I tried the N9 today.
I couldn't believe it, the browser loaded pages faster than my SGSII.

Sure the test wasn't 100% correct, but it was approximate. But it was on the same network and it was HSDPA speed on both.

The GUI was awesome.
Coolest phone ever.

This phone can definitely compete against the iPhone for the "stupid" mass

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to eikido For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Some weird thoughts went through my head...

I know that Elop and the rest of Nokia knew nothing about the MeeGo folding into Tizen announcement; however they will still try to benefit from by stating that it would not have been beneficial to them.
It's pretty clear they caused it, if Nokia or anybody else tries to blame a lack of direction on Intel they are very much mistaken. Put yourself in Intels shoes. You partner with Nokia who then out of the blue kills its support for it. This leads the general public to believe Meego=Nokia and Nokia dropping support means Meego is a dead platform. what should Intel do?

1) Rebranding

You now have no handset partner. What do you do?

2) Approach the biggest you can, Samsung

Samsung negotiate to include aspects of thier linux mobile OS LiMo. Qt becomes something that does not benefit Samsung or Intel directly so it's not compulsory but is not closed to it.

3) Tizen is born

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Cue View Post
<SNIP>Samsung negotiate to include aspects of thier linux mobile OS LiMo.
Qt becomes something that does not benefit Samsung or Intel directly so it's not compulsory but is not closed to it.

3) Tizen is born
Well thought out, and pretty-much agreed.
I think Intel still has some liability in it all, but that's a whole other debate.
Re this:
so it's not compulsory but is not closed to it.
Do we have any info. to suggest that Qt will/can still play a big role?
I haven't had a chance to read any of the big threads etc yet.
I really do hope so, at least for the first year or so...

There were also rumours recently that Samsung's planning to open Bada.
Is it feasible perhaps that they may also merge Bada's upper/middle-ware into Tizen?

Bada's kernel I believe is closed/proprietary, & not owned by Samsung.
But apparently Bada was designed from the outset to be easily decoupled from the kernel.
It just seems logical at this pont that they consolidate the no. of OS's they're working on.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-09-28 at 21:50.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
whats next is that "maemo6 harmattan" is stil alive and first PR upgrade around a month after release. atleast what nnokia said today.
That will invariably cover any updates, stability and issue fixes for Qt components/Qt Quick/QML. That's all that I read in that statement.

also meego core has been dead for months it seems. meegoux inactive but qt-components for harmattan active developed... so nothing new. activite development has been from the Meego 1.3 CE team for n9xx and funny is some of those is actually Nokia employers.
Dead? Not when there was a looming update.

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by eikido View Post
This phone can definitely compete against the iPhone for the "stupid" mass
That's if they can find one. I suggest this song as the backing for the next N9 ad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQnHAb_6sOs

Woah Mexico
It sounds so simple I just gotta go
Nobody sells the N9 close to home
I guess I gotta go now

My website

GitHub

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
whats next is that "maemo6 harmattan" is stil alive and first PR upgrade around a month after release. atleast what nnokia said today.
Where have they officially said 1st major release/update (PRx.x) is coming 1mth after N9 availability?

so gerbick any word on the 64gb Mexican N9?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to somedude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Cue View Post
It's pretty clear they caused it, if Nokia or anybody else tries to blame a lack of direction on Intel they are very much mistaken. Put yourself in Intels shoes. You partner with Nokia who then out of the blue kills its support for it. This leads the general public to believe Meego=Nokia and Nokia dropping support means Meego is a dead platform. what should Intel do?

1) Rebranding

You now have no handset partner. What do you do?

2) Approach the biggest you can, Samsung

Samsung negotiate to include aspects of thier linux mobile OS LiMo. Qt becomes something that does not benefit Samsung or Intel directly so it's not compulsory but is not closed to it.

3) Tizen is born
so where was Intels handset HW again!? remember there is two sides of this mess. Bussiness as usual. Intel is NOT a good guy in this mess... Both company failed from day one...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by somedude View Post
so gerbick any word on the 64gb Mexican N9?
While at it, anybody from Nor or Swe know a shop from where i can get N9 for next week?

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Where have they officially said 1st major release/update (PRx.x) is coming 1mth after N9 availability?
maybe not exactly a month but "short after release". infact it was a link posted in this thread (to lazy go back check... but posted today...)

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????