Active Topics

Closed Thread
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
@Abill: C'mon man, if you want people here to take you seriously then you have to show that you get FOSS, because AFAIK that's the core audience here.

Otherwise you can preach to the super-niche to the exclusively-commercial developers here and to the 'pure' non-FOSS-sympathizing users, which I'm guessing have very2 low count and/or non vocal in ongoing discussions.
Last time I checked, you didn't NEED a community for closed-source.. probably because IT'S A CLOSED-AUDIENCE of the first-party... kept secluded from the third party of developers, distributors, vendors and customers. I'm pretty sure that any similarities to a community is purely coincidental and unintentional.

Originally Posted by IcyMoustache View Post
dont know whom to curse,
1. abill for not understanding this community,
2. or the moderators who are destroying the community by not banning abill
Curse Nokia for failing to communicate, failing to listen, failing to care, failing to support, frustrating their own engineers and customers and generally STARTING a great thing well, and killing it through ineptitude and hubris. Their own choices and failings are what eventually led to abill_uk's postings as well as many others. I can't blame them for speaking their mind out, so much as having the ability to say these things and not get drowned out by far more constructive threads.

That's my take, anyway.

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Because this is a Nokia forum allbeit if a dying one.
No, this is a Maemo forum. Sadly, Nokia is the only hardware manufacturer that made anything that runs Maemo--thanks to their closed-mindedness... But it still was never about Nokia (take, for instance, its original name of InternetTabletTalk.com ...it's a shame we don't go back to that, given there are now a LOOOOOT of tablets out there running LOTS of OS's. What a stupid, crying shame.)

Originally Posted by timoph View Post
http://maemo.org/intro/
Thank you. THAT!
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by timoph View Post
Maemo Community is an open source community developing software around the Maemo platform
Come on, wake up: Maemo Community was an open source community developing software around the now dead Maemo platform.

Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
I am a realist and whilst i like to dream, it is not always possible in this world to have your dreams come true.

I wonder what Abill_uk really dreams about in his tiny little mind. I reckon it's 10 kilo's of Cocaine, some Methadone, perhaps a few clean needles and some shoes with no holes in.

And maybe a strong man to take him out to dinner to take his mind away from his Maemo worries.

Last edited by JamesBond@ge; 2011-09-04 at 08:14.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
Come on, wake up: Maemo Community was an open source community developing software around the now dead Maemo platform.
InternetTabletTalk on the other hand, was an active community about TABLETS long before it decided to become myopic to Maemo. THAT still would carry far more than an already-failing platform like Windows Phone 7.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
yep. your statement should answer you why so many developers (including me) are moving or have already moved on to other open source projects. You won't see many open source developers or hackers moving to windows or other closed platforms.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post:
Posts: 279 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Holland
You are grasping it the wrong way abill, maemo nor meego are dead platforms, for there is still development going on at both sides, with members who support it. Meego has not seen the last update, nor maemo5 with the community SSU.

This is a site for all maemo and meego related handsets/internet tablets. I don't see WP having any role here.

If I may get personal here, too: WPx is far more dead to me than Maemo and MeeGo will ever be. Yes I can say that, on a MAEMO forum. No hard feelings

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blipnl For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
No, this is a Maemo forum. Sadly, Nokia is the only hardware manufacturer that made anything that runs Maemo--thanks to their closed-mindedness... But it still was never about Nokia (take, for instance, its original name of InternetTabletTalk.com ...it's a shame we don't go back to that, given there are now a LOOOOOT of tablets out there running LOTS of OS's. What a stupid, crying shame.)
That was/is the problem as we all know Nokia being the only Maemo device manufacturer but that has all gone now and there is neither development going on or a hardware manufacturer willing to make a Maemo device hence the reason dev's have left now and the community is shutting down on Maemo slow but sure.

The only device left is the N9 and you just can not base a community on that one device, absurd to even suggest.

Meego has gone another route and judging by the response's on this forum it is not doing too good is it so all in all we got a situation on our hands.

The future of Nokia is however resulting in WP development so can this community even be a part of that? or will it be closed source?.

I have a rght to ask same as anyone else but some feel the need to be stupid by posting stupid comments and pictures, for what????.

My point still has not been answered because of stupidity on the thread and that is the future of this community, it DOES involve every member so why not at least be sensible about it instead of trying to be smart asses !.

Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
Abill_uk needs a man to take him out to catch a movie, maybe a nice dinner somewhere after. He needs to let all this rubbish that he dreams about go.

Last edited by JamesBond@ge; 2011-09-04 at 08:25.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by blipnl View Post
You are grasping it the wrong way abill, maemo nor meego are dead platforms, for there is still development going on at both sides, with members who support it. Meego has not seen the last update, nor maemo5 with the community SSU.

This is a site for all maemo and meego related handsets/internet tablets. I don't see WP having any role here.

If I may get personal here, too: WPx is far more dead to me than Maemo and MeeGo will ever be. Yes I can say that, on a MAEMO forum. No hard feelings
They are dying because of lack of interest and as you well know Maemo may well be a great interest to you and me but where are the developers?.

This WP could well spell the end of interest from the developers point of view in that there is nothing left to develop Maemo or Meego for so where we go now???.

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to F2thaK For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
stillborn os, wp7 ate n9