Active Topics

Hello everyone, before I continue, I would like to thank the Maemo community for making Maemo 5 the ultimate OS a phone could have. I mean what maemo 5 could do 3 years ago and what it can do now....it is overwhelming. The amount of effort the programmers have put in it is breathtaking. I am not a programmer, I am but an end user. I can only imagine the sleepless nights and hours spent on making maemo 5 what it is today. This is in turn has made the n900 the phone to have.

In saying that the n900 is not perfect it lacked the multitouch capacitive function. What are the chances of making a port of maemo 5 on the n950s with multitouch support and flash 10? I know that the n950s are not for sale, but I could see nokia releasing the device in the future on the context that people want a physical keyboard. I also know that there is cordia that is a graphical shell that runs on meego. But I was specifically thinking about the maemo os itself. As we know the maemo 5 os allows you to browse any website in its entirety, non of that mobile version of any site. the experience of the os itself is awsome.

I am not seeking any hate, its just wishful thinking on my behalf really. This is Rafpac posting this thread from his n900 with community ssu. Peace.

Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
If the N950 has a microSD slot it would be a lot easier but it doesn't have. And the 16gb is not enough for both OS.

It better to beg the project maintainer to release their software for harmattan, with the support of physical keyboard.

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Originally Posted by rafpac View Post

In saying that the n900 is not perfect it lacked the multitouch capacitive function. ...

It lacked multitouch period. Not having capacitive screen is definitly a plus; in my experience capacitive screens, regardless of the number of fingers, suck way more than resistive screens.

The Following User Says Thank You to TiagoTiago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
get over it....

1. There is 0% chance this will be done. It would make more sense to have Meego on the N900 than Maemo on N950. Maemo is abandoned and Meego is..er..we'll see.

2. Even if a port was done, seeing as there is no apparent way to obtain an N950, how will this ever benefit you?

I have hope that the n950 will be released after the community makes it end user ready.......maybe. If not, it can always be ported to the n9 which is basically a n950 without a physical keyboard. Maemo in no is abandoned. Nokia might not give a **** about it but there are people still out there making it an awsome os.

There is only so much that can be done from the community. These developers do this work in their free time without any kind income. Besides, parts of maemo are closed.

And I stand by my previous points. It doesn't make sense to port maemo to N950 or the N9.

If "I have hope that the n950 will be released after the community makes it end user ready......."
then theres a chance. but if it won't having multitouch capability for n900 is a much more possible approach than porting maemo to n950