Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Got into some simple problem, either debug or flash, never try flash before (after owning the N900 for 75 days!), gave a shot, totally impressed with Nokia backup/restore.

N900:
1) Fully charged
2) Menu>More...>Backup, created a new backup, Location to SD, check all options, Communication and Calendar/Bookmarks/Settings/Application list. Took 10 seconds.

Win XP media center edition sp 3:
1) dl and installdc Nokia PC suite v.7.1.40.1
2) clicked the update phone software icon, the lowest right icon, this dl and installed
Nokia Software Updater v.2.4.5en, window PC rebooted after installation. These 2 steps took 15 min!
3) Started Nokia Software Updater, turned on N900, plugged it into the PC with the USB cable, connected via PC suite mode (it did NOT matter what mode, the updater would reboot your N900)
4) Continued with either update or reinstall and left it alone.
3 min or so, it was done.

The N900 rebooted and automatically reset everything to its original settings, including wifi keyword, and presented you with a menu of ALL your installed program, I clicked and selected which ones I did NOT want to re-install. I went to fix some sandwich for dinner, 15 min later, I took a peek, everything was already back to original! I did not have to lay a finger for anything except, uh, the bootup video was restored back to the 'hand' video. Other than that, the whole process was transparent, user handsfree and trouble free.

A two thumbs up for the backup/restore. Thank you N900 team!

As my USB cable is always with the PC, I now do not scare about 'flash'ing the N900 ... any more, 2 min to create a new backup and 15 min for the handsfree restoration, wow.

bun

The Following User Says Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Hear Hear on the backup program.

Very quick & basically captured everything. I also liked the way it just created a regular archive with regular files contained within, so if I wanted to just choose individual pieces I could.

The restore of apps afterwards was very cool too.

Best backup program I've had a phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to planetf1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Now go forth and hack upon it son.

In other words; feel free to screw things up.

SLN member # 009

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
...feel free to screw things up.
You read my mind, Dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bun

It works great, I did not know about this way of "flashing" before, Thank You!

Posts: 141 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Ahmedabad, India
Great , N900 rocks !

a very good short & sweet and yet to the point explanation bun !