Posts: 52 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Northeast USA
One last thing, can anyone suggest any other websites for n800 resources...
So far the only site I found is maemo.org, I assume thats the only source for developer information and downloadable apps?

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
Use it with the silver nubbin on the outside.

silver nubbin on the outside? What do you mean?

((BTW: posting this from my n800!!! This thing is the **** and all i've done is screw
around with it. No real world use yet outside my house.)

Question on pidgin? I downloaded it but it would not install. It said it said installable ?? what to do? I was trying to install pidign 2.o.1 is that the right one for linux? I am use to windows os.

Originally Posted by noyz View Post
the stylus could be longer, the little shiny silver part is rubbing a sore on the side of my index knuckle.... any remedies tot his?
Shorten your fingers..
I have the same problem while playing some of the games, and it doesn't help to turn it around or anything. It's simply too short. Made for midgets! So there.

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
A lot of sources advise for LiIon batteries to let them go through a couple of complete charges/deep discharges the first time. It's claimed to help maximize the battery capacity.
Interestingly the Wikipedia entry says you shouldn't. They also say LiIon batteries die pretty quickly if they get too warm - say in the back of your N800 attached to the dashboard of your car on a sunny day.

Apple say similar things about their batteries.

NimH and NiCd batteries are the ones that need deep cycling.

Then again, I've yet to own a mobile device whose battery hasn't totally given up within a year anyway (my laptop's battery is totally dead, it doesn't hold charge overnight any more). So I don't think it really matters

I've been careful to use my laptop off the charger almost every day (i.e. avoiding keeping it at 100% all the time, particularly when warm), and it's only in the third year that the capacity has started to drop a bit (I used to get 5 hours active hacking capacity, now it's more like 4 1/3). The old battery, on the other hand, completely died within a year after being kept 100% charged all the time. However, I try to avoid deep-discharging the laptop. In my experience that'll kill capacity quickly (I did it once with my phone and it's never been the same after that).

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by piku View Post
Interestingly the Wikipedia entry says you shouldn't. They also say LiIon batteries die pretty quickly if they get too warm - say in the back of your N800 attached to the dashboard of your car on a sunny day.

Apple say similar things about their batteries.

NimH and NiCd batteries are the ones that need deep cycling.

Then again, I've yet to own a mobile device whose battery hasn't totally given up within a year anyway (my laptop's battery is totally dead, it doesn't hold charge overnight any more). So I don't think it really matters
Personally I think there's not much that can go wrong with a LiIon battery with functional and sturdy charge monitoring circuitry. Whether the new-battery-deep-cycle works or not, it shouldn't do any harm to a LiIon battery anyway. And if you do happen to have a dodgy one, better to find out early, eh?