Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
How many people on TMO have run Windows 7 on a decent-spec machine in 2009 (>1GHz, 1GB RAM, =>60GB HDD, DX9 capable)?
It's actually pretty good, and rarely if ever crashes.
Explorer in Windows 7 was actually a huge leap forward even if nothing changed much except for the taskbar.
When I tried Metro on Windows 8, it was just terrible. Oh I hope that **** isn't turned on by default, and it checks whether a touch display is attached before turning Immersive Shell on.
Sharp window corners are nice though.

I quite like the Metro UI, though only portable devices. Would never use it on my PC.
I would think the desktop version wont come default with the Metro UI. It would be catastrophic if it did imo.

Other than that i do also think Microsoft seems to be getting it. It would have not even crossed in to my mind to buy Windows tablet just some months ago.
Now i can honestly say that it's probably my favorite tablet OS before really knowing too much of details about it. Something i was hoping for Apple to bring as the rumors before iPad where more about OSX transferred to tablet, rather than iOS to bigger screen.
My desktop use has dropped about 40% after getting ipad 2, but i notice all the time wanting just a bit more from it.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I'm excited about this just because MS still has the best handwriting recognition engine out there and they still have the best notebook-analogue in OneNote.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
Originally Posted by Laughing_Man View Post
Care to explain why they are trying to piss on desktop's users? Metro can be disabled, and run in mouse friendly Aero mode. And on a side note, I found the ribbon interface on the windows explorer fantastic. I really liked to see more functionality on screen.
I watched the whole microsoft build event and nowhere it was mentioned that metro can be disabled butlets say it can. Do you think metro and legacy desktop are getting the same attention from MS??? Where do you think the money is going?? What changed since windos 7 on the desktop GUI??? I agree on ribbon BTW.

Originally Posted by Zoxir View Post
I watched the whole microsoft build event and nowhere it was mentioned that metro can be disabled butlets say it can. Do you think metro and legacy desktop are getting the same attention from MS??? Where do you think the money is going?? What changed since windos 7 on the desktop GUI??? I agree on ribbon BTW.
True. there was no hint that it could be disabled. But a simple registry edit (just turn a value from 1 to 0). I could bet they didnīt mention it because they want metro to be tested. Isnīt it the point of this release?

Legacy, OTOH, could still be improved, but if people is "happy" the way it is on Win 7 (I still see people crying over the ribbon in explorer), the best thing they could to improve it, is make it consume less resources, make it faster, which for the looks of it, they are doing.

What do you think should be changed on the current UI?

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
I'm excited about this just because MS still has the best handwriting recognition engine out there and they still have the best notebook-analogue in OneNote.
and virtually the _only_ voice recognition software....

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
True. there was no hint that it could be disabled. But a simple registry edit (just turn a value from 1 to 0). I could bet they didnīt mention it because they want metro to be tested. Isnīt it the point of this release?
Metro UI can be turned off, reverting to what is basically a Win7 UI unless you open a Metro app. Metro apps always run in the Metro UI. At least that's my understanding.

Of course they want testing and feedback on Metro, because as you say, the real point of Win8 vs Win7 is unification of developement and the introduction of a unified app store for desktop, tablet and phone Win versions.

That said, and to get back on-topic, I don't see any comparable effort on the Linux side to integrate and unifiy desktop and mobile Linux, much less a centralized, unified Linux 'app store'. And as much as I endorse and enjoy the freedom and choices Linux provides, I'm really beginning to think that, given the direction things are going having the option of an integrated system is the only way Linux will make a major market impact beyond servers.

IOW, desktop Linux (i.e. Gnome, KDE,etc.) is still trying to compete with Win7 and OSX. Mobile Linux is gasping for breath. MS and Apple are preparing to unify their desktop and mobile efforts. IMHO, Linux developers must come up with a similar (hopefully superior) comprehensive effort if Linux has any hope of ever finally becoming a true 'mainstream' OS. No longer can mobile and desktop be treated as separate systems.
Registered Linux user #266531.

Last edited by Crashdamage; 2011-09-17 at 15:56.

The Following User Says Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens

Legacy, OTOH, could still be improved, but if people is "happy" the way it is on Win 7 (I still see people crying over the ribbon in explorer), the best thing they could to improve it, is make it consume less resources, make it faster, which for the looks of it, they are doing.

What do you think should be changed on the current UI?
Regedit is not something that average joe will like. People might be happy now but who knows people might not be happy in 2 years. Just imagine having to work and go throught tiles and metro and regular desktop apps.

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
Just wanted to get some thoughts about this. I'm increasingly concerned that MS is actually beginning to get it, that they are putting a workable long-term plan together. Simply put, in the article linked below the point is made that the new Win 8 'Metro' UI will unify the look and development process for desktop Win, tablets and WinPhone. Developers will be able write once and an app will be available in a new MS market for desktops, tablets or phones. Android and Apple are making similar moves to blur the lines between desktop and mobile use.

Think about that for a bit. It means MS will be able to use their near-total domination of hundreds of millions of dekstops as leverage to gain mobile marketshare and influence developers. It strikes me as the smartest thing MS has done since trashing Win9x, maybe ever.

Thing is, how should Linux counter? Is it long past time to think in terms of Gnome vs KDE vs LDXE vs Fluxbox etc? To simplify the end-user experience and start work on a unified UI that will allow Linux developers to write once for all 3 major hardware formats and users to access some sort of unified app repository?

http://m.infoworld.com/d/application...t_s_big_gamble
IMO there is one fundamental flaw in this. Desktop is no place for "apps". Desktop is the one (and only?) place for the web, and a good browser is all it takes. The time isn't quite here yet, but soon everything will be "the web". A unified environment is needed for this, and that is what Windows future is all about; not one or the other, but web and apps and desktop and everything else in one unified shabang. It's what java, Android, Qt , whatever - should have been, but never became.

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
The desktop already is and will continue to be a place for 'apps'. Most people install lotsa apps on their computers, just not from 'app stores' like they do their mobile devices. That's gonna change and soon.

Maybe one day everything will be 'the web' ala Google's Chrome OS vision. But that's a very long way off and will have to jump some high hurdles such as legacy software (particularly business) security concerns, speed, bandwith, data caps, etc. etc. etcm
Registered Linux user #266531.

The Following User Says Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post: