Posts: 144 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hamburg
After Feb 11 I looked into webOS, got a developer pre2, made an app. I like webOS a lot. In some parts webOS ist years ahead, developing for webOS 3 with Enyo has actually no entrance barrier. Open your browser and go.

But compared to Feb 11 and Meego the HP move is far more brutal. I think Apotheker will sell the patents for a good price. It's the right time for it, at least in his eyes. I don't see a licensing deal for webOS.

Hopefully they will release Enyo as open-source. It would have a big impact for upcoming HTML5 times...

Actually I feel really sad for the devs, Jaaksi included. They all carry around a big headache these days, I'm sure...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mbo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
Bada is TouchWiz, yes kind of, what the android stolen parts are, you have to explain. The core is Nucleus,
I don't believe Samsung have stated which kernel they've used on any particular device but the copyrights on the Wave II suggests it has a BSD kernel. The Bada platform is designed so it could use the Linux kernel too by the way.

Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
...but it is still Linux. Bada is something completely new, better, more efficient, a multitasking smartphone OS...
Multitasking? Err, kind of... the stuff Samsung has preinstalled can multitask with one installed app but that's it.

If you'd used the Bada SDK you'd know there are events triggered when your app is put into a state of suspended animation and for when it's woken up again. You have to handle these events so when a user returns to your app it appears to be in the same state they left it in, it's a kind of faux multitasking.

Programming for Bada also feels extremely old, you have to handle memory management yourself and there's no built in exceptions. I very much doubt there's anything about Bada that is "something completely new"

Last edited by switch-hitter; 2011-08-23 at 18:48.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
On-Topic:
I read the full original interview on Helsingin Sanomat. One interesting tidbit. Jaaksi was headhunted by HP already summer 2010, but he didn't leave despite already being quite disillusioned about Nokia. Anssi Vanjoki leaving was the final straw that made him leave late 2010. After Anssi's departure he felt like he didn't really have any place left in Nokia.

Off-topic:
Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
I very much doubt there's anything about Bada that is "something completely new"
TouchWiz UI--->Samsung Android phones
Webkit based browser--->Safari, Symbian, Android etc.
Eclipse-->zillion things
Real time OS ----> Most (/all?) dumb- and featurephones, microwave ovens, industrial robots etc, etc.
Running on ARM processor architecture----->Gigazillion things.

Hard to see what is so revolutionary. Its basicly a feature phone with iPhone clone UI.

Having said that, Bada phones are actually quite nice.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post: