Active Topics

Posts: 536 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Russia
is there a way to import music? i have music in emmc and meego is not reading it. and how to import contacts?

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by mrsellout View Post
Do you know about the no swap bug for the emmc install?
The regular install on sd card uses the emmc swap from maemo, but when you write this to the emmc, it overwrites the whole drive including the swap. Ergo no swap.
Use the Rescue initrd and gparted to create a swap partition or create a swap file in the rootfs and enable it. Things run a lot better then.
I didn't know about that. Besides that's no "bug", it's more like building a house and "forget" about doors and windows. No one really forget about such things.

Besides, I'm flashing the tablet version now. Is that version also infected by that "bug" ?

The regular install on sd card uses the emmc swap from maemo, but when you write this to the emmc, it overwrites the whole drive including the swap. Ergo no swap.
I was curious about this statement, as I didn't believe it was true. So I grabbed the latest image off the repo, and looked at the partition table. This is what I found:

Code:
Model:  (file)
Disk mg-handset-armv7nhl-n900-ce-stable-1.2.0.90.6.20110630.4.DE.2011-07-01.1-mmcblk0p.raw: 3817MB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system     Flags
 1      512B    3775MB  3775MB  primary  ext4
 2      3775MB  3783MB  8389kB  primary  linux-swap(v1)
 3      3783MB  3817MB  33.6MB  primary  fat16           lba
So yes, when you load the image on the eMMC it does overwrite the entire drive. But you're overwriting everything, including the partition table, with a new partition table contained in the image. This includes a swap volume in partition two.

So, no bug.

am using a sandisk class 4 and i guess its use able. and a good backup when maemo reads my battery level wrong and refuses to boot...

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
I was curious about this statement, as I didn't believe it was true. So I grabbed the latest image off the repo, and looked at the partition table. This is what I found:

Code:
Model:  (file)
Disk mg-handset-armv7nhl-n900-ce-stable-1.2.0.90.6.20110630.4.DE.2011-07-01.1-mmcblk0p.raw: 3817MB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system     Flags
 1      512B    3775MB  3775MB  primary  ext4
 2      3775MB  3783MB  8389kB  primary  linux-swap(v1)
 3      3783MB  3817MB  33.6MB  primary  fat16           lba
So yes, when you load the image on the eMMC it does overwrite the entire drive. But you're overwriting everything, including the partition table, with a new partition table contained in the image. This includes a swap volume in partition two.

So, no bug.
While it does write a swap volume,
a) it's only 8mb large
b)swap volumes aren't automounted like in maemo where fstab is autogenerated at boot time (you could create more partitions and put a swap volume at mmcblkop6 and maemo would find it and mount it at boot up). MeeGo CE looks for emmc partition 3 for it's swap, unfortunately in this instance it's the /boot partition. When it doesn't find it you're just left with no swap.

Code:
/dev/mmcblk0p1  /         ext4   defaults,noatime 0 0
/dev/mmcblk0p3  /boot         vfat   defaults,noatime 0 0
/dev/mmcblk1p3  swap         swap   defaults,noatime 0 0
devpts     /dev/pts  devpts  gid=5,mode=620   0 0
tmpfs      /dev/shm  tmpfs   defaults         0 0
proc       /proc     proc    defaults         0 0
sysfs      /sys      sysfs   defaults         0 0

Last edited by mrsellout; 2011-07-03 at 23:31.

The Following User Says Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
While it does write a swap volume,
a) it's only 8mb large
b)swap volumes aren't automounted like in maemo where fstab is autogenerated at boot time (you could create more partitions and put a swap volume at mmcblkop6 and maemo would find it and mount it at boot up). MeeGo CE looks for emmc partition 3 for it's swap, unfortunately in this instance it's the /boot partition. When it doesn't find it you're just left with no swap.
8MB is probably more than enough, and it's kind of hard to fit anything bigger in when you're constraining yourself to a 4GB card. I suspect they could squeeze a 256MB partition in there, but that's not up to me.

Also, I see what you are referring to in the fstab, has a bug been filed about this?

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
No I haven't, someone else on here pointed it out as a bug (and I can't remember who or where). I was hoping to mention it to timoph on #meego-arm, but I haven't got round to it yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 536 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Russia
is there a way to import music? i have music in emmc and meego is not reading it. and how to import contacts?

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Easy way: buy a sd card reader for 2$, burn and boot from a live cd (if you don't have linux at hand), extend meego partition with disk utility, copy music in it.
Free and harder way: mount maemo partition from meego terminal, copy music. (or extend and mount meego partition from maemo). Can't help you on that one.

The Following User Says Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine
Originally Posted by zurrain101 View Post
Posting the same question over and over ain't gonna help. See this: http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/N900/DataManagement

Bet you can't guess how I found that...