Active Topics

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 312 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ P.A.
Originally Posted by warrentaye View Post
well yes? sorry if I used the lurker thing wrongly, but I have been reading these forums for a couple years now just never signed up. since the NA release of the n900. so yea i guess its almost 2 years, almost a couple lol.
Soo in other words, your really abill_uk...

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by Reffyyyy View Post
I wasn't aware that they were comparable devices. I most certainly don't consider my tablet as a replacement/alternative to my phone, it's more of a general family device (otherwise known as Couch Surfing).

Mileage may vary, of course.

I don't think it's very likely that either OS will be installable. Every attempt to port MeeGo to another ARM device has been roadblocked by graphic drivers. This will very likely be a similar case. Unless it's Tegra 2...

http://www.meegoexperts.com/2011/07/...battle-ground/

We would need to know the kernel version of the Kindle Fire though.

Unfortunately, search results suggest OMAP4.

The price is good, regardless of the increase we'll be getting. It'll sell to families, that's for sure.
The only downside to it is it can not make telephone calls but as a tablet wow it is very very cheap and the way to go.

Does not support 2g or 3g and has a 1GHz TI OMAP dual-core with 512mb ram.

This whole Tizen business has left a sour taste in my mouth...more sour than usual
Would we ever get a real true open source smartphone? ever??

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hotnikkelz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by hotnikkelz View Post
This whole Tizen business has left a sour taste in my mouth...more sour than usual
Would we ever get a real true open source smartphone? ever??
Every member of this community wants that including me but sadly it will never ever happen.

Posts: 135 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Sep 2011 @ San Fran
Originally Posted by scapegoat845 View Post
Soo in other words, your really abill_uk...
LOL no . . I just think the n9 is a great device, not here to cause drama, nor compare. Everyone has different needs in a device, I like what the n9 brought to the table.

I was following the thread and saw the opportunity to maybe obtain one at a reasonable price in the US. I decided to finally sign up since that was easiest way to connect. Sorry if that is something frowned upon, please let me know.

Last edited by warrentaye; 2011-09-29 at 02:30.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to warrentaye For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
The only downside to it is it can not make telephone calls but as a tablet wow it is very very cheap and the way to go.

Does not support 2g or 3g and has a 1ghz duel cpu with 512mb ram.
As long as the Uk price doesn't exceed £200, it'll probably sell more than any other tablet around here (sans iPad). The only real contender at that price is an Advent Vega (or any variant of its board) which you can get for £130-£140 refurb. Same specs except the screen is really awful.

If the tablet had 3G, I'd probably buy it. It could be useful on the train.

The Following User Says Thank You to Reffyyyy For This Useful Post:
As long as the Uk price doesn't exceed £200, it'll probably sell more than any other tablet around here (sans iPad). The only real contender at that price is an Advent Vega (or any variant of its board) which you can get for £130-£140 refurb. Same specs except the screen is really awful.

If the tablet had 3G, I'd probably buy it. It could be useful on the train.
I think your right for sure because of it's price it will sell in the millions.

I just wish it had telephone capabilities, if it had of done it would have been a deal breaker of all time !!.

I am totally pissed off with Nokia because the last 3 devices they have brought out has now ceased to have support and like you i am looking for something i can use on a daily basis that actually has support going for it.

N900 no support N9 no support N950 no support and not even available to the general public.

All are overpriced by a long way (apart from the N950 being a developers freeby) and people pay magnitudes to end up with no support? very very bad in my opinion.

Looks like all we have to look forward to now is WP and for sure at least THAT will have support because of the Microsoft element.

Here is the best writeup i can find for the Kindle Fire.

http://www.techlicious.com/blog/the-...-kindle-fire/#

"The Amazon Kindle Fire will ship on November 15th and is available for pre-order today."

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Yeah, I'm not even going to address that.

Maybe we should talk about how zauruses/zauris has similar directory structure of *nix based mainframes of yesteryears.
What the hell?? Are you trying to start a SVR4 vs BSD vs Linux war now??? Also... Atari was better.

I wasn't aware that they were comparable devices. I most certainly don't consider my tablet as a replacement/alternative to my phone, it's more of a general family device (otherwise known as Couch Surfing).

Mileage may vary, of course.
In my case, because of the Galaxy Tab's 7-inch form factor--which fits easily in everything from my trouser pockets to the jacket pockets without any modification--I bring it and use it everywhere and it literally gets used FAR more than my cell phone and runs all the same applications (even the ones I already purchased)... which leaves my phone free to be a phone more often than if I didn't have my tablet. ...so, it CAN replace it. It just depends on the individual, form factor, compatibility, support and so on.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
What the hell?? Are you trying to start a SVR4 vs BSD vs Linux war now??? Also... Atari was better.

In my case, because of the Galaxy Tab's 7-inch form factor--which fits easily in everything from my trouser pockets to the jacket pockets without any modification--I bring it and use it everywhere and it literally gets used FAR more than my cell phone and runs all the same applications (even the ones I already purchased)... which leaves my phone free to be a phone more often than if I didn't have my tablet. ...so, it CAN replace it. It just depends on the individual, form factor, compatibility, support and so on.
Galaxy Tab is a full form factor mobile phone and a hell of a lot more expensive than the Kindle Fire old chap .

And yes Atari was the best in them days .

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????