I you have trouble with the language(s) of the country(s) your going, you could use qTranslate (from ovi store free) or gTranslate (also free lol).

Almost forgot, check tipqalc, is very useful.

Grettings.

Last edited by s4br0s0; 2011-08-12 at 20:00.

The Following User Says Thank You to s4br0s0 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
I'm looking for this and can't seem to find it. Where did you get this from?

Is it in the repositories?
yes I think it is.
As someone said is called evopedia

http://evopedia.info/

is awesome, to have all the wikipedia in your hand.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by Pigro View Post
you can buy T-mobile prepaid SIM cards in the US. Depending on how long you will be there there are many options with different bundled data, and theres also a "pay by the day" option for data too ($1.50 per day for unlimited access but speed may drop after 35MB/day). In 2010, I used the latter and it worked a treat. However they've rejigged it and earlier this year I bought another SIM and found that the web page you have to visit to enable the "web day pass" won't work with the n900. Some others seem to have found a way round that, but it arrived too late for me :-(.
There was no "finding a way round that" for me when I used the web day pass a week ago. It just worked. You can't use it with wireless -- you have to be using T-mobile service. I'm paying $15 a month for mine.

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Today i tested MoNav on a ~160 miles trip (and back) between two US states, and want to share my insights so anyone is better prepared than me.

Things that i found out / observed:

Negative points
1) it seems to calculate shortest (shortest as in distance, not as in time) route only - later in the text it will be clear why this can be very bad for you!

2) no beep, warning tone or other audio / voice notification that there is a waypoint / exit / whatever coming - you have to check the display yourself quite often!

3) the half-transparent button for 'Fullscreen / Window mode' nicely overlays the information for the next waypoint, i.e. road / exit name, information is barely visible through it

4) Once, the GPS hanged today; the position was not often or not at all updated. I had to restart the program to fix this. Happened only once though, and after restart (launch is quick!) calculated route was still active. Nice.

5) Worst issue: As it calculates strict the shortest route, it actually gives such guidances as:

- i missed an exit on the highway -> guidance was, that i should take the 'next exit' - which was actually the same exit, but i was instructed to use the lane that you use for ENTERING the highway to EXIT the highway! So basically by following this, you would have been a ghost driver. Repeatable issue.

- twice i had been given instruction to make a u-turn on the friggin' highway! In the US, you often have no guidance planks in between the opposite highway directions, and after some distance there are small interconnecting driveways for service personnel. I was instructed to use those twice! One time of the two happenings, it was even given after i should use the wrong direction to enter the highway!

- once, after missing an exit in a triangular / rotary mixture, i was instructed to do an maneuver that was more like a 'triangle exit', so to speak to exit the rotary in an inverted '7' like shape / maneuver (difficult to explain) In short: it was not allowed / is common to exit a road interleaving like i should done it

- dark blue color for the route currently calculated is difficult to distinguish from the medium blue that is used for several roads, especially highways - this is especially 'fun' while driving around those many circular and overlapping highways in major US cities.

At this point. i cannot repeat often enough: You are responsible to use common sense and have to be able to interpret the map shown, to avoid being surprised by such (sometimes very dangerous) instructions!

6) to cancel the route, it seems you have to delete the destination waypoint. Maybe it works another way too, but i basically never went to the final destination exactly, so i cannot say if the route is canceled / finished automatically if you do so.

7) sea / water is not displayed in the maps, besides rivers and small ponds that are contained in land itself somehow - this can be distracting / confusing wile viewing a larger part / zoom view of the map

8) no POI or custom targets / "area search", only address search is possible so you have to know the next town around your destination. For example, you cannot search for things like "Bromley Mountain" like you could in Garmin or TomTom, you have to know that the next town around that target is Peru

9) If you search the destination via address search, you cannot specify ZIP code (i think) nor federal state / regions. While i searched for said Peru, it found 6 towns with that name within a certain radius. You can choose the correct target, but the choices are presented by an small 'target area preview' only. Difficult.. so in my case, i used a temporary destination to get me close to the final destination, and when i reached the temporary destination, it was easier for me to choose between 6 hits according to the distance to my reached position.

