Originally Posted by shapeshifter View Post
I don't know about Android or iPhone docs, but I must say I find the Qt API to be absolutely brilliant. Everything is there, it's detailed, it contains loads of how-tos, the introductions are very comprehensible.
The maemo APIs, concerncing stuff like connectivity are a bit scattered, and one needs to search for a bit, but in general I don't see much of an issue. Could be worse. Really, the scattering is a problem, but I don't really see a lack.
Could you point us a the docs you consider to be brilliant - while I could find docs on general Qt programming - the Maemo components were lacking or non existent when I searched
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
Could you point us a the docs you consider to be brilliant - while I could find docs on general Qt programming - the Maemo components were lacking or non existent when I searched
For most of the things you can use the plain Qt documentation and API. Changes around maemo are documented here.

Daniel

Posts: 486 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New York City
Originally Posted by danielwilms View Post
For most of the things you can use the plain Qt documentation and API. Changes around maemo are documented here.

Daniel
The problem is almost all the code examples are C/C++ so unless you're a C programmer it's hard to decipher/decode/translate to more novice-friendly python code.

I guess Maemo isn't pushing python as a viable alternative to coding in C/C++ ?

Originally Posted by danielwilms View Post

Daniel
Great now all I need is the damn SDK repos to come back up and I can actually setup my new dev environment.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Posts: 247 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ London/M4 Corridor
[QUOTE=mwerle;428721But it's also very important to then be able to turn the authored documentation into offline documents - either to be printed (not my use-case) or for offline reading when no network connection is available, as is the case on the London Tube...

- Micha.[/QUOTE]

Have you tried httrack? I have used this quite sucessfully on the N810 to cache sites for offline reading, and the wizard mode that starts when you enter just "httrack" at the command line speeds things along quite a lot.

Posts: 402 | Thanked: 229 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by hypnotik View Post
The problem is almost all the code examples are C/C++ so unless you're a C programmer it's hard to decipher/decode/translate to more novice-friendly python code.

I guess Maemo isn't pushing python as a viable alternative to coding in C/C++ ?
On the contrary. I asked a similar question on the PySide mailing list and got a positive reply

I would speculate that the lack of documentation in this regard is simply due to PySide being incomplete. I would wager, however ,that PySide being funded by Nokia, would eventually have documentation as good as standard Qt

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Not to mention PyQt already has documentation as good as standard Qt (as it's mostly generated from the Qt docs ).

Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
Great now all I need is the damn SDK repos to come back up and I can actually setup my new dev environment.
Qt also seems to have official documentation in its git repository. (link is to doc folder in source tree)

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Not to mention PyQt already has documentation as good as standard Qt (as it's mostly generated from the Qt docs ).
Unfortunately, I have found that most of the PyQt documentation is a simple cut/paste job from the original C++ Qt documentation. Since the current bindings aren't pythonic, the syntax is similar enough to deal with this limitation (I believe this was mentioned earlier), but to some it will still be a PITA.