Hi, I'm from mywayorthehighway.com. I think this idea sucks and this thread should be deleted. Thank you

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Glad to hear you are not dead set on the idea.

Originally Posted by mmurfin87 View Post
Keep in mind that everyone still has the freedom to speak and start new threads. Its just when one person opens a thread that person can moderate what is said.
If you start removing peoples comments and they start a new thread then it will all get in a mess. Better to keep it all in one place and unmodified IMO.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
Hi, I'm from mywayorthehighway.com. I think this idea sucks and this thread should be deleted. Thank you
I checked with your superior at mywayorthehighway.com and she said we should conduct a poll. And that you need to pick up a gallon of milk on your way home.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
People who start threads CAN moderate them, I found with my PR1.2 thread, started in response to a moderator who wanted to add Chuck Norris to the original PR1.2 thread (my interpretation, sorry.)

I was afraid that I was going to be invaded by Chuck Norris posters inspired by the frivolity enhanced by the moderator thread, and indeed, eventually some DID come.

I simply attacked them a bit bitterly and they stopped posting. I said in no uncertain terms that the thread was trying to be for serious discussion of PR1.2.

To my partial surprise, it worked!

If you see Texrat's comments in threads, you will notice that when he isn't making threats (which I couldn't do, having no power to threaten), he simply asks people to cool it, and they do!

You can do that with your threads. I think that what this site has occasionally lacked is more self-moderation. If people want threads to stay on topic, in general they don't need no stinking moderators (no offense, just trying to use the movie cliche -- see Treasure of the Sierra Madre).

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
1. There's no reason the OP should get special status just because he starts a thread.

2. If the moderation concern is due to extreme OOT or trolling, it's already covered by the ToS and you just need to report to forum mod for assistance.

3. Talking and asking people nicely works wonder

The worst thing that can happen with freely delegated moderation like this is that people use it to moderate the content to fit their bias in the debate/discussion.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
The worst thing that can happen with freely delegated moderation like this is that people use it to moderate the content to fit their bias in the debate/discussion.
AND there will be a flood of threads debating unfair moderation by other people. In other words, chaos.

The Following User Says Thank You to RFS-81 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I don't make threats, just promises.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I think a person asking a question has a certain inherent status. That person should be the worlds #1 expert on what they meant by the question and whether they understand the answers given. Responders owe the questioner some attention. I have seen threads in which no one appears to be even trying to answer the actual question.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:

Tags
imabigkidnow, iwantthepower