10) quite often tiles are missing from map view, and are shown at a later time but of course they exist in the pre-processed maps

11) GPS position is displayed as-is, this results in strange behavior, especially with N900's generally so-so GPS accuracy: no "snap position to next road" as in Garmin Mobile XT possible, (which does quite good work, if enabled or not, in calculating driving direction / giving no spurious instructions). One time it happens, another time not, quite often results in spurious driving advices. For example, MoNav's opinion is quite often that you are driving in parallel / on the other direction's lanes (happened on the highway as well as in cities), and therefore you should make a either a u-turn or other maneuvers soon. This will probably level out, but also can take some time...

Positive points
1) it has pre-processed, readily downloadable maps all over the world with very good details (ok, that is OSM standard...)

2) it has offline searching / routing

3) it has dynamic re-routing, according on how you drive / departures in the previously calculated route, and the rerouting is quite fast! Best thing ever!

4) You can have multiple waypoints it seems

5) quite nice GUI

6) lock mode where it let the map view follow the active route and shows routing instructions like actual distance to drive in current road / next instruction / exit and rotates the map view in direction of driving, and non-locked mode that allows to easily pan the map, and the view is always north up

7) very fast zoom!

8) you can choose between pre-processed vector maps (higher power / CPU requirements, no Internet connection required) and raster OSM tiles (lower power / CPU requirements, Internet connection required as they are downloaded on demand

9) texture filtering / anti-aliasing for vector maps

10) Bookmarks possible

11) world view in map selection screen shows rectangles for available map sets

Conclusion: it's usable, but i wouldn't bet my life on it if i would depend, especially for the dangerous instruction / routing problems. modRana is way better here, but has no offline routing or maps. yes, you can pre-download OSM tiles either within modRana or externally, but it's slooow... And offline routing should be available via monav-daemon, but i did not check this.

I hope this information is helpful to somebody.

Last edited by don_falcone; 2011-08-13 at 12:53.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by BigBadGuber! View Post
Just get an iphone 4. superior device in every respect. I tried using N900 overseas, but GPS and connections were uttery dismal. Popped in the sim into my iphone, and no problems whatsoever.
Shut up with your constant iDevice suggestions. This is way off-topic anyway. Go and play on an iPhone board.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
Today i tested MoNav on a ~160 miles trip (and back) between two US states, and want to share my insights so anyone is better prepared than me.

Things that i found out / observed:

Negative points
1) it seems to calculate shortest (shortest as in distance, not as in time) route only - later in the text it will be clear why this can be very bad for you!

2) no beep, warning tone or other audio / voice notification that there is a waypoint / exit / whatever coming - you have to check the display yourself quite often!

3) the half-transparent button for 'Fullscreen / Window mode' nicely overlays the information for the next waypoint, i.e. road / exit name, information is barely visible through it

4) Once, the GPS hanged today; the position was not often or not at all updated. I had to restart the program to fix this. Happened only once though, and after restart (launch is quick!) calculated route was still active. Nice.

5) Worst issue: As it calculates strict the shortest route, it actually gives such guidances as:

- i missed an exit on the highway -> guidance was, that i should take the 'next exit' - which was actually the same exit, but i was instructed to use the lane that you use for ENTERING the highway to EXIT the highway! So basically by following this, you would have been a ghost driver. Repeatable issue.

- twice i had been given instruction to make a u-turn on the friggin' highway! In the US, you often have no guidance planks in between the opposite highway directions, and after some distance there are small interconnecting driveways for service personnel. I was instructed to use those twice! One time of the two happenings, it was even given after i should use the wrong direction to enter the highway!

- once, after missing an exit in a triangular / rotary mixture, i was instructed to do an maneuver that was more like a 'triangle exit', so to speak to exit the rotary in an inverted '7' like shape / maneuver (difficult to explain) In short: it was not allowed / is common to exit a road interleaving like i should done it

- dark blue color for the route currently calculated is difficult to distinguish from the medium blue that is used for several roads, especially highways - this is especially 'fun' while driving around those many circular and overlapping highways in major US cities.

