Posts: 473 | Thanked: 141 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Virginia, USA
I need to buy a new battery for my device. I was thinking about using a pair of them with a desktop charger and swapping them when needed. Is it possible to plug the N810 into power and swap the battery without having to reboot?

Thanks,
--vr

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by VulcanRidr View Post
I need to buy a new battery for my device. I was thinking about using a pair of them with a desktop charger and swapping them when needed. Is it possible to plug the N810 into power and swap the battery without having to reboot?

Thanks,
--vr
Sorry, not possible on N800 and N810. Even though the power adaptor stays plugged in, the unit will shut down when battery is removed.

The Following User Says Thank You to Den in USA For This Useful Post:
Out of curiosity, why would you want or need to do so? If it is a connection issue and you already have access to an outlet...whats the point?

Originally Posted by lantz View Post
Out of curiosity, why would you want or need to do so? If it is a connection issue and you already have access to an outlet...whats the point?
Right now, I have two weak batteries (I'm sitting on between 1 and 2 bars by the time I get to work on both). I can plug it into the outlet at my desk, but if I have stuff that keeps me away from my desk, I'd like to have as full of a charge as possible. I thought that if the system supported it, I could swap batteries without rebooting.

Seems to me a new battery is what you need...
My suggestion...
http://shop.eten.hu/akkumuljator-pov...sh_11247721493

My suggestion...

Will it be possible with the n900 with the ac cable plugged in to change the battery while the device is running?

Originally Posted by lantz View Post
My suggestion...
You are absolutely correct. I haven't done it before now because of my work schedule plus doing the research. I have posted a couple of threads to see which battery was best, and came back with mixed results...Especially the Mugen. I also looked on ebay, and saw Nokia OEM BP-4L batteries for $5. I also read in various threads that Mugen batteries vary in quality, and if I am going to buy one for $40 or $80 (especially seeing that the OEM, which is only 300MAh lower than the $40 Mugen) is 1/8 the cost, it gives me pause. As wesgreen stated in thread http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=33367

i've read in other threads that the quality of the mugen battery is iffy compared to the nokia battery and the a.h. numbers optimistic. i hope you have better luck with it!
and Shadowjk said

If it helps, the '1800mAh' N800 mugen battery is about 1200mAh. This was an improvement over my old nokia original which had degraded to about 800mAh.
If you read that thread, you see it is all over the board. Some have had problems with Nokia batteries and others with Mugen...And a few no problems at all...So I don't know which way to jump. I don't want the plastic back or extra heft of a 3600MAh battery (though if I need it, I will do so), but I do want longer life than the 1500MAh. So it seems that the 1800 is the way to go, but I don't want to pay 8x the cost of the OEM battery if it is the same or less MAh than the OEM.

See my quandry?
--vr

So I am still trying to figure out

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by VulcanRidr View Post
You are absolutely correct. I haven't done it before now because of my work schedule plus doing the research. I have posted a couple of threads to see which battery was best, and came back with mixed results...Especially the Mugen. I also looked on ebay, and saw Nokia OEM BP-4L batteries for $5. I also read in various threads that Mugen batteries vary in quality, and if I am going to buy one for $40 or $80 (especially seeing that the OEM, which is only 300MAh lower than the $40 Mugen) is 1/8 the cost, it gives me pause. As wesgreen stated in thread http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=33367

and Shadowjk said

If you read that thread, you see it is all over the board. Some have had problems with Nokia batteries and others with Mugen...And a few no problems at all...So I don't know which way to jump. I don't want the plastic back or extra heft of a 3600MAh battery (though if I need it, I will do so), but I do want longer life than the 1500MAh. So it seems that the 1800 is the way to go, but I don't want to pay 8x the cost of the OEM battery if it is the same or less MAh than the OEM.

See my quandry?
--vr

So I am still trying to figure out
You are right about not wanting to buy the $5 eBay batteries from China. I bought a BP-5L battery for my N800 on eBay for $20 that shipped from USA that I am happy with.

Originally Posted by Den in USA View Post
You are right about not wanting to buy the $5 eBay batteries from China. I bought a BP-5L battery for my N800 on eBay for $20 that shipped from USA that I am happy with.
Actually, the $5 battery I saw was shipped from the USA. I passed over all the Chinese and Singapore batteries for just that reason...Are the odds that the one I found just a Chinese one being resold in the USA?