Active Topics

Originally Posted by kureyon View Post
That's the website's fault for trying to be "clever". Unless you mean it's the browser's fault for not allowing you to fake the user agent string?
Tried to respond to this on the train this morning using my N8, but cannot get the hang of the on screen keyboard (I don't think I ever will) however when I did finally pen a response, I then got a network error trying to submit it!

Is there a way to stop the website from being clever, I mean I was connected last night through my wifi, I don't want the bloody mobile site, I want the full site. All attempts at forcing it to open the full site failed.

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ West Virginia
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
The E7 appears to have more software bugs than the N8, which is pretty stable. The leaked Symbian Belle is available for the N8. I've been using it, and it's pretty good. In some ways, I prefer it to Meego-Harmattan.

The Symbian browser is quite poor, though the Belle version is an improvement. Install Opera Mobile for the best experience.

The only things that would attract me to the E7 are the larger screen and HWKB, though the HWKB is similar to that on the N950, which I have found to be a bit cumbersome compared to the N900. The larger size means that your thumbs need to travel further for each keypress, which reduces typing speed in my experience.
So you are overall saying those 2 phones are quite similar, but giving you the choice between having a HWKB or not, and thus far you are finding more differences with the software/OS? E7 is the newer of the two phones correct? ...and it has some bugs that are not quite worked out, N8 was the same but with Belle it seems to be running better?

So out of the two, the closest possible comparison is E7 if you want a keyboard like the N900, N8 if you want a better camera than most other phones and a microSD memory slot (like the N900).

However as we all bemoan... no true replacement for the N900 as of yet on the market. Hope the N9 comes out soon, and maybe it will be better than these other two.

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by coderedcomputing View Post
So you are overall saying those 2 phones are quite similar, but giving you the choice between having a HWKB or not, and thus far you are finding more differences with the software/OS? E7 is the newer of the two phones correct? ...and it has some bugs that are not quite worked out, N8 was the same but with Belle it seems to be running better?

So out of the two, the closest possible comparison is E7 if you want a keyboard like the N900, N8 if you want a better camera than most other phones and a microSD memory slot (like the N900).

However as we all bemoan... no true replacement for the N900 as of yet on the market. Hope the N9 comes out soon, and maybe it will be better than these other two.
There are some bugs that appear to be specific to the E7, even when both the N8 and E7 are running Symbian Anna. In particular, the E7 is reported to have a WiFi bug, which results in disconnects when downloading data. The benefits of installing the leaked Belle on the N8 are mostly regarding the UX (better homescreen widgets and a more streamlined menu system that is similar to Meego-Harmattan).

Whichever you choose, make sure to check for the purple screen.

My website

GitHub

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ West Virginia
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
Whichever you choose, make sure to check for the purple screen.
I am seriously dreading the possible purple screen, my n900 is having some bizarre hardware issues and will be out of warranty by the end of the month. Still debating sending it in for service and the associated risk of loosing maemo completely.