Active Topics

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Finland
I have a Garmin Nüvi series navigation device (which works perfectly). And now I've bought a N900. Though I have a navigator device, I still have to use my N900 to navigate (especially when walking.) . but I (may be stupid...) havent found voice route advice from Ovi Maps. Is there such an option? And, Nokia claims that Ovi maps is completely free... Is it a joke?

O.M. always need an internet connection (at least 256Kb/s, if less it's painful to wait.), and a connection always costs money (here in Finland 256 kbps connection's price starts from 5-10€ a month/2-year-contract-> min.120€ (the price of my navigator!) ). Is it free? Ok. Nokia doesn't charge me, but my operator does! Anyways, there isn't open WLAN n-work everywhere outside... and if I use normal operator's HSDPA connection for navigtion, it will cost me over 15€ a time!

So, I prefer nowadays my fully free navigation device. I paid 120€ for it once, but at least I haven't to pay every time I want to get somewhere . So, which is better? To buy a navigation device once for all, or be charged monthly by your operator when using a device like the N900 (A-GPS)?

Last edited by Arezki; 2010-07-19 at 12:52.

Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
Originally Posted by Arezki View Post
I have a Garmin Nüvi series navigation device (which works perfectly). And now I've bought a N900. Though I have a navigator device, I still have to use my N900 to navigate (especially when walking.) . but I (may be stupid...) havent found voice route advice from Ovi Maps. Is there such an option? And, Nokia claims that Ovi maps is completely free... Is it a joke?

O.M. always need an internet connection (at least 256Kb/s, if less it's painful to wait.), and a connection always costs money (here in Finland 256 kbps connection's price starts from 5-10€ a month/2-year-contract-> min.120€ (the price of my navigator!) ). Is it free? Ok. Nokia doesn't charge me, but my operator does! Anyways, there isn't open WLAN n-work everywhere outside... and if I use normal operator's HSDPA connection for navigtion, it will cost me over 15€ a time!
Normally you would buy a data package and so data traffic would be completely free. And Ovi Maps is free. AFAIK they never claimed there's voice navigation available for the N900.

E: Oh and you don't need a data connection to use GPS, though it will probably take 3 - 15 minutes to get a fix. My Nokia E71 never got a fix when I didn't use 3G.

E2: Maybe not get a data package normally but I think most have a data package for the N900 as to take advantage of all it's features.

Last edited by ToJa92; 2010-07-19 at 13:02.

Posts: 932 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kentucky
Ovi Maps is a complete joke... this is why many people are using sygic on their N900. Best of luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to x61 For This Useful Post:
totally useless!!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to CasTTeLLo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 253 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bristol, UK
I have a Garmin Nüvi series navigation device (which works perfectly). And now I've bought a N900. Though I have a navigator device, I still have to use my N900 to navigate (especially when walking.) . but I (may be stupid...) havent found voice route advice from Ovi Maps. Is there such an option?
No.

And, Nokia claims that Ovi maps is completely free... Is it a joke?
Not a joke, it is indeed free. But the Maemo version is not nearly so capable as the Symbian version.

O.M. always need an internet connection (at least 256Kb/s, if less it's painful to wait.)
Download your maps beforehand.

You will still need to be online to search (and A-GPS will make your GPS fix faster). But that doesn't involve much data.

So, I prefer nowadays my fully free navigation device. I paid 120€ for it once, but at least I haven't to pay every time I want to get somewhere . So, which is better? To buy a navigation device once for all, or be charged monthly by your operator when using a device like the N900 (A-GPS)?
I use:
  • Sygic Maps when driving (for voice guidance).
  • Ovi Maps when on foot & exploring a city (much prettier maps than Sygic).
  • Maep with OpenCycleMap data for cycling & countryside walking.
All of these can operate offline, and between the three of them I have everything I need. If you prefer your Nüvi, then great! I prefer just carrying one device.

Ovi Maps is free because no one would pay for it. Nokia should fire every person which works on UI of Maemo version.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hrw For This Useful Post:
Is there a link to Sygic?

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=57698
http://wiki.maemo.org/Navigation_Tools

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

The Following User Says Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Thanks Flandry. Is sygic free? i've heard that you had to buy it(?)

Sounds like you require truly offline navigation...
If you want to stick with the n900, there's Sygic Maps.
If you want a phone, consider the Garmin nuvifone.