At this point. i cannot repeat often enough: You are responsible to use common sense and have to be able to interpret the map shown, to avoid being surprised by such (sometimes very dangerous) instructions!

6) to cancel the route, it seems you have to delete the destination waypoint. Maybe it works another way too, but i basically never went to the final destination exactly, so i cannot say if the route is canceled / finished automatically if you do so.

7) sea / water is not displayed in the maps, besides rivers and small ponds that are contained in land itself somehow - this can be distracting / confusing wile viewing a larger part / zoom view of the map

8) no POI or custom targets / "area search", only address search is possible so you have to know the next town around your destination. For example, you cannot search for things like "Bromley Mountain" like you could in Garmin or TomTom, you have to know that the next town around that target is Peru

9) If you search the destination via address search, you cannot specify ZIP code (i think) nor federal state / regions. While i searched for said Peru, it found 6 towns with that name within a certain radius. You can choose the correct target, but the choices are presented by an small 'target area preview' only. Difficult.. so in my case, i used a temporary destination to get me close to the final destination, and when i reached the temporary destination, it was easier for me to choose between 6 hits according to the distance to my reached position.

10) quite often tiles are missing from map view, and are shown at a later time but of course they exist in the pre-processed maps

11) GPS position is displayed as-is, this results in strange behavior, especially with N900's generally so-so GPS accuracy: no "snap position to next road" as in Garmin Mobile XT possible, (which does quite good work, if enabled or not, in calculating driving direction / giving no spurious instructions). One time it happens, another time not, quite often results in spurious driving advices. For example, MoNav's opinion is quite often that you are driving in parallel / on the other direction's lanes (happened on the highway as well as in cities), and therefore you should make a either a u-turn or other maneuvers soon. This will probably level out, but also can take some time...

Positive points
1) it has pre-processed, readily downloadable maps all over the world with very good details (ok, that is OSM standard...)

2) it has offline searching / routing

3) it has dynamic re-routing, according on how you drive / departures in the previously calculated route, and the rerouting is quite fast! Best thing ever!

4) You can have multiple waypoints it seems

5) quite nice GUI

6) lock mode where it let the map view follow the active route and shows routing instructions like actual distance to drive in current road / next instruction / exit and rotates the map view in direction of driving, and non-locked mode that allows to easily pan the map, and the view is always north up

7) very fast zoom!

8) you can choose between pre-processed vector maps (higher power / CPU requirements, no Internet connection required) and raster OSM tiles (lower power / CPU requirements, Internet connection required as they are downloaded on demand

9) texture filtering / anti-aliasing for vector maps

10) Bookmarks possible

11) world view in map selection screen shows rectangles for available map sets

Conclusion: it's usable, but i wouldn't bet my life on it if if would depend, especially for the dangerous instruction / routing problems. modRana is way better here, but has no offline routing or maps. yes, you can pre-download OSM tiles either within modRana or externally, but it's slooow... And offline routing should be available via monav-daemon, but i did not check this.

I hope this information is helpful to somebody.
just get an iphone. google maps work great. helped me great in istanbul, where N900 choked big time

Haha, Google Maps! Try that offline / without GSM reception! This is only usable while not on roaming and in cities / densely populated areas. Try that in Mauretania or Senegal...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
Shut up with your constant iDevice suggestions. This is way off-topic anyway. Go and play on an iPhone board.
The guy wants to travel abroad with N900. I am giving him my own advice. I tried and it failed miserably. N900 is a half *** phone.

Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
The guy wants to travel abroad with N900. I am giving him my own advice. I tried and it failed miserably. N900 is a half *** phone.
So you told him.

So GTF out of here and go hang out on the Fruit Boards.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
You're trying way too hard... give it a break. Don't you have a rant about non-provisioned MS Exchange devices in you somewhere... and there's a thread for that.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: