Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by afaq View Post
You know what i make from this thread and other's similar? That there is no single culprit for battery drainage. It sounds like doing anything on this sucks the life out of the battery. True some report miracles with 20+ hours with always online.

I dont think MfE is to blame.
I dont think IM online is to blame.
I dont think Ovi maps is to blame.
I dont think MicroB is to blame.
Ultimately, they all are to blame.

I have disabled every possible function of the phone and discovered it made no difference (lowest brightness, all radio intennas off - except phone function, vibration off, zero multi tasking) and battery drops life like a ....

(View The graph)

- Internet browsing through the wifi drains the battery AS fast as 3G.
- When the phone radio is offline (underground train) the battery stabilises but still falls. What does this tell me? well that no application is sucking the battery excessively. No extra devels app uses the phone radio so this filters this possibility.
- Idle. Not really, connected through 3G (check emails etc, but not online on any IM account). But nothing else. Kinda idle i guess.

I know, with long testing that 2G is wonderful to the battery life. But who can seriously advise that we use 2G on a daily basis? it's fine for IM chat etc but when you have to open a browser window the pain returns.
Maybe these apps could make your life little easier:

http://maemo.org/packages/view/autodisconnect/

http://maemo.org/downloads/product/M...ection-applet/

And about going out of network reach. IIRC all phones what I have had from Nokia drain battery completely quite quickly if the network is not available. It seems that phones use maximum power to establish connection when in low signal strength areas.

.edit
IMO best way to benchmark battery usage is to disable almost everything and compare battery-eye/batterygraph figures between people who have sent their picture here (there is lots of threads about battery usage here in TMO, just use power search). Trick is to minimize the variables when comparing with other people so that same network mode, apps, widgets etc. are disabled/used. My recommendation is to start from level zero where almost everything is disabled (best would be freshly reflashed n900 with no apps installed and all network apps (widgets,IM etc) disabled except phone)

Last edited by slender; 2010-10-21 at 07:50.

Settings:

- 3G always on,
- push-mail with microsoft exchange and nokia messaging with 4 mailboxes constantly connected to the server and waiting for emails
- writing a lot of emails
- displaybrightness at 4
- about 1h music with default media player
- browsing in the internet about 1h with microb

all this combined about 13 hours and still more than 20% of battery left!
so i can't complain

Originally Posted by Joseph.skb View Post
I'm thinking of getting a second battery, or that Nokia extra power thingy. I believe should come in handy.

Don't forget wall charger for BL-5j too. It comes in handy if u wanna recharge the empty battery without using phone

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Malaga, Spain
I think it's import for me to mention this.

I have had my N900 for a year or more and I never had excessive battery problems until yesterday, I noticed that I had about 7 hours battery life.

So after thinking about the changes I made and looking at conky. I found that there was an application called "hulda" that was taking 95% of my cpu time, etc. I couldn't find any reference to "hulda", I then remembered that I added the dual/2g/3g application, so I removed it, and rebooted the n900.

When looking at Conky again, hulda had gone and my battery life is now back to normal.

I hope this helps someone.

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Montreal
I am not quite sure about Maemo, but Skype is one of the biggest battery drainers on my Symbian phone.

Posts: 190 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Accra,Ghana
I think the problem with this phone is that its not ur everyday phone. its more of a computer!! N i cant keep my hands off it..so all these things drain the battery..but on average i can get thru a day. If i use it constantly meaning listening to mp3s, browsing on 3G n skype plus IM then 4 hours...

most of my mates who have N900 n dont use it much get like 2 or 3 days!!! but dats cos they havent realised ita full potential

I think the thing that kills the battery is MULTI-TASKING!!! if we couldnt multitask we wouldnt be on the phone so much!!