I couldn't figure out how exactly you interacted with dbus...I think I need to read up on dbus a lot more.

My program is coming along nicely though. It's up to the point where it prints out the average of the last 10 retu readings and converts it to a xx.x% number. The main framework is in place so that I can add things like deletion of rogue readings, a current_draw correction algorithm (if I can get the current draw somehow ), etc. Hopefully this will be the most accurate battery reading around!